Spontaneous Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous Correction

I was going to post this in further response to Linda's question about the Greek study parameters but I see the thread is locked. I hope I didnt offend anyone, perhaps the conversation took a turn towards some things best not discussed in a public forum.

Anyway, Linda asked about initial curve information and I posted the link on the now-locked thread. I obtained the follow up paper and wanted to share the following:
    Of the 80 children who demonstrated complete spontaneous resolution of the scoliotic deformity, 41% (n = 33) had left thoracolumbar curves and 78.8% (n = 63) had an initial curve magnitude of between 10° and 12° (Table 2).

and, Table 2 is attached.

So these were mostly small curves which "Spontaneously" corrected. It is interesting that they didnt attribute this to measurement error. Nor did I see it spelled out if the curve went to zero or just fell below 10 degrees. Maybe I didnt read it carefully enough.

All smaller curves

If this sample is representative it's safe to say that in most cases it's the smaller curves that spontaneously resolve.

10 degrees = 38 (47.5%)
    11 degrees = 20 (25%)
    12 degrees = 5 (6.25%)
    13 degrees = 7 (8.75%)
    14 degrees = 2 (2.5%)
    15 degrees = 5 (6.25%)
    17 degrees = 2 (2.5%)
    18 degrees = 1 (1.25%)

Or looked at another way
    10-13 degrees = 70 (87.5%)
    14-18 degrees = 10 (12.5%)

Is there a distribution for curves that shrank by 5 degrees or those that didn't progress?
    Last edited by Dingo; 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Well, here are Tables 3 and 4

Comment

That table is awesome!!!

Just so I know, did this come from that study with the huge 85,000 child sample? I think something like 1500 kids had Scoliosis out of that large group.

That table is awesome!

Comment

Working...
        X