Sciatica Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciatica Pain

From reading many of the posts on sciatica pain, I can see that it seems to be quite common. My question though is how debilitating was it for anyone who has this prior to surgery. I am to the point where I can hardly walk, feels like sometimes a broken bone in my ankle even though I know it's not the case. My surgeon actually made me go to the ER after calling his on call physician and he ordered ahead for me to have an MRI because I could not stand, sit, lay-down without extreme pain two weeks ago. They put me on a steroid pack, anti-inflamatories, and percaset at the hospital and still was in pain. The MRI was killer because I had to lie still for about forty minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to see how much pain is normal with this. Thanks
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Hi...

From experience, I can tell you that it varies a great deal. My worst episode was similar to yours. I had to get around by crawling for about a week. I've also had it where it's just a long lasting dull ache. The week of crawling, by the way, was what drove me to finally see a spine surgeon for the first time.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Delores,

The first time I had sciatica, I had to go to the ER because I couldn't stand, walk or lie flat on a bed. They gave me a shot of Demerol and a prescription for percocet. No x-rays, MRI's, nothing. I was on the couch for a week before I could get up and go to work. After a year and 1/2 of pain, I finally got an MRI which showed a severe lumbar scoliosis with four ruptured discs and spondylithesis at L5-S1. By the time I finally found Dr. Rand and had my surgery, I could barely make it out to my mailbox and had to prepare meals sitting down because I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. For me surgery was a no brainer.

Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sounds like me when I came home from my sons 4 day hockey tournament during Thanksgiving. I couldn't walk without help and even if I did have help it was baby steps. If I was alone I was on my hands and knees and couldn't even get a deep breath. I also knocked my sacrum out of place during that time as well. That's when I finally said forget this hell I am ready for surgery, sign me up!!! I can't wait until the 15th. It is time and I am mentaly and physically ready. Bring it on!!!!!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I guess I just needed a little validation on this pain and why I am scheduling surgery in June, although the doctor's secretary keeps making the date in April (2X) and each time I tell her I need a June date to get things done before the surgery.

What I am afraid of, and I have read in the posts on this site also, is if I take pain medication, I'm afraid for after the surgery that it won't be as effective! So I am trying to limit taking the medication to just when the pain is really unbearable.
          Dolores A
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Sciatica Pain

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
            From reading many of the posts on sciatica pain, I can see that it seems to be quite common. My question though is how debilitating was it for anyone who has this prior to surgery. I am to the point where I can hardly walk, feels like sometimes a broken bone in my ankle even though I know it's not the case. My surgeon actually made me go to the ER after calling his on call physician and he ordered ahead for me to have an MRI because I could not stand, sit, lay-down without extreme pain two weeks ago. They put me on a steroid pack, anti-inflamatories, and percaset at the hospital and still was in pain. The MRI was killer because I had to lie still for about forty minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to see how much pain is normal with this. Thanks
            Hi Dolores,
            My sciatica pain at its worst was a 10/10 on the pain scale. My job requires alot of walking. I would be limping and having to stop and rest to get to my destinations. By the time I got to my car, I would just pull my leg to my chest and cry. It was horrible pain.
            Sciatica can be very very bad . Or it can be mild. It can be constant, or it can be intermittent. It can be in one small point on your leg or the entire length of your leg including your butt and foot. Everyone is different. It is most often caused by a herniated disc. Mine was aggravated also by scoliosis progressing and narrowing the space where the nerve lives. My fusion did eliminate my chronic sciatica. Yay!
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

The worst episode for me was last July. It was very much like the others here have described. I tried acupuncture, physical therapy, and cortisone shots which together helped a little, but not enough, and not for more than a few days at a time. That's when my pain management Dr sent me back to see Dr Rand. I had seen him in 2006 and 2007. Each time we had decided it wasn't time for surgery yet. This time I know it's what I need to do because it has become a quality of life issue. There is just so many normal daily living things I cannot do. My surgery is scheduled for April 28.
              -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
              Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
              Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
              Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

I thank god for this site! Where and who else would I be able to ask and get feedback from but this forum. I especially appreciated Susan's response, "sign me up" (really made me LOL!!!) I'm am trying to let go of some of my fears, and just reading through many of the posts does the trick on some days when I'm feeling sorry for myself.
                Dolores A
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Working...
                X