New Kid on The Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kid on The Block

Hi. I have browsed this forum for months before deciding to speak up. You all have been so helpful to me in my process of deciding to have surgery and the post op period. This is my story. I am 49 yr old nurse and was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 21. No big deal. I was a little crooked. After having 2 kids and starting nursing jobs, my back became a problem. Had back spasms from time to time. Still, didn't everyone have back problems? Then in my late 40's I learned what sciatica was, and herniated discs. I had a microdiscectomy to fix that. Still , the sciatica never really went away completely and my lower back pain became worse and worse to the extent it was affecting my work and my ability to do things I had always been able to do before. My ortho doc took x rays all along and it appeared my scoliosis was progressing, 10 degrees in one year. Wow! It took my months and months of research on this forum and reading books to make the decision to go ahead with the surgery. I had a long fusion, anterior/posterior T4 to the sacrum done over an 11 hour period. I survived. I barely remember the hospital period. I was in for 5 days. Went home with my husband who was the best best best home care nurse ever. There were some funny moments that he still reminds me of. I really had a hard time walking upright immediately after surgery and still do. That part has gotten better but it still aggravates me so much. I feel stiff in my back, like there is no lumbar curve to help me stand straight. If I am sitting for awhile, boy I have to spend some time stretching before I can get going walking. That is one thing I could not understand, so many of you started right off walking after surgery. I could hardly do it. I could maybe go half a block and then I had to turn around. I could not even hold my head up. My job now requires alot of walking so I think that is what has gotten me better at it. I HAVE to walk. I am still on a Fentanyl patch for pain, and Aleve twice a day. I know people keep saying it takes a year so I am waiting my year (May) but I wonder if I am progressing much slower than most. I feel more disabled after surgery than before. I walk very slow now, can't carry much, and I am soooo tired all the time. Sorry for the long post. I have lots more to say but I am probably boring everyone!!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Hi and welcome...

I think you have a right to be concerned about not being able to stand up straight. What is your surgeon saying about it?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have been to physical therapy, which did help alot. I did not get to go until 3 months post op but was able to give up my cane during PT and worked on strengthening back and shoulder blade muscles along with legs and butt muscles. So I have to say I can stand up straight for a longer period of time now, but it does take some effort. My surgeon simply says my x-rays look great, and it will take more time. I have always been so impatient , I did not realize it would take soooo long to recover!! I really do feel like I've been run over by a bus. Even at 10 months out. But it does help to look back and realize the progress I have made, its really just baby steps.
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

HI! Welcome to the site!!
        Some people have more difficulty recovering. I, myself, am 1 year post op with what seems like too much pain. I am going to get a second opinoin this coming April. My surgeon is new, I found out post surgery... my assistant surgeon has a horrific bedside manner!!!! lol We are finding someone new. Hoping that it was done right. Keep walking and keep your spirits up!! Lots of helpful people here!! Will be thinking of you!
        Diagnosed in '06'
        Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
        Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
        Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
        Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
        Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
        I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Hi Naptown,

Welcome.

You learned what sciatica was? You mean you learned what sciatica was 'the hard way" Same story here.

I did notice quite a bit of improvement from 9 months onward. Thing will get better.

When I quit my drugs, the pain level did increase for a few days, then dropped considerably. I was just wondering about where your pain is coming from?

Has your Doc addressed your walking and balance issues? Why cant you hold your head up? Are you leaning forward?
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Naptown! Greetings to a fellow Hoosier! It's good to have you posting on the forum. I'll probably just echo some of the others' thoughts. But first, your post was not too long nor was it boring. There is no where else in the world where you will find people who try to understand where you're "coming from" quite so well as with those with similar plights. We each have our unique scoli stories... and if we opt for surgery, that again is unique, but of course we can understand quite a lot of others' experiences because ours are similar, even though different. That didn't come out quite right.

If you read the "turtle and the hare" post a little while ago, that was started by me. Yes, some of us take longer with our recoveries. My strength was totally zapped by the surgery and it's taken a long time to build it back. I'm not quite "there" yet, but actually am doing great, relatively speaking, at this point. Yay!

