just checking in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just checking in!

Haven't posted much lately. I have been so busy with the boys and family activities, which is good to keep the mind from worrying about surgery. Which, surprisingly enough just isn't happening. Now that a lot of the baby weight has come off I am looking more and more crooked.....not cool! Can't say I am looking forward to surgery but I will be so happy to get it over with and have already set my long term goals and have them written down. Once they are on paper there is no turning away from them. I am very goal oriented, that's just the way I do things I am ready to tackle things head on! I am sure the first few week will stink and I will wonder what the hell I got myself into but it will pass as everyone has said. Also, looks as though the Coast Guard is going to station my husband on a ship but is allowing him to be home for 2 months before going to a land job for the next 4 months. We will have my mother in law with us to help out. They will re-evaluate my condition at the 6 month mark to determine if he is able to be underway. With the baby we obviously do not want to jepordize the healing process. If I am not ready, then he will not go. We are blessed that they are willing to work with us. Good luck to those who are getting ready for their surgeries during the remander of this month. I am sending along good luck to you all. Still haven't heard anything about how Rachel is doing. Hopefully some news will come along soon!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hi Susan,

I am so glad that things are working out for you with the Coast Guard and all. That will certainly take some of the pressure off. It is good when a plan comes together. I'm sure that you will do fine with the surgery. It will be very difficult at first but as your body improves, your life with also improve. You have a lot of people on this forum rooting for you and praying for you.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Things aren't quite set in stone with the Coast Guard but we have a family advocate person working with my surgical case so she will determine how I am at 6 months and see if I am well enough for Jarrod to get underway and be gone for 2 months at a time. If I am not doing well enough than he won't go. We should be hearing from the detailer shortly about what he has planned for Jarrod. They may just decide to put him to a land job so they won't have to worry about me being not ready.

I am worried that I won't be able to handle everything on my own even 6 months out. My oldest plays hockey and football. My middle son plays travel hockey and that's the big one. I am afraid I won't be able to handle 4 hour car rides along with being in the rink and hotels. Throw in a baby and hold on to your hat folks! There are other hockey families willing to take him so I wouldn't have to travel. That would solve that problem. However, I really don't want to have to do that. The games are just to far away if something should ever happen. I am sure though it will all work out in the end. What is meant to be will be! Thank you for your well wishes, they are always appreciated!! April 15 can't come fast enough as far as I am concerned. I am having some serious muscle imbalance issues! Can't wait to not have that some day! Yaaaaaa!
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X