Short, sharp dizzy spells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short, sharp dizzy spells

Since yesterday I have been getting short, sharp dizzy spells when lying down. It seems to happen when I turn my head to the left. It lasts about 5 seconds. It's scary but there is no paint associated with it. Anybody else experienced anything like this?

I'm hoping it will come right and I don't need any kind of intervention. I've had all the doctors, hospitals and treatment that I can handle for the meantime.

Otherwise I'm going well.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Could it be an inner ear problem? I know what you mean about doctors and having enough of them, but if it's still going on tomorrow, won't you call the doctor? Just to be safe. Oh wait, you're in tomorrow already aren't you?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

dizziness

I had that. I visited 3 doctors: my GP, an ENT and a neurologist. I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis(An ear problem-sometimes occurring after a sore throat or cold). Once I found out it was only that, I got relief from ginger root capsules-or ginger ale. In my case it lasted many months. The medication prescribed for the dizziness made me tired and unable to work. My said it was OK to use the ginger.

It's always important to check it out. I was really scared when I had it.

It was not related to scoliosis but can also occur after chiro manipulation of the neck.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

yes...

I experienced that a lot of time last year... I think it began with some changes in my medications, but maybe not. When I was going to PT, it happened there. I had some exercises he had me doing on my side (leg lifts with weights) and I just could not do them for awhile. My GP told me just to avoid anything that brought it on (always turning my head to the left-- but then I didn't turn to the right so I'm not sure if it would have done that also.) Anyway, what happened with me is that the room would start spinning. Is that your problem too? Mine has pretty much gone away, but every once in awhile it happens to a much lesser extent.

BTW, my PT guy thought it might have been from ALWAYS lying on my back, but I don't think he really knew.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

dizziness

I had dizziness like that 2 years ago for a solid year along with migraines. I think this was the process of my scoli progress. I have a lot neck issues. For me, working with a chiropractor helped soooo much. I no longer have that constant ringing in my ears :O)
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I feel much less scared now. I will try to avoid turning to the left as far as I can and can try some ginger ale, which we have here.

Susie, that's exactly how I would describe it. Again, this board is fantastic!

Comment

Hi Jennifer - other than the ear problem I'm so happy to hear that things generally are going well for you.

During this time after surgery we are so critically aware of every little nuance in our bodies aren't we?

Hopefully the problem will resolve itself and all will be well soon!
              Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
              Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
              Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
              A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
              Achieved +70% Correction
              Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
              New Spine 03/19/2009
              New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

You're absolutely right Julie. We've had such a huge body-reno, we're acutely aware of anything out of the ordinary and worry. I am just so glad I found this board where these things can be discussed and be reassured. I hope I can be of help to others in the future, as Debbei and so many others have been to me.

Right now I'm struggling with the numbers of visitors and phone calls. I've had people visit who I haven't seen in 12 months! It's so uncomfortable sitting on the sofa when I want to lie down and some people stay 2 hours! And everytime I drop off to sleep the phone goes. But I'm taking the phone off the hook when I head off to bed now.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful, but I didn't anticipate this. Maybe something we should discuss with friends and family before surgery?

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  You're absolutely right Julie. We've had such a huge body-reno, we're acutely aware of anything out of the ordinary and worry. I am just so glad I found this board where these things can be discussed and be reassured. I hope I can be of help to others in the future, as Debbei and so many others have been to me.

Right now I'm struggling with the numbers of visitors and phone calls. I've had people visit who I haven't seen in 12 months! It's so uncomfortable sitting on the sofa when I want to lie down and some people stay 2 hours! And everytime I drop off to sleep the phone goes. But I'm taking the phone off the hook when I head off to bed now.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful, but I didn't anticipate this. Maybe something we should discuss with friends and family before surgery?
                  Jennifer,

I found that if you start to drop off to sleep IN FRONT of the visitors, they get the hint and leave. Really, people should know that you need rest!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Deb, it's a wonder my talking shorthand didn't give them the hint.

Comment

Sometimes you just need to say, "I'm very tired now and need to go to bed and take a nap". It's too bad some people just can't take a hint.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                      X