PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for after surgery???

scurve4947
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Does anyone know what type of clothes would be best for after surgery? I know that loose clothing is ideal but what about bras and bottoms. I have heard that my pants will fit differently and my clothes won't feel the same. Is this true? Any advice?

chello_ns
04-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey Scurve4947,
Im 3 weeks post op and still in PJs. I either go without a bra or where a really lose fitting shelf bra style bedtime tank top. Also, slipperry, silky PJs are best because they slide really well, less friction when your try to sit, get in and out of bed etc which I have found comes in very handy! As for bottoms go for comfort, try to wear underwear not prone to giving wedgies (Im serious) its hard to reach!
I also read your other post regarding age, Im 25 and finding things ok. I think Im definitely not healing as a paediatric patient but also think Im doing better than patients older than ourselves. But hey, at 3 weeks post op I still have a while to go before I can really judge!

JenniferG
04-03-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm 4.5 weeks post-surgery and I still haven't worn a bra. I have a bump on my back where my bra goes and I can't bear to touch it, let alone have something tight and hard pressing against it.

The skin on my back and right buttock is hypersensitive so wearing undies is quite uncomfortable. A bit of elastic feels like wire digging in, so I'm not keen on wearing them either.

I hope this sensitivity passes because I can't go forever without wearing underwear!

Other than that, it's nighties for sleeping comfort and light trackies for day.

theizzard
04-03-2009, 05:08 AM
i wear leggings with either long sleeved or short sleeved tshirts and i have worn a bra twice. once to see if i could and the other time for an interview i had to go on. most of the time i wear camisoles or tight tank tops under my tshirts which i will continue to do for as long as it takes. my whole back is hypersensitive and itches like mad and a bra adds to the discomfort. My first two weeks after surgery i didn't wear underwear because it was too difficult to manipulate it. The most difficult problem of all has been in the area of personal hygiene. As soon as I came home I went on Amazon and bought an appliance to help me with that because I couldn't reach at all immediately after surgery and it is only slightly better now.
avis:rolleyes:

JoAnn5
04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
A really soft sports bra that fastens in the front helps some. I couldn't stand the hooks right over my scar for quite a while. Amen to what chello says about the silky sleepwear. I can remember being so frustrated because i couldn't turn or scoot in bed right after i got home. Stay away from the flannels...lol.

debbei
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I lived in yoga pants for months. Instead of bras, I wore (and still do if I'm just at home) camisoles. Much more comfortable than a bra. My husband isn't complaining, he prefers the camisoles anyway. :)

becky331
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I have no idea how I'm different than everyone else. I wore a bra the 1st week after surgery and undies every since day 3. So far, no problems. Well, the brace I wear sometimes pushes the underwire up into my underarms...but that's mainly at night and I just take it off. I am still wearing my comfy pants and am at 5 weeks. I have had to put my jeans on a few times..problem is, they don't fit good. I have lost 5 lbs yet my jeans are entirely too tight...has anyone else had this problem? I'm worried something is different and they'll never fit.....
Anyways...it's all in what will work best for you. My incision never bothered me too much..mainly just tight...but the bra doesn't bother it at all.

nervous
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I am 6 weeks post op and still not wearing a bra. I plan to return to work in a couple weeks so I'll certainly need to wear one again soon! ;) I am fine wearing undies...G string is also fine.

I have lived in Nike/Rebok jogging outfits since the day I came home from the hospital. Velour outfits are comfy as well.

JanL
04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I was told "loose clothes" too but I could not fit into the "loose clothes" I brought to the hospital. I was so swollen, lots of fluid, especially my legs, like tree trunks! I had to send a friend to buy me some scrubs - very large scrubs - to leave the hospital. After ~ a week, I started loosing the fluid and could get back in my clothes.