A challenge to Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A challenge to Hollywood

We know you are beautiful. Your glammed up, air brushed photos practically scream at us from the magazine rack at the grocery store checkout stand. And thanks to TMZ we even know what you look like "without" makeup. Yes, it must be hard living in a fishbowl. But, on the other hand, doesn't all that exposure give you the opportunity to do something good, to let your voice be heard, to help make a difference....in the lives of a homeless pet, an abuse victim, a crusade against breast cancer, or.....maybe even to help spread the word about Scoliosis Screening? Maybe your friends on Madison Ave could put together a full page ad for one of the teen magazines? I can see it now: A beautiful, sexy back....a curvy back, with the words: "Dangerous Curves Ahead" at the top, and "Get the facts about scoliosis, and scoliosis screening from..." at the bottom. Ok, it's schlocky, but you can use one of those international road sign symbols for "Curves Ahead". (This is why I don't work in advertising!) And if you think for a minute that if your public knew you had scoliosis, that it would make you less marketable, just ask us. Are we less of a mother or father, a lover, a friend, a wife, sister, or brother because we have scoliosis? Our full and happy lives prove that is not the case. Yes, we think you are beautiful. Not because of those glammed up photos, and your string of accomplishments, but because you are here, reading this forum with us. We are here for each other. And we are inviting you to join us....in helping make a difference.

Go Tinkerbell! BRAVO! BRAVO!
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

Comment

Actress Shailene Woodley Takes Scoliosis in Stride
      American Teenager star talks about her scoliosis diagnosis and treatment -- and how she copes
      By Eve Pearlman
      WebMD the Magazine - FeatureReviewed by Louise Chang, MD
      When treated in a timely and effective manner, scoliosis -- or curvature of the spine -- can be almost invisible. Shailene Woodley, 17, for instance who stars as the pregnant Amy Juergens in ABC Family’s hit The Secret Life of the American Teenager, has spent much of her life in the spotlight. The California native broke into the business at age 5 and later played young Jordan in Crossing Jordan and Kaitlin Cooper in the first season of The O.C. What her fans may not know is that she just wrapped up two years of wearing a chest-to-hips plastic brace -- ever since she was diagnosed with scoliosis the summer she was 15.

“We were getting ready to go swimming and I was in a bikini. ... My best friend was like, ‘Shai, your spine is weird,’” Woodley says. With scoliosis, the spine can look like an “S” or a “C” from behind. Other indicators include uneven shoulders, a prominent shoulder blade, or an uneven waist.

Her mom took her to the doctor for a diagnosis. “I laugh under pressure,” says Woodley, whose spine had a 38-degree curvature (if it had been more than 45 degrees, she would have been a candidate for surgery). “So I was OK. It wasn’t until the fourth week of wearing a brace that I said, ‘Whoa, this is a bummer.’” But in the end, the treatment was successful, and she took the brace off for good in December.

At least someone in Hollywood is talking about Scoliosis. I saw an interview that Shailene did where she actually pulled her shirt up and showed everyone her brace! Now that's the kind of publicity Scoliosis needs.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Actress Shailene Woodley Takes Scoliosis in Stride
        American Teenager star talks about her scoliosis diagnosis and treatment -- and how she copes.....

At least someone in Hollywood is talking about Scoliosis. I saw an interview that Shailene did where she actually pulled her shirt up and showed everyone her brace! Now that's the kind of publicity Scoliosis needs.

Snoopy, that made my day! Thank you for sharing Shailene's story! When I was your daughter's age, I wish we had young girls like Shailene who were willing to talk about their scoliosis in public. Hopefully, sooner than later, scoliosis will be a integral part of the health education process for all girls, (and boys as well), and it will be one of those important issues that we address on a regular basis in schools and in the media.

Comment

That great piece on actress Shailene Woodley came from Snoopy.....and I am very grateful to her for sharing.

(I still haven't got the hang of using the "quote attachment" system yet. Sorry Snoopy!)

Comment

You know DD, I would be honored to stand shoulder to shoulder with my sisters, (and brothers) who have scoliosis, and avail myself to a local health class/forum for a question/answer period. I know we are not health professionals, but we have something a doctor doesn't have: personal experience in living with scoliosis on a day to day basis. I wouldn't have done it as a teenager, though. I was too shy, and because nobody else was talking about it, I didn't want to come forward as being "different". But now, I feel compelled to share with anyone who will listen. When I was younger, I met a woman with scoliosis, as well as post Polio syndrome. A beautiful, vibrant, happy person. She was so patient with me, I just couldn't stop picking her brain. One question after another. It was wonderful to be able to share with someone who, although much older than me at the time, was able to give me the information that had been so lacking in my life. Although gone now, she has always been one of my heros.

Comment

Working...
            X