I wonder about the "no lumbar curve" you mention. Did you ask your doctor about that? I was fused T2-L4, so not as low as you, but I have been able to sit mostly fairly comfortably (in a comfortable type chair or our couch) ever since my surgery. I know I've read of others who can't sit for very long, so you are not alone with that. As far as your walking goes, what exactly happens? Are you weakened? Do you have back/hip problems as you walk? Do you starting bending forward?

In my own case I was able to walk ok, but I know I was a little bent over, my stride was short, etc. I walked like a little old lady on ice. I had some basic PT shortly after my release from the hospital. Then at 6 months post-op I had 8 weeks of PT and that is when we worked on my stride and how I carried myself, along with strengthening my legs and arms. That helped sooooo much. At 11 months post-op I had another 8 weeks of PT for core strengthening-- and overall strengthening. It was that series of PT that I felt really set me back in the realm of looking and feeling much more normal. I am leaps and bounds better after another year's passing than I was then. So for some of us, passage of time along with working on getting stronger is what it takes. I've been flabbergasted with the speed that some have recovered, but that's just not the way it has been for me. Again, slow and steady wins (as in "finishes") the race. It may be that way for you too. Keep us posted. Susie

(Now that's a long post-- and probably boring too.)
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi, Naptown. I had trouble walking after my A/P surgery, but that was due to leg weakness. However, I walked and walked -- first with a walker, then with a cane. I also had 3 separate rounds of PT -- two on land and one in the water, along with intensive gait training to correct a gimpy stride. Now my walking is just about perfect but it took a lot of work.

I know that my lower back felt a bit "tippy" until it fused. I didn't feel totally secure standing straight at first, but then again I spent so much time leaning on a walker or cane it was a good while before I really stood up straight. Again, for me, it took a lot of training in PT. I also had pain for about a year and a half, though it gradually decreased in intensity. I still take a fair amount of Advil and/or Tylenol.

It will be interesting to see if you continue to improve with increased walking. If you don't, I would definitely keep after your surgeon.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Greetings Naptown & welcome to the forum! I think..or so it seems...that most of us go thru up's and down's as far as pain levels go. And like Susiebee said...some heal & feel better much faster that other & to compare yourself to everyone else, sometimes can cause some heartache. (I did the same this, by the way)

My surgery was this past Jan...the 14th & I feel pretty good Id have to day. I had posterior only, so Im sure thats part of it & I have a decent sized fusion....L4 to L5....one shy & a sacrum away from yours! I know that being fused that low can also make some differences in the way you feel, etc. Ive been "walking" since I left the hospital....and let me tell you I use the word "walking" very loosely as it was w/a walker, moving vverryyyyy sllloowww. I graduated a few weeks later to just walking my halls at home w.o the walkers and boy did that feel weird...I was still very slow and unsure. AT about 5 weeks I started walking at a very slow speed on my treadmill & my side hurt when I walked for more than 10 mins. I did this everyday, pain aside and am now up to 60+ mins a day, not including the walking in my home to do basic housework & also taking care of my 4 yr old. My surgical pain is gone now, and the pain I had pre surgery is also gone, except now...Im having horrible pains in my lower left side...the side that never bothered me..and its only at night...about 4 hrs into my sleep. I need to call my doc about this as its really taking its toll on my sanity & Ive also been quite moody as of late. Either way, Im sure its normal to have a slue of different aches & pains w/in the 1st year, so I guess honestly, Im not too worried. I have a post op check on APril 20th so we'll see then.

Well, I hope you continue to post...this site is a great place for support & a nice place to vent or ask other people's opnion on things....take care & have a great MOnday!
                Lynn -30.... something
                DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                UW Madison, WI Hospital
                **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi Kristy,

I agree with Linda Racine about being concerned about not being able to stand up straight. I’m nine months post-op from a T4 to pelvis posterior fusion and I’ve never had difficulty standing up straight or holding my head up. In fact, surgery has improved my ability to stand up straight. And if you’re still feeling disabled at 10 months, I would definitely address these concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Comment

a little advise

I am just throwing this out there as a personal trainer/bodybuilder....and because someone mentioned the tortoise and the hare......

SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE!!!! I use to tell my clients this all the time. It always kept them on track and not expecting to much to soon and also applies to bodybuilding and competition preparation! Listen to your body and take care of it and it will respond when it is ready!

