PDA

View Full Version : Back Brace

crystalalice88
03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
How long did you have to wear the back brace for after your surgery??

Singer
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I wore mine all the time for 3 months after surgery, then wore it driving, walking outside, or walking on the treadmill for another two or three months after that.

JoAnn5
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I didn't have one at all after my surgery.

CHRIS WBS
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I wore one for three months. The first six weeks I had to wear it 24 hours a day. At first, it was cumbersome to sleep with it on, but I got used to it. I also had to wear a shower brace. I had a pretty brace. Being summer, I selected a butterfly pattern for my brace and it looked more like a bustier. In a strange way I was sorry when my doctor told me to stop wearing it. It became my security blanket.

LynnMarie74
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey! No brace here either....I often wonder why some do, some dont...I just trust my surgeon knows the reasoning behind his decision! :)

Geish
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I wore my brace anytime I wasn't lying down for about 3 1/2 months. At that point I started weaning off of the brace and wore it when grocery shopping and traveling but not much else. I was completely off the brace by 5 months.

I think it just depends on your surgeon as to whether you get a brace or not. Mine prefers a brace for long fusions. I had 15 vertebrae fused. I think it was just a precaution, but then again I am not a surgeon, so who knows?

Doodles
03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Strangely enough I won't have a brace either. It's OK with me but wonder how they decide. I think this doctor does have kids in braces however. Janet

Susie*Bee
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
My surgeon doesn't brace everyone-- like Geish said, some do for long fusions (mine was 15 vertebrae also)-- but also for frailty too, I think. Leading into my surgery, the brace idea went from an "if we brace you" to a "when we brace you" thing. There may be many parameters they look at...

I wore my brace for about 5 months, when I was standing, walking, or sitting. In other words I could take it off when I was lying down. And when I showered. It does give you a lot of support and a sense of safety. Weaning off it was a little hard for me, but ok too.

loves to skate
03-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Mine was a soft elastic brace which I wore for about 4 or 5 months. I didn't have to wear it at night. My Doctor told me it was basically to remind me not to bend. Sally

fierceliketiger
03-27-2009, 03:31 AM
I actually was told to start weaning off the brace at my 6 week appointment. I now only wear it for car rides (at almost 4 months) or when I am walking more than a few miles. I never did have to wear mine at night