Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice for an upcoming surgery???

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but have been reading everyone's posts. I must say I feel a little out of place because of my age. I am only 23 so I am not qualified as a child patient but I am still a young adult so I am hoping my recovery will go quickly. It is hard to gauge what I should expect by reading all the posts. The kids go really quickly and the adults vary on recovery times. Does anyone out there have any advice for someone my age?

Also, I am wondering about my flexibility afterwards. I am worried that I will feel "crooked" once my spine is straight since I am so used to being curved . Did anyone else feel that way or can someone explain what they felt like in the weeks following surgery?

Thanks for any advice you have to give,

Allison
    ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
    56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
    Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
    Austin, TX

Hi,
    It really depends how much of your spine you have to have fused & how bad your curves are. Every patient is different also.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

I'm not sure yet what I will have fused. I just went for my planning x-rays last week so I will find out a little closer to the surgery date what they will be doing. I am kind of nervous but I think things will be better than they are now. I am in constant pain and am sick of it. Anything I should be doing to prepare? Exercise? Things to buy?
      ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
      56* Lumbar

Dr. Matthew Geck
      Austin, TX

Comment

To get ready, make sure your legs are strong and flexible. You will use them a lot to make up for your back. As for other things to get ready - do you live at home or by yourself, or are you married? You really need someone around for the first week you are home. Having short hair will help with your postop showers. You will also need a chair in the bathroom as you will probably feel like you are going to pass out after 5 minutes in the shower (for the first couple). You really need someone around while you are in the shower. We used saran wrap to cover our inscisions when we showered. On to better things! Have your favorite comfort foods in the house. If you are responsible for cooking your own meals, cook and freeze your favorite dinners (if you have room, do up to a months worth). If someone offers to clean for you or do your laundry, let them. It will take you probably a month to get your energy back to 90%. My daughter was 14 when she had her surgery and when she went back to school in the fall, she would come home and take naps. I remember when I had mine, I would tire out quickly. Good luck!
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Allison,
          I don't really have any advice since I haven't had the surgery yet myself, but I figured I would check in. I am 20 and will be having surgery on June 1st. My surgeon has told me that my recovery will probably be more similar to a pediatric patient's than to an older adult's because of my age. He has also said that I should definitely be ready to go back to college in the fall. Hopefully he is right! Do you know when you are having surgery?
          -Sarah
          Sarah
          22 year old grad student
          Boston brace from 12-14
          surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
          Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
          Thoracic curve 47*
          Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

date

Yes, my surgery is May 18. I was told the same thing about recovery so hopefully he is right. I am supposed to start nursing school in January so I hope that I am back to normal by then. Are you nervous? I am. I am ready to get it over with...
            ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
            56* Lumbar

Dr. Matthew Geck
            Austin, TX

Comment

Allison,
              I am close to your age (25) and just had the surgery on March 25. I had a posterior fusion (T2-L1) and was released from the hospital April 1. Honestly... it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The waiting part is sooooooooo much worse. I am not even in much pain when I'm taking my meds... just get a bit uncomfy/stiff when trying to sleep. I have a blog about my surgery, also will post pics soon. e-mail me w/ questions jesscv@gmail.com as I don't get on here often.

Comment

Hi Jesscv,

How do I reach your blog? I'm just curious what you are writing!

Thanks!
                ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
                56* Lumbar

Dr. Matthew Geck
                Austin, TX

Comment

Jess,

You are freakin hilarious! You have certainly brightened my spirits about this whole thing. As you can understand, I am definitely nervous. Reading stuff like this makes me feel so much better!

I hope you are feeling better in your post op days.
                  ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
                  56* Lumbar

Dr. Matthew Geck
                  Austin, TX

Comment

you should do this in the upcoming months/weeks

im only 12, but i read in many scoliosis surgery stories in a book that the ones who exercised often had the fastest recovery. you should stay fit and healthy before your surgery

~*Hannah*~
                    Hey guys!
                    My name is Hannah, I'm 14 years old, and I had a spinal fusion on 8/27/09
                    I feel great now!
                    Pre-op = 28T and 45L
                    Post-op = 18T and 22L

Comment

Our doctor provided a video of things to prepare for at home but they have way better advice here on this site. If you live alone make sure you are stocked up on easy food, no prep necessary. We did learn that you get the bathroom in order. Do you need a lifted toilet seat, bars in and around the tub/shower, shower seat? Non slip strips on the bottom of the shower/tub. Seran and medical tape for the showering thing (was thinking that maybe a apron like they put on at the hair salon only backwards might work to keep water off - but do not know if it would work) long hair is a pain. My daughter was in no shape for the first couple of showers to tackle the shower alone. I worked fast and furious to get it done. I also had everything lined out and got her to the bed to lay down right away. We would have done better had we known how to "log roll" and sit up swinging the legs over the edge of the bed before surgery. She is a pro at it now~ hopefully this helps... and P.S. DO NOT OVERDO IT!

Comment

Allison--

I haven't had my surgery yet but I the following link looks really good to me:
                        http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Jesscv --

Thanks for your blog. It's hilarious and very helpful to someone like me who is facing surgery in a couple months.

Sheri
                        At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                        Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                        Excellent correction

Comment

Response to surgery-it's not that painful!

Hi Allison!!
                          I had my spinal fusion on March 17th...mine was from T3 to L3...went from a 73 degree curve to a 20 degree. It's not that bad..I promise! I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to pain and needles. The worst part of all of this was on Day 2 in the hospital, I was trying to be strong and not use much pain meds and they took me in the room to do xrays. It hurt terribly because they had to move me around so much to get the xrays. Just ask the nurse to give you fair warning so you can jack up the pain meds! I only take 3 pills a day and feel well..have done this since I got home from the hospital. As far as being at home, the worst part is that I can't put anything on my back and it's incredibly dried out...it's uncomfortable but tolerable. I did a website that we updated each day in the hospital and I continue to update that you can access..it's http://www.carepages.com/carepages/Becky_331. Just do a simple registry and you will have access. It will be useful so you can see what to expect each day in the hospital. You can email me anytime at outerbanx331@yahoo.com...I will help any way I can. I don't want you to have any fears..that's the worst thing you can do to your body before this type of surgery! Can't wait until you're finished and get to see your results!!
                          Becky
                          Becky-29 New Market, TN
                          Spinal Fusion 3/17/09
                          T3 to L3-73 degree curve to a 20ish

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

Comment

another nursing student

I am also a nursing student facing possible surgery. There are quite a few of us, makes me feel much better :O)
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Allison,

I am 37 years old and just had surgery 4 weeks and 3 weeks ago. They split it into 2 parts. I did feel a little crooked at first and wobbly when I walked. That is to be expected as your muscles learn their new positions. Don't forget when you have been crooked for so long it takes a while for those muscles to go back to their proper places. My spine is straighter than my Doc said it would be. I was very surprised as was my husband...it also was my very first question upon waking up "how straight am I?" Everyone laughed at me!

Given your age, I am sure you will heal much more quickly than someone at my age. I am not sure if you are experiencing pain yet but don't wait until that point. All that will do is wear your body down and make healing a little bit harder...not a medical opinion, just my own :O) I spent 5 years in lots of pain before I did this and I wish I had done it sooner. Good luck on your adventure. Go over all your questions with your doc and use this website as a resourse and I am sure you will do great! Take care of u!
                              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X