Please help, health concerns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, health concerns!

I was reading somewhere that wearing scoli braces can cause muscular distrophy and the full spine x-rays increase chances of getting breast cancer! I'm scared because having scoliosis is bad enough as it is. Does anyone know the chances of getting muscular distrophy? And does doing physio exercises or yoga (when out of the brace) decrease the risk? Because I know you can't move your muscles in a brace. Anyway, I'm just really paranoid.

Stephanie. Fifteen.
    Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
    2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
    1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
    Curves are reversing in my brace!
    Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
    and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
    2 Halves.
    1 body.
    A curve.
    So what?
    Mistakes.
    They lie.
    Within.
    My spine.
    I.
    Do not.
    Match up.
    Inside.
    And outside.
    I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

I think you may be confusing muscular dystrophy with muscle atrophy (the latter is a side effect of wearing a brace for a prolonged period of time). Muscle atrophy is not permanent. I think muscular dystrophy can cause scoliosis but I am not aware that it works the other way around. If I am wrong about that, I'm sure someone will chime in to correct.
    Last edited by mamandcrm; 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Hey Stephanie ~ Not sure on the muscular dystrophy thing... I think that it is atrophy. When I came out of the brace they let me out for more hours a day and I had to work on my muscles. My hips were really stiff and I did physical therapy for awhile. I would think that if you had an exercise program when you were on "out of the brace" time it would help. On the x-rays causing cancer....that has been a concern of mine. My doctor tries to not xray me unless he has to and believe me, I have a bunch.
      Diagnosed in '06'
      Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
      Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
      Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
      Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
      Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
      I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Yes, I am pretty sure you are confusing the terms.
        Atrophy is a reduction in muscle size due to lack of use. I think that is why it is often recomended that you get some out of brace excercise time.
        Regarding the x-rays. It is a concern, but a very very very small concern.
        To further reduce the concern, they usually x-ray you back to front (PA x-ray means posteria anterior x-ray), they limit xrays to only when necessary and they usually cover susceptable parts of your body with lead shields.

BTW, nice poem. I see you wrote it a year ago. If you dont mind sharing, what was your curve size when first diagnosed?

Comment

Muscular dystrophy

Stephanie-
          I am a doctor, and I can assure you that braces do not cause muscular dystrophy. Muscular dystrophy (there are many types) is an inherited disorder. So don't worry about that- you have enough on your plate!
          : )

Lisa

7yo daughter with JIS
          dx at 6yrs with 11 degree, now 1 year later at 23 degree

Comment

Working...
          X