PDA

View Full Version : Raised Toilet Seats??

Doodles
03-22-2009, 02:42 PM
OK time is getting close--a week from tomorrow! Do most of you feel the raised toilet seats for home are a must? With or without handles?

I may want one that is fairly easy to put in a car too. I will probably spend several days after the hospital at Barnes Lodge in St. Louis which is for family/patients, etc. The toilets are not raised; we called to check. So what kind works the best. Maybe we will just buy from occupational therapist there. I guess we can do that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Janet

LindaRacine
03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi Janet...

I felt this was a necessity. I just had a plain one, without handles. You may want to wait and see what happens in the hospital. The Occupational Therapist that I worked with in the hospital, gave me one to take home. If that doesn't happen in your case, you can get one from almost any drugstore.

Good luck with your surgery.

Regards,
Linda

Singer
03-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Ooooh yeah, these were a must. I used mine for months.

Susie*Bee
03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I loved mine too... hated to put it away, but knew when it was time to. ;) Mine had handles and that helped sooooo much to be able to push myself up with. Mine was what they gave me in my hospital room to use, so insurance paid for it.

debbei
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
They gave me one at the hospital to bring home. It has handles and I absolutely needed it when I first came home. I still have it on there at 5 months, but I should probably put it away soon. Without it, in the beginning, I would have needed assistance in the bathroom. With the toilet seat and the 'Bottom Buddy' I was fine in the bathroom by myself from day one!!

titaniumtough
03-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi Janet!
I asked for one in the Hospital and they gave me one that wasn't any higher than the toilet provided! lol My mom stopped by Walmart on the way home and got one without handles. I think it would have been close to impossible to use the toiltet at home without it! It made me more confortable. I used it for about two weeks before I retired it to the closet, (just in case)lol. (HOPE I WON"T HAVE TO USE IT UNTIL I AM OLD!!! Lol) :) Hope this helps, good luck!!!! :)

Doodles
03-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. Think I'd better get this! I'm also trying to find a not too expensive treadmill. I know--very slowly on those the nurse told me. I will walk outside too but would like this so someone doesn't always have to walk me! I think I'll get a nice dog collar too. Janet

LindaRacine
03-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Janet...

If you're on a budget, you can find a lot of used treadmills on CraigsList.

--Linda

titaniumed
03-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Janet

I didn't need one. I have noticed with a T2-Pelvic fusion that I actually have more problems with wiping if the toilet seat is too high. In other words, when sitting, the thighs need to be horizontal. You will see what I mean soon when you perfect your reaching position.

I would not spend any money on this. Make the decisions at the hospital, if you need it, they will bill the insurance co.

My surgeon was adamant about walking outside. I guess he doesn't like treadmills. It has to do with the clean air. The air can get stagnant in your house and should be aired out. This is especially true with Radon.

I don't have a dog, but I've always had the dog collar. My PT girl would come over and I would calm down once leashed.

You are almost there and you will make it.

Woof
Ed

JenniferG
03-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi Janet. You're almost there! I do hope you are coping well, it's almost over. Sending cyber-hugs and thinking of you!

I did not have a toilet raiser and wasn't offered one. I managed the wiping ok with my left arm but not my right, for some strange reason.:confused:

They had a shower chair in the hospital but I only used it the first day on wards - Day 2. I actually find it uncomfortable to sit, so I stand more than I sit.

All the best Janet!

sccrm08
03-23-2009, 12:47 AM
I needed both the raised toilet seat and the shower chair. I was very weak from the surgery and needed all the help I could get. I even had to have my husband and daughters walk me to the bathroom everytime as I would get very dizzy and feel faint for many weeks after the surgery.

Susie*Bee
03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
It's funny how very different we can be. I used both the raised toilet seat with arms and the shower chair with handheld wand, for months... and reluctantly put them away when I knew I really didn't need them anymore. They were soooo convenient and helpful-- and absolutely necessary for me for the first months: I did not have the strength for either the getting up and down on the toilet or standing in the shower.

PNUTTRO
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Janet.

