gall stones and post rotational cat scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gall stones and post rotational cat scans

Well I went down to the hospital to pick up my report and copy of my cts. They used oral contrast and iv contrast for these pics. They didn't use iohexol, they used Visipaque. Anyway, there are multiple hypodensitites of the liver ( 6-7 cysts) which are stable. Also cholelithiasis (multiple gallstones) in the gall bladder. And last but not least, something lovely called sigmond diverticulosis which means my poop chute is s shaped. LOL Also a few loose screws!

Whadya gunna do? Its always something!

Unfortunately, it takes so long to go through the hoops while having gall stone attacks. At least the puzzle is taking shape.

I have more dirty pics that show some things. You will see the rotation from the top views (looking up from the feet) after being fused. You will see screws angled to the left in one pic, and to the right in the other. This was after much of the rotation was corrected.

For now, its salads and apples, water and vitamins. No fat. That's why I'm losing weight.

Hopefully I can keep my gall bladder. I will know more soon. I'm gonna miss prime rib.

The views are from the feet looking up towards the head. These pics will show how rotated vertebrae are the issue with scoliosis. Could you imagine how rotated they were before surgery? I do not know what levels these are at. Obviously one is above the apex and one below.
    Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 03-27-2012, 02:01 AM.
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Ed,

I don't know much about gall stones or that other liver thing, but I do have experience with diverticulosis. My husband was told he had diveticulitis about 7 or 8 years ago. Diverticulitis is the 'infected' state of diverticulosis. Once you have these pockets in your colon, they can become infected if food gets trapped in there. It can cause very painful attacks and worst case, it can rupture. The best thing to do for that is eat a very high fiber diet. I'm not sure if that goes along with your gall stone diet though. I guess you're seeing a GI doctor?

In my husband's case, his kept flaring up time and time again, so they had to go in and surgically remove the sigmoid colon which is about 6 or 8 inches, from what I remember.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

He does fine now, although he's supposed to avoid eating popcorn, nuts and seeds because those things can get stuck in any of the pockets that are left in the rest of his colon. I think the sigmoid colon is the place where flare ups usually happen, even if the paitent has the pocked throughout the rest of the colon.

Good luck Ed, and keep us posted. Email me if you like; I can give you more info.

Edited again to add--when you're having a diverticulitis flare up, they put you on a clear liquid diet and then eventually 'soft' foods. No fiber at all. Once the flare up is healed, to avoid a flare up in the future, that's when high fiber is the way to go. I think high fiber can aggravate a flare up.
    Last edited by debbei; 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

gallstones

I was surprised that I developed gallstones after my surgery since I do not have the risk factor of being overweight. Pain pills as well as the special feeding given between my 2 surgical stages caused them to form rapidly--because under those circumstances the gallbladder gets stagnant. One night I developed gallstone pancreatitis-very serious because it can happen again, shortly afterward, causing an ICU stay. I thought the abdominal pain was IBS but it was my gallbladder!!!!

I did have an ultrasound a couple of years after my scoliosis surgery which showed "sand' in the gallbladder. At that time my gastro recommended gallbladder removal but I just couldn't face it.

Having it out was not bad done laparoscopically as a same day procedure. That was the end of those horrible episodes.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

That's interesting Karen. I had a ct done 2 years ago when I passed my kidney stone. They didn't see any gall stones at that time. The Dr that did my report also stated that he looked at the old cts.

I guess its ok to have the gall bladder removed as long as you watch your fat intake.

I'm learning to love salads!!! LOL

A normal weight for a person is determined by height. If you gain 4 inches in scoli surgery, doesn't that allow you to "go to town" and put on an extra 40 lbs? LOL

Your 2 stage was how many days apart?
        Ed

My x-rays

Comment

My 2 stages were 6 days apart and I was receiving hyperalimentation (the white liquid super food IV into my neck). This is to build up the person for the next stage. Unfortunately, the gallbladder "rests" because the person is not eating - therefore the gallbladder is not stimulated, becomes stagnant and stones can form.

