View Full Version : I need help

03-26-2009, 10:54 PM
hi there, im new here.

I am a college freshmen with 50-55 degree curve scoliosis and my back have been killing me sitting in classroom seats. I don't have insurance anymore since my dad have been laid-off and I need to get my back treated. I'm asking anyone here if you can direct me to some health insurance especially for college students. Much help would me appreciated.

Oh yeah I tried UHCSR but my university is not covered.

03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
This may sound silly, but try sitting on a pillow, or a soft seated chair. Sorry I can't help you with the insurance part.

03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
If you are still 18 - Contact Shriners Hospital - IMMEDIATLY - they treat up to age 18
Children up to age 18 with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care and receive all services in a family-centered environment at no charge—regardless of financial need.

03-29-2009, 11:09 PM
thank you for the reply.

I been diagnosed with scoliosis since I was 16. Ever since then my parents have always blame on my "laziness" for getting scoliosis. I now know that my scoliosis is genetics because my grandpa (94) have scoliosis (same exact as me but his is even worse). The thing about it is that my parents is still protesting surgery and they dismiss the fact I am in pain! So to sum it all up, no one in my family believe that I am in real pain. They back their evidence on the fact that my grandpa never complains about his scoliosis.

Now even against the wishes of my parents, I'm still going to get the surgery and I'm going to pay for it myself. I join this website mainly for the support that I never received from my family.

03-30-2009, 06:46 AM
I am not sure about your specific school, but most colleges have a health insurance program specifically for their students. They may have one other than UHCSR. Regardless, you should check with your student health center. They should be able to tell you if the school offers any insurance programs and if not, they may be able to direct you to another option. I'm sure you aren't the only student who has had this concern.