Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here with many questions :)

Hi
    I am a 16 year old athlete with scoliosis since kindergarten. It hasn't been bad until recently and now all of a sudden its 48 degrees and surgery was brought up. However, being an athlete all i am hearing from doctors is I would never be able to play again if I get the surgery. I just feel so alone in this get it, not get it decision and I was wondering if there was anyone out there with the same situation or had the same situation?

Thanks!

It would depend on the sport. I know all doctors have different things.

My DD was told the only 2 sports she will never be able to go back to is Football and Gymnastics. Other than that, she can eventually go back to sports if she wanted. It's usually a full year recovery although restrictions are lifted gradually. She had her surgery in March & was told she could go back to cheerleading this fall. She is choosing not to do any sports though.

My DD had been doing gymnastics since she was 4 1/2...she was ready to give up gymnastics anyway, so she didn't mind that this past year was her last year of it.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks!!
      Field Hockey and Softball are my two sports. I am 100% not ready to give up my Field Hockey but softball I am willing..
      Did you guys have problems deciding whether or not to have the surgery, or was it a diffident must?

Comment

I am 17 years old and I love golf. My curve is around 60 and I am probably going to have the operation this summer. From what I have gathered it is very unclear how much my golf will be effected, the experts on the surgery don't know enough about golf to give a decisive answer and obviously my golf coaches don't know anything about the surgery. The general message that I get is that it probably will be restricted and I am just hoping that it won't be restricted too much and prevent me playing at a competitive level.
        Although it is a very difficult decision in regards to my sport situation, one factor that swings it for me is that when I walk 18 holes or spend an extensive time practising towards the end my back is agony and as much as I love the game I question whether its worth putting myself through that pain. [Especially when I lose!]

Comment

Hi there. My curve is 48 degrees too, and I'm also am having a hard time deciding if I should have surgery. I'm not much of a sports person, but I really don't want to lose any flexibility. Plus the whole idea of back surgery is just scary

Anywho, of course you'd be able to play sports again, after you're completely healed up.

Comment

have any of you heard of or looked into schroth therapy (form of physical therapy for scoliosis)? if not, it's a good thing to research and try before deciding on surgery!

Comment

My daughter was very active before bracing and when wearing the brace was over, she went into barrel racing. She loves horses. She went on to surgery soon after. We were told that she would not be able to compete for a year. I sometimes wonder if our doctors understand any of the horse related sports...she has had problems and she cannot ride (despite the doctors release to leisure ride) due to the pain it causes. She was a 44/35 at the time of surgery.

Always research your options and talk to many others (you are in a great spot for that with the web site). Even then, it is such a personal decision on whether to have surgery. Best of luck to all of you with that decision to make.

Comment

Well, like everyone else said, it depends on the sport. I am a dancer (jazz, ballet, and pointe) and though my doctor told me that I would definitely be able to go back to dance (which I have been since last September and I had my surgery last March) it was kind of a difficult decision because of the way the surgery can impact your flexibility. I can do almost anything again, though it took forever to be able to touch my toes again since I went months without being in class or stretching every day. The only things I still can't do are arch my back/do backbends and do backwards rolls. I found in hip-hop it makes my dancing look a bit funny too lol, but I don't really do hip-hop much so that's okay haha. Anyway, enough rambling about dance. All I'm getting at is that the surgery is tough and being restricted from doing a sport for a few months does suck, but eventually you'll be able to get back into it and everything should be fine. Field hockey is pretty brutal, according to my friends, so you might not be able to go back to that for six months to a year, but when all your restrictions are lifted I see no reason why you can't go back. Same for softball, if you still want to play.

Good luck with everything!! Might I add that I think in the end the surgery is totally worth it. Though I won't lie when I say it still causes me some pain. But nevertheless worth it. It is a tough decision, though, so if it helps seek second and maybe even third opinions until you're comfortable with your decision. Hope that helped some! =]
                Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Working...
                X