View Full Version : Looking for Specialist in Michigan or Ohio Area

08-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Am looking for names of orthopedic spine surgeons specializing in Scoliosis in the Michigan or Ohio Area


08-27-2004, 11:13 PM
good luck finding one... most of them that used to do the surgery no longer practice in spines anymore. However, i just went to this spine place in ann arbor, part of the U of M health system. phone number is 734-615-1744 the place is called "the spine program" i had a scoliosis surgery at hurely 3 years ago, and recently fractured my L2, this is the only place i could find that would look at me. They are really good.

08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
You can find a list of specialists here:


08-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Hi Marion,
This Doctor performed surgery on a 21 year old buddy of mine.
Dr. Herkowitz at the Beaumont Orthopaedic Center. It's located at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak (Detroit) Michigan. Phone number is 1(248)551-9100.

Dr Dale Hoekstra in Rochester Hills, Michigan He specializes in spinal deformities and has been performing surgery for over 20 years. He also used to be head of spinal deformities at Henry Ford hospital.

I know of two people on www.scoliosis-support.org who will be happy to share their experiences of both surgeons with you.It's impossible to endorse or recommend a surgeon as all you can do is hear other people's experiences and try to make your own judgement call when you meet him.Also as an adult patient try to get a few opinions if possible.
Check out the x ray gallery at www.scoliosis-support.org to view a series of before and after photos and x rays of one of Dr Herkowitz's patients.Be warned it shows pictures of some fresh incisions shortly after surgery.For this reason I won't post a direct link, but it's there if you wish to find it.
Regards ,

09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
How far are you from Fort Wayne, IN? I live in northwestern Ohio and my doctor is in Fort Wayne with Orthopedics Northeast. His name is Dr. Hoffman and I highly recommend him. I had surgery May of 2003 and am doing great now. It was a tough year of recovery and I will not sugar coat it and say it was easy. But I am glad that I had the surgery. I wish you luck.

09-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi Marion,

Since 1954 the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor has been doing Spinal Surgery, also St. Mary's Hospital in Ann Arbor also is one of the movers in this specialty. In fact they do at least two or three surgery of the spine per week at St. Mary's, check out either of these hospitals once you have made your decision for surgery, you will need a referal. Their is also a hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan that does some Spinal Surgery but they will refer to Ann Arbor if it is necessary. But U of M has my personal vote and recommendation. Good Luck and God Bless.

09-12-2004, 02:26 PM
definetly U of M, they are wonderful compared to anywhere else i've been.

02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
My daughter was just seen by Dr Michelle Caird at the U of M and wondered if anyone has had surgery by her. We are scared, because we were expecting her to just need a brace and were shocked to find out she needs surgery. She is 12 yrs old with 42 and 61 degree curvature. Thanks

02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I wasn't impressed with the docs at U of M, and others who I talked to who were patients there agreed. I tried to see Herkowicz at Beaumont, but he doesn't do scoliosis surgery anymore. So, I saw his partner, Kurz. Also, not impressed. I went with Dr. David Montgomery, also out of Beaumont. He has a fellowship in this area, and is a member of SRS. He also came highly recommended by the reps of Depuy, who are very familiar with the work of local spinal surgeons. See Oaklandortho.com

I also saw Dr. Glenn Minster in Macomb, MI, he practices out of St. John Hospital. I really liked him too, and he is a scoliosis specialist. He was my 2nd choice of surgeon to Montgomery.

02-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi Marion,

Looks like you have lots of choices now, but I'll add another to your list. My Dr. at The Cleveland Clinic was Dr. Robert McClain. I love him.


02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Marion,

Looks like you have lots of choices now, but I'll add another to your list. My Dr. at The Cleveland Clinic was Dr. Robert McClain. I love him.



I am in Cleveland and am looking for a good scoliosis surgeon. I am 48 and my curve is appoximately 56 degrees. Can you please tell me if Dr. McClain specializes in this, and if you had a good experience with him? If you can email me my address is: Radiogirl1100@yahoo.com

Thank you very much!