PDA

View Full Version : lower left back/butt pain a few hrs into sleep...

LynnMarie74
03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello. During the day, I feel most wonderful ( a few aches/pain here and there but nothing more than an annoyance) but during the night....EEEEGAD! I dont know what changed or what happened in the ole body of mine, but since last Thursday, like clock work at about 2:30-3:00am I am woken up by a HORRIBLE,deep, stabbing pain in my lower back, more so into my butt cheek. There is absolutly NOTHING I can do to ease the pain which, on our favorite scale of 1-10, is a 9 by the way. Well, I mean lying down anyway. If I get up and walk around or stand, the pain is gone. But then I get limited sleep. I got used to the achey back feeling of sleeping on my back but when this hit I tell ya I was shocked becuz I was doing so good. Not only can I not get more than a few hours of sleep, I cant get back to sleep once this happens. I also forgot to mention since I can remember, Ive always had issues falling asleep as well.....so a combo of the not being able to get to sleep & the getting up once I do fall asleep is not pretty. I finally called my Doc's office & got a call from a nurse who said it sounds like Sciatica. I used to get that when I was pregnant w/my 1st 13 yrs ago, but I dont recall it hurting so horribly. I also remember it travling down my butt, into my leg. This radiates upward..almost into my waist/hip area. After I told her this, she said she would have the Doc's PA call. The PA said she cant be sure what it is, but it did sound like a sciatic nerve issues based on how I described it. She asked how I felt thru out the day and when I said "GREAT!!"...she said "Hmmmmm...thats odd" So, we are now trying me on Ambien which Im sure you all know is a sleep aide. I tried it last night, and expected a quick fast push into a sweet sleep...to only be terribly disappointed. IT DIDNT WORK!! It didnt even make me sleepy,let alone keep me asleep like it was supposed to. And to boot, I was not able to take any pain meds while it was in my system...so....working on day 6 w/little or no sleep. Does ANYONE have this issue too? If so, what the heck is it and how can I make it GO AWAY, or at the very least, get some comfort?????

ps- I forgot to add that the PA is having me call & check in on Thursday if Im still having the pain......

always smilin'
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Oh, Lynn. I'm so sorry to hear about that pain. I sure hope it's not sciatica - would that be caused by your surgery? Do you have an appt to see the dr again? Are you overdoing it during the day do you think? I wish I had answers for you - I hope you can find some answers! and soon!

LynnMarie74
03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I hope its not either, its smarts from what I can recall and from what Ive been told. To run into this after doing so good and feeling so great, would be devistating to me. Im trying the Ambien again tonite & will also take 2 Tylonol and cross my fingers. If it doesnt help me sleep & Im still woken up by the pain, Im calling tomorrow, 1st thing. The PA said if its not any better by Thursday Im supposed to call anyway & maybe Dr Tribus would want to see me before my next post op April 20th. :(

Singer
03-25-2009, 06:58 AM
It almost sounds like a deep muscle spasm to me. I'm taking a wild guess here and could of course be way off base, but I wonder if you should ask your surgeon for a muscle relaxant that you could try before bedtime. I would also cut back on your daytime activity...it's still really early in your recovery.

debbei
03-25-2009, 12:19 PM
DIdn't you recently switch from the hospital bed to your regular bed with a topper? I wonder if it has anything to do with that?

LynnMarie74
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Debbe...good call. I thought of that last nite as I was struggling to be comfortable. We put the topper on what, about 2 weeks ago I think? It could be it. I will have Paul take it off tonite and see what happens. That would be so cool it that were the case!!!

debbei
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Debbe...good call. I thought of that last nite as I was struggling to be comfortable. We put the topper on what, about 2 weeks ago I think? It could be it. I will have Paul take it off tonite and see what happens. That would be so cool it that were the case!!!

IF that's what it turns out to be you can just call me Dr. Debbe :)

Jo 71-09
03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
So sorry that you are suffering with this new pain when all was going so well for you. I'm glad you are in touch with your drs office. Hopefully they will know what to do to keep this a vey brief setback. If it were me, I'd cut back on the activity during the day until this gets better. I don't know if you are already doing this, but I'm wondering if a pillow under your knees at night might help..I haven't had surgery yet, but I know that's what helps me get through some tough nights now. Hope you feel better soon.

LynnMarie74
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
So sorry that you are suffering with this new pain when all was going so well for you. I'm glad you are in touch with your drs office. Hopefully they will know what to do to keep this a vey brief setback. If it were me, I'd cut back on the activity during the day until this gets better. I don't know if you are already doing this, but I'm wondering if a pillow under your knees at night might help..I haven't had surgery yet, but I know that's what helps me get through some tough nights now. Hope you feel better soon.

