PDA

View Full Version : finally some skiing

titaniumed
04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I finally got the nerve up and went skiing after 14 months post surgery! It was not a problem at all! In fact it went quite well.
I skied Park City, Utah last week and it was just what the Doctor ordered.

It actually was "an order" from my Doctor to go skiing. Of course I didn't listen and ventured up into the "Jupiter bowls" where Stein Erikson did some of the first flips for the Campbell's soup commercials in the 60s. It is double black diamond up there, and a fall would not be a good thing. I still have my "cats balance" which is amazing with being totally fused.

I have absolutely no more back pain. None now, not even the "bear traps" in the upper spine and no more fatigue. Surgery was an overwhelming success in my case. It was no party, but it was worth it! Whew!
Ed

chello_ns
04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
That sounds awesome!
I'm only 5 weeks post op but live in Banff, Alberta. I can't wait to someday return to the hill!
Way to go Ed!

Susie*Bee
04-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Congrats on a great comeback! You look to be in great form... :cool: And that is fabulous scenery too. Thanks for posting the pics and sharing your "return to the slopes" with us. Now, when are you going diving again???? Have a happy and blessed Easter-- to you and all the forum too.

debbei
04-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm so thrilled for you Ed. You certainly deserved to have a great time. It's nice to finally see you!

titaniumed
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello Chello !

Banff is a great place! I was up there and skied Louise,Sunshine, and heli skied with RK in Panorama years ago. With living up in Banff, I'm assuming that you ski? You wouldn't be one of those 'elk chasers" now would you? At least you have some of the best hot springs up there, to soak you back. You should be good to go skiing next season. PS they still party like rock stars at Mellissa's? LOL

Susie Bee

That tip stand photo is terrible. I did do several tip rolls after the camera was put away. Just testing things out on the first day out. Still a little weak, as the skiing muscles have not been worked in 14 mos.

The diving will probably happen in August when things slow down. I'm more exited about skiing right now. I'm going back next week!

Remember Burt Munro from "the worlds fastest Indian? Well I had to ck out the Bonneville salt flats.
Ed

Pooka1
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Ti Ed!

It warms my heart to see you back on the slopes!

When you mentioned how many ski seasons you have had, I can only begin to imagine what a hard time you had with the thought of missing one.

But you are back!!! And in great form it seems.

Banff is beyond beautiful. We went several times when living in Calgary.

And it is amazing to realize that the salt flats at Bonniville are some 9,000 years old being the remnant of an ice age lake dating to at least 15,000 years ago.

Best regards,
sharon

JenniferG
04-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Congratulations Ed, on making it back onto the slopes. How exciting for you! I hope other health issues are under control.

hope404
04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Titaniumed,

Thanks so much for posting those pictures...so encouraging to hear "surgery was an overwhelming success"...and then to see it with my own eyes

Thanks..love HAPPY news!!!!

Best wishes.

asccbodypro
04-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Ed,

I am envious of your scenery!!! I grew up in New Hampshire but am in Virginia Beach now. I love the ocean don't get me wrong. Spent summers at the beach in Naragansett, RI. There is nothing like the mountains though. I am so glad that you are back doing what you love. I am hoping that someday I will be able to enjoy the gym again as I once did. Even if it's not to the same level. I am pretty sure I will get there. As you once said though, bodybuilding and Scoli may not mix well. Time shall tell :O)

Singer
04-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Wow Ed, you look totally "normal".....!!!! Congratulations on getting back to doing what you love.

titaniumed
04-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys. The low fat diet works well and I will stick to it.

Chris, yes normal. You cannot tell I have been fused all the way. Its funny, at the last scoli meeting down in Sac, I could tell who is fused and who isn't and guess what levels. It comes with years of thinking about scoliosis.

Here are a few more pics of Utah. What does Utah mean? sounds like a medical term.
"Ohh, my Utah is sore today" LOL
Ed

loves to skate
04-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Ed, you look great, and so does the scenery. I am so happy for you. As a roller skater, I know what it means to get back to doing what you love to do. Three cheers!!!:) Sally

52skeedoo
04-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Ed --

Awesome pictures. I especially liked the ones of you. You do look "normal". This is very inspiring for someone who is awaiting surgery in the near future.

Thanks for the uplifting stories !

Sheri /52skeedoo