Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 years post op with major muscle spasms

Hi,
    I've been perfectly pain free up until 4 months ago. Has anyone else experienced major muscle spasms surrounding your hardware?? My surgeon took an x -ray & said everything is intact with the fusion surgery. I've been to 2 other doctors who claim it's muscle pain. I had trigger point injections into the lower back muscle which really helped, I'm taking motrin & icing that area 2 -3 times a day. I'm not sure if it's even related to the surgery, so any input would be helpful.
    thanks!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Hi Jenn...

I've had spasms on and off since my surgery 15 years ago. I strongly recommend that you find a really good physical therapist who specializes in spine patients. You need to figure out the cause of the problem in order to figure out how to avoid it.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I've never had a surgery but I've had muscle spasms in my back. After several months and two doctors, the second doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer and I had almost immediate relief.
      ddr
      dd
      57 yr. old female
      Pembroke Pines, FL
      No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
      2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

muscle spasms???--post surgery

I wonder if you are experiencing what I call "suit-of-armor" sensations. This tightness can vary. I believe, in my case, it's from chest/trunk muscles getting stiff because so much of my spine is fused those muscles don't get used.

What really helps me is Pilates, with a personal trainer who works within my limitations, walking and just about any type of physical exertion.
        Now, at 6 years post op I have it very rarely ---if at all-- if I was sitting a long time in a car and not doing any type of physical exercise for an extended period of time. I am not sure a muscle relaxant would have helped me since I believe it's muscle laziness and stiffness---in my case. I've never used any type of muscle relaxant.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've been on muscle relaxers and they seem to help. I exercise 4 times a week and hope to go back to the pilates reformer classes soon.....that was the best, but it costs some bucks! Right now the dr. said to take it easy & ice my back on & off throughout the day. And to think I thought I was done with back pain for life. =(
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

Hi Jenn!

I have been wondering how some of my past scoli friends have been! I hit 3 years post op in Feb. and learned a few things to NOT do to keep from pulling my back muscles. I have a feeling you might just be pulling muscles and not put 2+2 as to the cause. The fact that you are working out 4X per week is GREAT you need to get/keep those core muscles strong. You need to figure out what you are doing to cause the spasms. The muscle relaxants are great as they will allow the muscle to relax thus blood can flow through it better in order to heal.

I am on to a new phase of my recovery, muscle building. The first 1 1/2 year was recovery and therapy and after that getting back strength. Now I am working with a personal trainer to build back (and other) muscle. I can't believe the change in just 3 months! I hope you solve the mystery, it took me 3 bouts with pulled back muscle/spasms to figure it out. Mine was lifting WAY too much weight and or turning while doing it.

Best wishes, Suzy

Comment

Thanks Suzy
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Suzy,
                What were the few things NOT to do that u mentioned???
                Jenn
                37 y/o female
                60 degree lumbar
                45 degree thoracic
                T 5 to S 1
                NYC

Comment

Tai Chi is also a slow moving gentle excerise you could try to help with spasms and pain. As with all excercises, check with your doctor first. I concur that you need to find out what the source of the pain is... I would not recommend covering it with any pills.

I got hooked on them for years, when there was simple things I could do to prevent... ie) exercise, drinking half my weight in water a day, ice for neck, heat for lower back...

Cynthia

Comment

Working...
                  X