PDA

View Full Version : Short, sharp dizzy spells

JenniferG
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Since yesterday I have been getting short, sharp dizzy spells when lying down. It seems to happen when I turn my head to the left. It lasts about 5 seconds. It's scary but there is no paint associated with it. Anybody else experienced anything like this?

I'm hoping it will come right and I don't need any kind of intervention. I've had all the doctors, hospitals and treatment that I can handle for the meantime.

Otherwise I'm going well.

debbei
03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Could it be an inner ear problem? I know what you mean about doctors and having enough of them, but if it's still going on tomorrow, won't you call the doctor? Just to be safe. Oh wait, you're in tomorrow already aren't you? :)

Karen Ocker
03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I had that. I visited 3 doctors: my GP, an ENT and a neurologist. I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis(An ear problem-sometimes occurring after a sore throat or cold). Once I found out it was only that, I got relief from ginger root capsules-or ginger ale. In my case it lasted many months. The medication prescribed for the dizziness made me tired and unable to work. My said it was OK to use the ginger.

It's always important to check it out. I was really scared when I had it.

It was not related to scoliosis but can also occur after chiro manipulation of the neck.

Susie*Bee
03-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I experienced that a lot of time last year... I think it began with some changes in my medications, but maybe not. When I was going to PT, it happened there. I had some exercises he had me doing on my side (leg lifts with weights) and I just could not do them for awhile. My GP told me just to avoid anything that brought it on (always turning my head to the left-- but then I didn't turn to the right so I'm not sure if it would have done that also.) Anyway, what happened with me is that the room would start spinning. Is that your problem too? Mine has pretty much gone away, but every once in awhile it happens to a much lesser extent.

BTW, my PT guy thought it might have been from ALWAYS lying on my back, but I don't think he really knew.

asccbodypro
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I had dizziness like that 2 years ago for a solid year along with migraines. I think this was the process of my scoli progress. I have a lot neck issues. For me, working with a chiropractor helped soooo much. I no longer have that constant ringing in my ears :O)

JenniferG
03-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel much less scared now. I will try to avoid turning to the left as far as I can and can try some ginger ale, which we have here.

Susie, that's exactly how I would describe it. Again, this board is fantastic!

doodie
03-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Hi Jennifer - other than the ear problem I'm so happy to hear that things generally are going well for you.

During this time after surgery we are so critically aware of every little nuance in our bodies aren't we?

Hopefully the problem will resolve itself and all will be well soon!

JenniferG
03-28-2009, 07:19 PM
You're absolutely right Julie. We've had such a huge body-reno, we're acutely aware of anything out of the ordinary and worry. I am just so glad I found this board where these things can be discussed and be reassured. I hope I can be of help to others in the future, as Debbei and so many others have been to me.

Right now I'm struggling with the numbers of visitors and phone calls. I've had people visit who I haven't seen in 12 months! It's so uncomfortable sitting on the sofa when I want to lie down and some people stay 2 hours! And everytime I drop off to sleep the phone goes. But I'm taking the phone off the hook when I head off to bed now.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful, but I didn't anticipate this. Maybe something we should discuss with friends and family before surgery?

debbei
03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
You're absolutely right Julie. We've had such a huge body-reno, we're acutely aware of anything out of the ordinary and worry. I am just so glad I found this board where these things can be discussed and be reassured. I hope I can be of help to others in the future, as Debbei and so many others have been to me.

Right now I'm struggling with the numbers of visitors and phone calls. I've had people visit who I haven't seen in 12 months! It's so uncomfortable sitting on the sofa when I want to lie down and some people stay 2 hours! And everytime I drop off to sleep the phone goes. But I'm taking the phone off the hook when I head off to bed now.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful, but I didn't anticipate this. Maybe something we should discuss with friends and family before surgery?

Jennifer,

I found that if you start to drop off to sleep IN FRONT of the visitors, they get the hint and leave. :) Really, people should know that you need rest!

JenniferG
03-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Deb, it's a wonder my talking shorthand didn't give them the hint.;)

loves to skate
03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Sometimes you just need to say, "I'm very tired now and need to go to bed and take a nap". It's too bad some people just can't take a hint.
Sally