I have absolutely no problem with eating fats now.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

So Ed, it looks as if the mystery is being solved doesn't it? I suffered from gall bladder attacks for 6 years until finally last September I had it removed. Yea! Haven't looked back. I did not have gall stones at the time of surgery but the first attack I had it was assumed that I had passed a stone. Some sludge was present also it was considered 'low functioning' although still barely within the acceptable range. However, I am in a high risk group for gall bladder cancer so my doc agreed that after 6 years of flare ups she could go ahead and take it out for me. lol Piece of cake, really. I eat anything I want to now - not that my diet is full of fats and junk but I just don't give much thought to what I eat in regards to my gall bladder being removed.

In the mean time, whenever you feel a flair-up happening, stop any solid foods and go to a clear liquid only diet. Might just take a day or two till you feel better, then you can introduce soft foods, jello, applesauce etc back until you're eating 'normally.' I would stay away from roughage and fiber until you're in the clear. I am an occasional IBS sufferer (used to be more frequent) also and I was unable to tolerate much lettuce.

Having stomach troubles is just no fun so I hope you can get things resolved soon.
            Bon appetit!
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Ed--
              Glad you are finally getting some answers; wish they were easier to deal with. My husband had a diverticulitis problem and a rupture. They had to take about 6 inches of his colon. So, I can relate to one of these issues. I so hope you get some relief now that you at least know what you are dealing with. Maybe you will be healing here soon and starting to feel better by the time I can post again. Take care! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm glad you got some answers on the gall bladder/colon issue.

But I'm floored about the vertebrae rotation! I don't get how you can still be so rotated.

How much de-torquing did they say they did?

With my kid, when I saw the radiographs a few days after surgery, the side shot showed the two rods were almost on top of each. If she was standing perfectly normal to the shot, that would be consistent with removal of almost all her rotation... she was pretty torqued around there. The surgeon is a spine artist.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

scoliosis video

Yes, it is nice to have some answers. As soon as I changed my diet, which is almost the diet I used going into surgery to lose weight, things improved fast. Ordering a salad with oil and vinegar I guess is ok, I still crave the things like maybe a meatball sandwich! LOL

Sharon, I was rotated big time! If we can stop the rotation, that would limit scoliotic curves to a degree! Controlling the paraspinal muscles that wrap around the spine might be the answer. Like I posted in the past, some neuro control maybe with some sort of stimulator ? I think it was under my Steve Jobs thread, anyway,

Here is a graphic scoliosis video. Its will show how the surgeons correct and de-rotate the spine.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07954157297559

I'm feeling great now, and my back feels fantastic!!! I think my spine is the least of my worries now.

I never thought Id never be saying this. "my spine is the least of my worries'

Wow.
                  Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Hey Ti Ed I am relieved you are feeling better. You have been through the mill it seems.

In re that video, it is "famous" in my mind because one of those guys can clearly be heard saying some kids are back in school a week after surgery.

When I see your name, I now always think of Benny Hill and hope you will post a video. Word association I guess.

Best regards,
                    sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Well Sharon,

I almost forgot about ole Benny! I do have some of his collection, and of course the really good stuff isn't online. I did hunt a little, and found a clip that does relate to medicine.

It has a high speed wheelchair crash.

I've been wondering how they filmed the rope scene at the end with the two policemen. Remember, this was the 70s, Any ideas? His arms are holding each policeman, but his legs are moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBF1LNmM4Q

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Sorry to hear about the gall stones Ed, though you needed answers. My younger daughter gets gall stones and I have seen her in pain with them and wouldn't wish it on anyone. What have you decided about removal of your gall bladder?

Just having got your spine fixed, it doesn't seem fair. I hope you'll be ok for some diving in Queensland in 9-10 months?

Good luck Ed, you deserve some.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Great Benny clip, Ed. Thanks!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks for the videos. Very informative.

Sorry about your digestive issues. I have had my gall bladder removed. They had trouble doing it. It was inflamed and adhered to my liver. The process that should have taken 20 minutes took about 1 1/2 hours. I was asleep but my poor husband was so worried when the surgeons finally came out to tell him I was fine.

That was a few years ago. Now I can eat anything now except that I'm too old to eat as much as I would like and stay at a reasonable weight. Getting older is such a drag !

Sheri
                            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                            Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
                            X