contemplating surgery, need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contemplating surgery, need opinions

I am 48 years old, and started having debilitating pain about 2 years ago. I went to the MD today, and he is suggesting the surgery. I am frightened. My curves are pretty bad. Thoracic is 56 degress, lumbar 120. Help!!!! Has anyone this bad had surgery??????? I am concerned I won't survive. Going for another opinion in two weeks. Deb
    Deb

Hi Deb,

I'm sure there are some readers here in your age range who can inform and encourage you about your surgery. From what I read here, it is not an easy surgery (if any ever is), but many people get through it. You might like to read Dave Wolpert's book "Scoliosis Surgery" which you can get from this site. It's really helpful.

All the best for your next appointment, and hang in there...

Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi Deb,

I'm also 48, soon to be 49 on the 31st of Aug. I had a thorasic curve of 79 and a lumbar curve of 44. I had anterior/posterior surgery done April 9th and 13th of 2004. I am 4 1/2 months post op and doing fine. It is a very long slow recovery process. If you expand the threads on adult surgeries you'll find a lot of my story on Just Had Surgery. Feel free to ask any questions. Theresa
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi exactly150

My curve is bad, but might not be as bad as yours ... 105 (i don't know about lumbar and thoracic measurement though). I will have surgery in Oct., anterior & posterior. I am very scare, but at the same time, if i want my quality of life to improve, i don't have a choice.

Best wishes.
        Mish

PS I am 34 yr old.

Comment

Working...
        X