Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-op

Hey everyone,

Had my pre-op today and am a little disappointed that I am back to having two surgeries instead of one. My doc feels that he will get a better correction this way. So the first surgery is still April 15th and the second one will be a week later on April 22. What the heck!!!!!!

The nerves have set in and my stomach is in knots. He did prescribe Ambien for me so I can get some sleep though over the next few days...thank god!

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling great!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Good luck!

Hello,
    Good luck on your surgeries!!! Things will be fine. Hopefully the meds he has prescribed helps!! I know how ya feel, with the two surgeries! I had one a year ago...depending on what we learn next week will depend on if I have to have another one! Errr. At least yours will be back to back and so you will recover all at once. Unlike if they did surgery on me again...I will be yet another year behind! lol Will be thinking of you!! Good luck! Keep us updated on how things go for ya!
    Diagnosed in '06'
    Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
    Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
    Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
    Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
    Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
    I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Your change in plans

[QUOTE=asccbodypro;74503]Hey everyone,

Had my pre-op today and am a little disappointed that I am back to having two surgeries instead of one. My doc feels that he will get a better correction this way. QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear your disappointing news. One thing I find interesting as I read through this forum is that doctors do things so differently. You are having your first surgery in a week and just got the doctor's decision about his approach.

I will be having an appointment April 27 (about 9 weeks pre-op) and that is when I am going to hear the news about whether the doctor wants to do a posterier-only, A/P all on one day, or two separate surgeries like you are having. I don't know if 9 weeks is such a good idea to wait (and worry) but that's the way my doc does it.

I have heard that many people have two surgeries and the results were very successful. I'm sure yours will be too. I will be thinking about you and looking forward to hearing from you in the weeks ahead.
      At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
      Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
      Excellent correction

Comment

Hey Susan - sorry to hear this!

Call me later tonight so we can chat. Thinking of you!!

Rach

Comment

Susan-- this is one of those times when you have to trust your surgeon's expertise and wisdom through it all. If he thinks that is what you need, then it's good he's saying so, even though you are disappointed. There are so many who go through A/P surgeries and you will have to absorb some strength from their stories... they are doing fine now. You are a strong person and you will make it through this-- and be an even stronger person for having done so. Sending hugs and encouragement-- Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

52skeedoo,

I am not sure why he changed his mind. He had told me in the very beginning as he looked closer at my case his original plan could change. It is a military facility and things tend to be handled a little bit differently that in a civilian/private hospital. His very first plan was 2 surgeries and then it went to 1 and now back to 2 because he wants to use the XLIF approach with me and thinks he will have success in doing so.

I figure it is his job to worry about particulars lol. On one hand I am happy not to have to be under for so long but on the other hand, I don't want 2 surgeries. I guess if it works better than that's that! I am feeling completely wiped out 2night. I am sure many of you can relate!!!!

Also, I must add that I feel very lucky that this is a military facility due to the lack of limitations with insurance coverage. He is using all the best methods and material and I can't really ask for more than that. As you said earlier it's amazing all the different approaches. Some doc's feel confident using particular approaches vs. other approaches. My doc said he wants to fix my curve the best way for me the first time and will use whatever method available to occomplish that. Ya for me:O)

RACHEL: Will chat with u 2night!

Take care everyone!
            Susan

Comment

Susan~
              I'm sorry to hear you are having two surgeries. Will you go home or stay in the hospital the whole time? I wish you could take your computer, I want to know how you are doing.

I am a nervous wreck! With the stomach pains, stress headaches and just general nerves are wearing thin onall of us. It helped knowing your stomache is in knots too.

My pre op was at the hospital and just routine lab, ekg and paperwork...oh yeah co-pays.

Good luck!
              ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
              pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
              post-surg 22* Thoracic.
              Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Trust

[QUOTE=Susie*Bee;74526]Susan-- this is one of those times when you have to trust your surgeon's expertise and wisdom ....

Susie,

You are so right and that is what I am goin to do. Just getting nervous now, but as we all know short term pain for long term gain! I think my lack of sleep has played into my nervousness. I am catching up a bit and my outlook is much better:O) Thank you for the encouragement, you are wonderful!
                Susan

Comment

nerves

Em,

You asked if I was staying in the hospital the whole time. Nope! Two days and thats it. Naturally I was very surprised and my doc laughed and said by two days I would be ready and wanting to go home and feels that I will get much more rest....barring any complications of course and assumming that my pain in controlled well. As far as the stomach. Big time knots and nerves oh ya! However, I have caught up on my sleep a little bit and I find my outlook is always much more positive when I am well rested. I don't function well with little to no sleep! I am so lucky that I don't have to worry about co-pays seeing how we are military....there's a plus right out of the gate. Take care and good luck. I hope your nerves sub-side a little bit or at the very least you are getting more sleep than me lol! Good luck!
                  Susan

Comment

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the encouragement! You always have such as good positive spirit, I love it. I hope that you are feeling better these days. Have they figured out what is going on yet? You mentioned meds.....yes, lets hope that they offer the best. That's one thing the military is good at. Throwing all sorts of meds at you. My husband will be on that one making sure I am filled to the nines lol :O) Take care and hope you continue to feel better.
                    Susan

Comment

Good luck....sorry to hear about the A/P & the 2 sep. surgeries. That does kinda stink BUT Im sure there is a very good reason for it. Take it easy this week....we will all be thinkin of you!!

Lynn
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital
                      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
                      X