post surgery brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post surgery brace

hi, everyone...i may have to wear a brace for 3 months or so after my surgery. can anyone tell me what this brace is like in terms of number of hours of day worn; whether you could get the brace on and off on your own; and (most important ) how you dress when you're wearing it...does it fit under or over clothes? if it fits under clothes, do your regular clothes fit over it? thanks!
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Sue....

You should check with your doctor's office, because they're all very different. My brace was hard plastic, lined with a thin layer of foam. I wore it for 5 mos. post-op, whenever I was out of bed. I wore an all cotton camisole and panties under the brace, and my regular clothing over it. I couldn't wear anything tight fitting.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I didn't have to wear a brace after surgery...why does your doctor ask this of u..?
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

hi, connie! my doctor said i MAY need to wear a brace for extra support if it looks like my bones are not in good shape as a result of the osteoporosis and arthritis i have; also, he doesn't know how much bone he'll have to remove to get my pinched nerves unpinched. i'm in the mindset that i'll have to wear a brace; today i purchased some lovely hanes "muscle" undershirts shirts in wal-mart's men's department; buy 5 get one free. such a deal! just keep your fingers crossed for me that if i have to wear a brace the temperatures down here get below 90 degrees!
        Sue

Fused T3 - S1
        Dr. Robert G. Viere

Comment

Hey Sue,

I was originally told that I would have to wear a brace also. But after the MRI he said that I wouldn't need to wear one. Sometimes though I wonder if it would have been better to wear one. Theresa
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

hi, theresa...i still remember how good it felt to wear my brace when i was a little kid; seems like a post-op brace might provide a little peace of mind; as i recall, it's pretty hard to move the wrong way when you're wearing a brace!
            Sue

Fused T3 - S1
            Dr. Robert G. Viere

Comment

Working...
            X