I'm home - 7 days post op!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm home - 7 days post op!

Wow, it feels good to have this surgery DONE with!!! I was discharged from the hospital today (surgery was March 25) and am actually feeling pretty well despite some soreness/stiffness all over my back... which was to be expected. Anyway, surgery went as planned... my surgeon fused T2-L1 and I actually woke up in virtually no pain; just a little loopy, haha. Then I was rolled into ICU a few hours later and I was having a real hard time getting comfortable. The next day I was still feeling pretty good until my nurse ordered a CT scan first thing in the morning. I knew my dr. was pretty opposed to CT scans in the first place given the extremely high radiation exposure... so after insisting on speaking with him first it turned out my dr. was up tossing & turning all night because he thought a screw was sort of misplaced which COULD cause probs down the road (long story). After having and reviewing the CT scan and speaking w/ my fam, we decided to have another operation to fix the screw THAT DAY. It was awful. Nonetheless I was sitting the next day. and standing and climbing stairs the next. Also eating solid foods. Never really got sick, but did need a transfusion after the 2nd surgery (it just wore me out!) Anyway, logging off for now... still hurts to sit for a bit! I am in the process of updating a blog with pics and will share with all in the coming weeks!! Thanks for all the support!

OMG Jess, I'm gob-smacked!

So sorry you needed that second op, but how wonderfully you've handled it. I will be watching for your updates!

Please take care and let your body heal, it's been through the mill!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

WOW! You sound very cool about all that has happened - sounds like you are dealing with things well. Take good care of yourself - take it easy!

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Jess-- it's great to have you posting again. YIKES! That's too bad about the screw, but good that your surgeon realized there was a problem and it's resolved now. Take good care of yourself and rest up, eat right, and listen to your body as you start doing more. Gentle hugs, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

It's great to be home isn't it? You must be feeling pretty well to be posting already. Good thing your surgeon was on top of things and took care of the screw placement problem right away. You just focus on doing what your body tells you to do right now...if you need a nap but you've only been up for an hour, go ahead and take a nap! Eat good food and take advantage of all the people around you who want to help in any way they can!

Keep us updated as you're able!
          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
          Achieved +70% Correction
          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
          New Spine 03/19/2009
          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

2 surgeries in that short of a time....yikes! You said the surgeon "thought" there may be a screw loose/out of place? Did they know for sure during the xray they did immediatly following the surgery,or was he just guessing? Maybe all surgeons dont do that, but I know that mine, moments after the rods/screws were in place, 2 were taken of mine onthe operating table, to ensure everything was right. Well, despite your being 7 days out, you sound GREAT! Thats excelllent...I hope it continues!!

Take care & make sure to get alot of rest these next few weeks....dont let the drugs fool you for being pain free!

Lynn
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Well...thank goodness your surgeon has a conscience. I bet there are some out there that might just 'forget' about the little incident and then 'discover' it down the road when you're having problems. Was the 2nd surgery short?

Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

the screw that needed adjusting did not show up on the regular xrays taken during surgery. it was just something that kept the surgeon up all night thinking about and ordered a cat scan at 5 in the a.m. that confirmed his suspicion. it was something about a screw "pointing in the wrong direction" that could affect me later in life, such as severe arthritis. he wanted to take care of it now while I was young (25). the second surgery put an extra strain on my body, but I'm proud to say I'm already walking around pretty well, even stairs. My back pain is actually minimal with the meds. Unfortunately, with extreme adjusting on my left shoulder I assume, I'm experiencing severe muscle pain in that area, usually just when trying to sleep and find a comfortable position. One other uncomfortable issue is my stomach bloating/lack of bowel movement. I've tried everything!!!! Any other ideas I may not have thought of?

To everyone that is contemplating this surgery or is getting the surgery soon, my advice is to just do it--it's not as bad I anticipated. That was actually the worst part I feel so much more aligned, straighter. and relieved about future problems. And, I grew two inches

preop: T curve 52, lumbar curve 36
                postop: 18 and will straighten more over the coming months
                Lumbar curve is now 0!!

Comment

Did you try Miralax? It worked great for me. Also try the Fiber One products (cereal and/or snack bars) and drink a ton of water.
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Well, Im glad they found it and corrected it for you!!! 2 inches huh? Very cool!

My stomach issues which included swelling,bloating, puffiness & some uncomfortable feelings, didnt completely subside until a few weeks ago. Especially the bloating....ughh....that was not fun when NONE of your pants fit you! Im back into to most of them now....but they all fit differently now..meaning they actually now fit on my hips, where pre op, they sat about 1 1/2 inches from my belly button! The new figure is taking sometime to get used to! lol I still use Senokot for constipation. Its a natural stool softner & Im only taking one a day but up until about a month ago, I was taking 4 a day. Without it, Im not sure that I would have ever gone to the bathroom! Ugghh! Give that a try!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital
                    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I'm sorry you had to have a second operation, but aren't you glad your Doctor had that nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right. It isn't easy for some Doctors to admit they made a mistake. You are fortunate to have one with integrity. Take care and heal quickly.

Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                      X