Back Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Brace

How long did you have to wear the back brace for after your surgery??

I wore mine all the time for 3 months after surgery, then wore it driving, walking outside, or walking on the treadmill for another two or three months after that.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I didn't have one at all after my surgery.

Comment

I wore one for three months. The first six weeks I had to wear it 24 hours a day. At first, it was cumbersome to sleep with it on, but I got used to it. I also had to wear a shower brace. I had a pretty brace. Being summer, I selected a butterfly pattern for my brace and it looked more like a bustier. In a strange way I was sorry when my doctor told me to stop wearing it. It became my security blanket.

Comment

Hey! No brace here either....I often wonder why some do, some dont...I just trust my surgeon knows the reasoning behind his decision!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I wore my brace anytime I wasn't lying down for about 3 1/2 months. At that point I started weaning off of the brace and wore it when grocery shopping and traveling but not much else. I was completely off the brace by 5 months.

I think it just depends on your surgeon as to whether you get a brace or not. Mine prefers a brace for long fusions. I had 15 vertebrae fused. I think it was just a precaution, but then again I am not a surgeon, so who knows?
            Last edited by Geish; 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM.
            Geish
            47 years old, dx at 13
            +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
            Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
            http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Strangely enough I won't have a brace either. It's OK with me but wonder how they decide. I think this doctor does have kids in braces however. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My surgeon doesn't brace everyone-- like Geish said, some do for long fusions (mine was 15 vertebrae also)-- but also for frailty too, I think. Leading into my surgery, the brace idea went from an "if we brace you" to a "when we brace you" thing. There may be many parameters they look at...

I wore my brace for about 5 months, when I was standing, walking, or sitting. In other words I could take it off when I was lying down. And when I showered. It does give you a lot of support and a sense of safety. Weaning off it was a little hard for me, but ok too.
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Mine was a soft elastic brace which I wore for about 4 or 5 months. I didn't have to wear it at night. My Doctor told me it was basically to remind me not to bend. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I actually was told to start weaning off the brace at my 6 week appointment. I now only wear it for car rides (at almost 4 months) or when I am walking more than a few miles. I never did have to wear mine at night
                    25 years old
                    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                    Anterior on 11/11/08
                    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                    nearly perfect correction
                    fused t-10 to pelvis
                    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
                    X