I often have to remind myself of this.....and as most of you know there is no more bodybuilding for me right now! My long term goal though is this: if people can get out there and ski and ride horses than by god someday I will compete again. It will be a little different and maybe harder but why not try! It will give me something to work towards....maybe 2 years from now. Then again, been there done that so who knows lol! Glad my husband doesn't read this board, he would flip. Not sure he could take the competing again....it can drive a husband nuts. As is scoliosis doesn't lol! Take care everyone
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=, and the pain I had pre surgery is also gone, except now...Im having horrible pains in my lower left side...the side that never bothered me..and its only at night...about 4 hrs into my sleep. I need to call my doc about this as its really taking its toll on my sanity & Ive also been quite moody as of late.

Lynn, I hope you get this problem resolved soon! Hang in there, I know it must be frustrating. As far as your moods, who wouldn't be cranky when you aren't sleeping well. Let us know what he says about it!
                      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Indiana surgeons

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                        I have been to physical therapy, which did help alot. I did not get to go until 3 months post op but was able to give up my cane during PT and worked on strengthening back and shoulder blade muscles along with legs and butt muscles. So I have to say I can stand up straight for a longer period of time now, but it does take some effort. My surgeon simply says my x-rays look great, and it will take more time. I have always been so impatient , I did not realize it would take soooo long to recover!! I really do feel like I've been run over by a bus. Even at 10 months out. But it does help to look back and realize the progress I have made, its really just baby steps.
                        Hi Naptown78,

I'm new to the website (will eventually post a little background). I saw that you live in Indiana. May I ask where you got your surgery? I'm looking for a doctor in Ohio or states nearby. Any suggestions anyone?

Carmen
                        [SIZE="1"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

-1976 Diagnosed at 10; ignored.
                        -1979 "Rediscovered" at 13 during school screenings, Boston brace too late, surgery advised. Curves approx T34/L20. Did not have surgery
                        -1997 T36/L34, shots & pills for pain
                        -2007 T41/L34, Wait and see
                        -2008 Told by non-SRS Ortho my curve increased 15* in one year and needed surgery!
                        -2009 T43/L36 Got two second opinions from SRS Orthos who said doc #1 measured wrong! Curve NOT progressing.

Comment

Welcome to Kristy and Carmen! Hope you get some good answers here as I have as I prepare for next Monday's surgery. Oooh--that's scary to even write. Glad you joined us. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

[QUOTE=asccbodypro;73403][QUOTE=, and the pain I had pre surgery is also gone, except now...Im having horrible pains in my lower left side...the side that never bothered me..and its only at night...about 4 hrs into my sleep. I need to call my doc about this as its really taking its toll on my sanity & Ive also been quite moody as of late.

Lynn, I hope you get this problem resolved soon! Hang in there, I know it must be frustrating. As far as your moods, who wouldn't be cranky when you aren't sleeping well. Let us know what he says about it![/QUOTE]

My docs PA called me back and said it may be Siatica or just my body still shifting, etc. I explaned during the day Im feeling fabulous, its just at night. She is having me take Ambien for a few days, to see if Im able to sleep thru it & also ice my back 20 mins before bedtime and also when I wake up if it still hurts. If its still hurting this badly by Thursday I have to call back & Dr. Tribus may want to take a look....ughh...just when I thought all wass going so well. I guess maybe I jinxed myself!! ~
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital
                            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

New Kid on the Block

I'm a new Hoosier to this site as well. Diagnosed with scoliosis as a Freshman in HS. Was in a body cast then wore a Milwaukee brace throughout HS. Did not have surgery. My back held pretty well until about 15 years ago. I had more pain and the rotation was getting worse. I also had spondylolisthesis which had turned into a very high grade and I was having numbness in my legs and butt. My doctor told me the spondy needed to be fixed (since it was such a high grade) before the scoliosis so the base of my spine could be stabilized. I had a fusion in January from my S1 - L4. (6 hours of surgery to untangle the nerves and do the fusion) In a brace around my midsection for 3 months. Only 3 weeks to go. Feel great. No more numbness. Ready to escape the brace! Want to get the scoliosis surgery over with but he ususally waits 6 months to a year from the spondy fusion before doing the next one. Has anyone else had both surgeries?
                              Age 56
                              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                              Thoracic 68
                              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                              Dr Bridwell St Louis
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
                              X