I know, I know...I probably do do to much during the day but I cant help it. I really feel like a million bucks during the day & evening & Im really starting to feel like my old self again. I did tell my husband that I need to back off alittle tho...Ive been noticing myself getting alittle more gutsy recently. Im not twisting, or bending or cliff diving or anything crazy like that! :) Im just carring on about my day, as I usually would, except in different ways and for shorter periods of time. Im going to remove the matress topper and try to slower 'er down alittle bit and see what happens. I will have a call into the Dr's office tomorrow AM. I will let you all know what they say.

asccbodypro
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Lynn,

I hope you can find some answers as to what is going on. Sounds as though Debbie might be right. It could be a combination of the bed change and maybe over doing during the day. Hopefully the answer is as easy that. Please let us know what the PA says when you call tomorrow! Good luck and hope you get some much need sleep...no sleep will just add to all the problems. take care of you!

Susan

debbei
03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Lynn,

Did sleeping without the topper make any difference? I hope you had a better night's sleep.

LynnMarie74
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Topper was removed and I was still up at 3am w/the pain. I wish it would have been that easy-bummer! I did talk to the PA today....Dr. Tribus was in surgery today & will be out of the office tomorrow so she is going to review everything with him on Monday & get back with me then. She says that he will most likely want to see me before my next post op which isnt til April 20th. In the meanwhile, she is switching me from 5 mg Ambien to 10 mg AmbienCr. The cont. release 'should' help me stay asleep.....I guess I will find out tonite!

Jo 71-09
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry that removing the topper didn't work and that you have to wait until Monday to talk to the Dr.. Hopefully upping the meds will get you through the weekend a little more comfortably. Wishing you a better night sleep than the last few.

JenniferG
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Good luck Lynn. Hopefully, it's just one of those glitches that comes and goes during recovery and comes good by itself.

Jen

always smilin'
03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Lynn-
I hope you have sweet dreams tonight with help. The muscle spasm medicine sounds interesting - I know after I had kids (kind of different - but same muscles) muscle relaxants did wonders for me! I took them a week and didn't need them longer.
I pray all is right with your recovery!

Louisse
03-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Hi Lynn
how are you doing?
I hope the muscle relaxers worked for you and you got a good night's sleep.
Louisse

fierceliketiger
03-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Lynn,
I hope things are better for you!! Do you sleep on your side, back or stomach? I know that when I slept on my side I would get a huge butt/hip pain if I didnt put a body pillow between my legs and rest my arm on it. I sleep on my stomach now, and am always stiff when I wake up (if I go to sleep), I always end up turning onto my stomach during the night anyway, so I talked to my surgeon and he said it was okay, but I always turn before I fall asleep so I dont twist when I do it. I get a huge pressure point from sleeping on my back in my butt. I squished up a REALLY flat hospital pillow once and tried sticking that under my butt.
I know you've probably tried all those things, but it was all I could think of. :-(

I hope you figure it out soon!

LynnMarie74
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the sweet words....but to my dismay...no relief has come my way. Im going to take 2 ambien tonite(Doc said try 1 1st if it doesnt work, then try 2) and instead of taking it at 9:30 like I have been doing,Im going to hang out alittle longer before taking it. Im typically not in bed that early, but I know that if you take that drug you should be able to dedicate 8 hrs of sleep. BUT considering it wakes me up in the middle of the night, if I take it later...maybe it wont wake me up til say 5am? lol Im sounding goofy now.....desparate is more like it..no wait, maybe just REALLY tired and crabby?! :) All I know is that I hope to God that this little issue of mine is gone by April 7th(my 35th b-day by the way...ohh dear) as the 8th is my 1st day back to work. Im already going to be out of the loop...the last think I need is to be loopy on top of it!

Im going to take it easy today.. Just going to take Zack to my Aunts house for a bit & stop at the store for some groceries...then Im poppin in some Sex & The City DVD's and going to do nothing! To hell with the HUGH pile of laundry in the basement or the dishes in the sink! Maybe my cleaning fairy will stop by while Im out!!! :)

Happy Friday!

txmarinemom
03-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Lynn,

Try icing the area (I still use my gel one) throughout the day ... it may be inflamed. I hope you find answers soon!

Regards,
Pam

LynnMarie74
03-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Pam...I ice it when it act ups. Would it really be worth it to ice it during the day when its fine? I guess I can try...I would try just about anything at this point....thanks!!

txmarinemom
03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Pam...I ice it when it act ups. Would it really be worth it to ice it during the day when its fine? I guess I can try...I would try just about anything at this point....thanks!!

It's worth a shot. I still ice mine during the day when I'm sitting still and rarely have spasms at night anymore.

Good luck!

Jo 71-09
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Good idea! I always find the Sex & The City DVDs to be a good distraction as well. I don't know about you, but I always sleep better after a good laugh. :) Take care.

always smilin'
03-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Do you still have your hospital bed, Lynn? As I read the other posts - one noted that your problems began when you switched beds. Just curious if that would help you sleep.

Humor is a great thing - has been doing wonders for me lately. I found out that my insurance won't cover my transportation to an after care facility so I conned my brother into coaching his dogs to be sled dogs. My brother-in-law will build me a sled with major shock absorbers - I figure I can get where I want that way for the cost of a few dog treats:)

Sleep well Lynn!