clothing post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clothing post surgery

What kind of shirts did your teen girls wear post surgery? Did they wear a bra? If so, what kind of bra would be best to get?

Also with pants, elastic waist?

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,
    Marian

Carolyn just wore big t-shirts. She did not wear a bra until after they took the dressing off of her. So, basically until she was ready to go home, she just had the big t-shirts on & no bra.

She has just worn her regular bra since then, no special one needed or anything. It hasn't bothered her incision site or anything like that.

As for pants, elastic waist has worked best for us. A little bigger than pre-surgery size (but I should add Carolyn liked to wear them TIGHT before surgery, so for example the PJ bottoms I had made here that worked great before surgery were a little tight to get over her new hips...therefore softer material with more give is better...think sweat/jogging pants type).
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks, Becky.

Was your daughter able to raise her arms to put the t-shirts on?

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
        Thanks, Becky.

Was your daughter able to raise her arms to put the t-shirts on?
        Yes. I know I had planned on getting some button-up shirts for her but we just plain ran out of time, so we just dealt with the t-shirts.

Actually, I think the t-shirts ended up probably being easier than button ones. She was out of it a lot at the hospital and I don't think she would have been functioning enough to deal with buttons...in addition I think they would have annoyed her. She was rather umm...crabby as it was!
        Becky

Comment

What kind of shirts did your teen girls wear post surgery? Did they wear a bra? If so, what kind of bra would be best to get?
          Also with pants, elastic waist?

Any advice would be appreciated.
          TIA,
          Marian
          Marian,
          My daughter wore her own t-shirts while still in the hospital. As soon as they took her catheter out, she started wearing t-shirts (no problem with lifting her arms) and pj pants. She didn't bother with a bra until after she was home. At the time she only wore sports bras and didn't have a problem with them. Jamie wore her regular size clothing. Low rise jeans were nice because they didn't rub on the incision.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
            Marian,
            My daughter wore her own t-shirts while still in the hospital. As soon as they took her catheter out, she started wearing t-shirts (no problem with lifting her arms) and pj pants. She didn't bother with a bra until after she was home. At the time she only wore sports bras and didn't have a problem with them. Jamie wore her regular size clothing. Low rise jeans were nice because they didn't rub on the incision.

Mary Lou
            Thanks, Mary Lou. Was your daughter wearing a bra while she had her dressing on?

Comment

My daughter wore pj bottoms and big dark tshirts for awhile. She was able to raise her arms (everything done in the thoracic area on her). She did not wear the bra for over a week, maybe more. Then it was just a regular bra. She was in regular street clothes at three weeks. She likes low rise pants because of the way the pants sit on her hips. She still has the lower curve.

Comment

Thanks, Mary Lou. Was your daughter wearing a bra while she had her dressing on?
                No, she didn't wear a bra at all while the bandage was on. She did wear it though when she had steri-strips without any complaints.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, Ladies.

A little over 50 days to go and it's starting to hit me.

Comment

A little over 50 days to go and it's starting to hit me.
                    50 or so days seem like a lot, but trust me, surgery day will be here before you know it! Start a list of things you want to take to the hospital now, so you'll have one less thing to worry about a few weeks before surgery. One of those things to add to your list is sanitary pads. A lot of teens start their periods while in the hospital regardless of when their period is due.

Mary Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                      50 or so days seem like a lot, but trust me, surgery day will be here before you know it! Start a list of things you want to take to the hospital now, so you'll have one less thing to worry about a few weeks before surgery. One of those things to add to your list is sanitary pads. A lot of teens start their periods while in the hospital regardless of when their period is due.

Mary Lou
                      Thanks Mary Lou.

I've been keeping lists and writing things down as I check the boards. Now it's just a matter of getting cracking and getting the stuff.

You don't have to tell me how time will fly. I know.

Comment

Any suggestions on types of shoes? My daughter has to wear orthotics in her shoes as well.

Thanks!

Comment

We just got slip on gym shoes for Carolyn but she didn't have to wear anything special in them, so I'm not sure they work with orthotics.
                          Becky

Comment

Working...
                          X