Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrington Rod, thoracic, 30+ years ago

Hi all,
    I just thought I'd start this thread to find others like me if they are out there. I have some wierd knee problems, some foot numbness, and miralgia paresthetica. I'm doing pretty well: I can walk up to probably a mile, more slowly than my peers, don't take any pain meds because my discomfort isn't great.
    Last edited by JulieBW; 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM.
    1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Harrington rod - thoracic almost 40 years ago

Hi Julie-
    I'd be happy to share my story since I also had thoracic harrington rod placement more than 30 years ago (almost 40). (I had a fusion too.) Until recently I only had problems as a result of bone grafting on my right pelvis. (Radiating pain down my r leg and foot numbness beginning when I was a high school athlete - eventually I gave up sports that involved a lot of running.) Then 2 years ago I had 4 - 5 episodes of immobilizing pain in my lower back which was alleviated by large doses of advil and remaining still. After PT this is no longer a problem but investigating it lead to the revelation that my original bone grafting never took and that my curves have worsened to the point where they are both over 60 degrees (the upper curve now bows out from the h. rod). I now have generalized discomfort (but not severe pain) the curve progression appears to have stabilized (no change in the last year). I am the active Mom of 3 children though I approach all physical activity with some caution after what happened 2 years ago. I walk with our dog an hour most days with some pain and stiffness that is helped with advil. Since I have some arthritis in my spine I am very interested in the topic of aging in post-scoliosis surgery patients. I'm glad you are doing so well.

Comment

Thanks for posting, MGH. I was told last year by a local scoliosis surgeon that my rod had "peaked", shifted so it was no longer vertical. I have lost 2" of height, and my bra size has increased from 32" - 36": all reflections of my worsening curve. But apart from the generalized stiffness you describe, I really am doing OK. All the stories here make me very grateful.
      1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Working...
      X