I had a raised toilet seat in the hospital. I asked if I was going to get one to take home, and was told no. So I asked that they remove the one I had so I could be sure I was ok before I left the hospital. It was difficult getting up and down for a while, but I managed. Its all about positioning one foot under the bowl and one foot in front to get good leverage with your legs and not your back. It also helps to have a wall and a cane.

p

LynnMarie74
03-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Janet. You're almost there! I do hope you are coping well, it's almost over. Sending cyber-hugs and thinking of you!

I did not have a toilet raiser and wasn't offered one. I managed the wiping ok with my left arm but not my right, for some strange reason.:confused:

They had a shower chair in the hospital but I only used it the first day on wards - Day 2. I actually find it uncomfortable to sit, so I stand more than I sit.

All the best Janet!

Jennifer! Welcome home!! Hope you're doing well!! :)

And yes, as you can see...most of here have enjoyed the company of a raised seat. I finally stopped using mine on a reg basis about 2 weeks ago!

Doodles
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks again everyone! Ed you made me laugh with the calming dog collar!
You're so right on everyone being different in recovering, Susie Bee.
I think making this decision at the hospital is good and I'll hold off on ordering anything until then. Doing pretty well right now;anxious to join all you "other siders" soon! Janet

CHRIS WBS
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Janet,

Since you are having a long fusion to the pelvis, a raised toilet seat with handles is a must. I donít think I could have gotten along without mine. I purchased one from a medical supply store before my surgery but never used it since the hospital supplied me with one which was covered by insurance. It did not have handles though. But my toilet is next to my tub and I would grab on to my tub bar to raise myself. I purchased this from QVC to put on my tub and it has been invaluable. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.V25244.desc.DuroMed-MultiGrip-Universal-Tub-Bar I still have it on as a safety precaution when getting out of the tub. I never did have difficulty with hygiene so did not require any toileting aids.

fierceliketiger
03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry if I am being slow...but what is the dog collar for?

Doodles
03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Now I'm chuckling again. Go back and read Ed's response to mine!

debbei
03-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Now I'm chuckling again. Go back and read Ed's response to mine!

Ed's sense of humor is always priceless and keeps us laughing around here.

titaniumed
03-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Sorry if I am being slow...but what is the dog collar for?

For walking the dog.

I dont know, what else would you use it for? Some use it for training.
Ed

Pooka1
03-24-2009, 06:36 AM
My surgeon was adamant about walking outside. I guess he doesn't like treadmills. It has to do with the clean air. The air can get stagnant in your house and should be aired out. This is especially true with Radon.

Well, stale air won't kill you; Radon certainly might. :)

I don't have a dog, but I've always had the dog collar. My PT girl would come over and I would calm down once leashed.

:D

Maybe there is an apt Benny Hill clip to illustrate this concept? :cool:

Hope you are feeling better, Ti Ed.

titaniumed
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Sharon

Radon is prevalent in granitic areas like the Sierras out here. Its naturally occurring Uranium that seeps up through buildings. I don't think it can kill you.

No Vids,I mean we could hit the pinnacle of comedy by expanding on the word "training" but I have not been doing well. Vomiting often, after eating and losing weight.Yesterday was a tough day. Clear liquid diet,water,yogurt etc. I have my appt on Thurs.

Thank you for your concern
Ed

fierceliketiger
03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
oh, lol, I thought there was an actual real application of it...I am not totally there today...or yesterday.

Pooka1
03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Sharon

Radon is prevalent in granitic areas like the Sierras out here. Its naturally occurring Uranium that seeps up through buildings. I don't think it can kill you.

Source rocks For Rn are not limited to granitic terrain AFAIK.

Also, Rn can and does kill folks...

radon kills (http://www.epa.gov/radon/healthrisks.html)

"Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, according to EPA estimates. Overall, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer."

titaniumed
03-24-2009, 04:36 PM
He He He. Flt, Its ok, Sometimes these thoughts of "an actual real application" happen when you get older.

Everyone is thinking "no way,not me?"

Just Ed
Ed

Qikdraw
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Raised toilet seat? No, you're always supposed to put it down after. My wife got so mad after she took a dunk one night...

As far as toilets go... I redid our master bath a couple years ago and added an AMA toilet. Its a few inches higher than regular toilets and its much much better. Far easier to get up and down with.

Doodles
03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Ed--
I hope your appt. on Thursday gives you some answers that can easily "fix" your problems. These symptoms sound like a real bummer to say the least. We need you strong and healthy! Janet