exercise inside or outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exercise inside or outside?

Over the past months I have seen many people inquiring about using tredmills indoors. My surgeon wanted us exercising outside for a reason. One of the reasons I mentioned involved the possibility of Radon in the home. Sharon pointed out that radon can kill you which is true. I know there are other reasons for not exercising inside and was wondering if I could put some people to work. LOL

This is an important topic, thats why I started a new thread.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Good topic.

I haven't done any working out until just recently. I got a gym membership and I am now using their lap pool to walk back and forth in. I can't just walk outside because its gets too painful too quickly. But the pool works really nice.

So for now I have to work out indoors.
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Huh? Okay guys...you just confused me and scared me all at once. What does Radon & using a treadmill in your home have to do w/anything? Educate me boys!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I think he's mostly talking about how fresh air is really good for you. But it depends on the windchill factor and the slippery ice conditions too, if you live in a cold clime... That was the reason I bought a treadmill. There is no way I could walk outside during part of the year here. I like walking outside when I can, but it's not always a possibility. Even in the summertime I may have to opt for the treadmill on occasion if it's storming or the mosquito hatch is really bad.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Now that the weather has finally improved here in the midwest, I'm back to walking outdoors. I do not like the treadmill. But one has to use common sense about walking outdoors especially if you're early in your recovery. I would not even attempt to walk outdoors this past winter with wind chills of -40 and pavement covered in ice and snow.

Comment

Working...
          X