pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain

i finally got myself out walking on the street but boy I am so disappointed. I pretty much have the same pain that I had before surgery in addition to the surgery site pain. Someone please tell me that this is normal and will fade in time.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
    i finally got myself out walking on the street but boy I am so disappointed. I pretty much have the same pain that I had before surgery in addition to the surgery site pain. Someone please tell me that this is normal and will fade in time.
    avis
    Where exactly is the pain Avis? I know that early on, after walking even short distances outside, I was exhausted, my back was tired, and I'd take a 2 hour nap.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Whoa, Avis!!!

It's way too early!!!!
      What are you thinking?
      After having your body realigned you expect not to have pain

Make sure you take adequate pain meds. Your body will not heal and your immune function will be affected if there is too much pain. This is not my opinion but what I have learned in my profession regarding pain management.
      Every nerve in your trunk and spine has been shifted. Expect assorted;pains, jabs, shocks, unscratchable itches and even feeling crooked like before.

I felt all those things, off and on for many months. Pushing too hard is counter productive. One thing I felt for a long time was the need to lie down; I thought that feeling would never end--but it did--and I was older.
      Last edited by Karen Ocker; 03-17-2009, 06:18 PM.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
        ...One thing i felt for a long time was the need to lie down; I thought that feeling would never end--but it did--and I was older.
        Amen to that Karen. I'm 5 months out and I still feel the need to lay down (not always nap) every day to rest my back.

Comment

I am 22 months post op and am just now to the point where I can make it through a "good" day if I have to without laying down and not feel too bad. Just 5 to 10 minutes flat on my back can make a huge difference. Not to say I am still not having problems, but the good days do come and I love them.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Avis,
            same here too, at just over 6 months post op I too, still take a lie down (sometimes a couple) to help me make it through the day - my back just says whooooah I need a rest and I find this helps.
            Take it easy and built up gently and most of all, listen to your body...at 4 weeks I was resting a lot of the time in bed, interspersed with walking and sitting but not for particularly long periods. I hope this helps.
            All the best
            Louisse
            Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

I expect to have pain and I expect to be tired and want to lay down. That wasn't it. It was that the pain and weakness I was experiencing was the same pain that I experienced pre-surgery and that is something I never expected to feel. When I had my fusion 4 years ago, the pain that was there pre surgery was totally gone after surgery. Of course there was pain but not the pain that I had before surgery and that's what worries me. I expect much pain and I have so much pain in my back but i think it's totally normal. I have an email in to my doctor to see if he thinks it's normal or not.
              avis
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Let us know what he says. Im sure its quite frustrating to still feel the pre op pain....but, again, like I had to be reminded of 1000 times, you're still early on. You figure, this isnt your 1st surgery, and all surgeries are different. Maybe you will just need a little more time before that pre op pain subsides?! Take care!!

Lynn
                Lynn -30.... something
                DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                UW Madison, WI Hospital
                **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi Avis~ In response to your real question, my presurgery pain was gone right away. Then I got nervous that maybe it was just masked by the strong pain meds and kept waiting for it to return. Thankfully, I have never felt it again so it really is gone (some days I don't take any pain meds now- yeah!) I hesitated to answer as I don't want to add to your frustration and disappointment but this has been my experience.
                  Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                  Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                  Age 54
                  T10 to Sacrum
                  Curve 65 degrees
                  Very straight now!!!

Comment

thanks nancy. that's exactly what i was trying to find out because that has been my experience in the past. today i went walking in the mall, which was flat and didn't require my concentration to see where my feet were going and I did not have the pre surgery weakness or pain. I still think i should not have pre-surgery pain no matter where i walk but at least today there was no pre-surgery pain.
                    avis
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I wonder if some of it could be "phantom' pain... where the nerves are still grumbling about being messed with? Just a thought... Hope it's better soon.

Comment

Hi Avis~

I am so glad you had an experience without that pain. Hopefully it will just get better and better with time. I have taken regular medicine for my back for 10 years. I am now on none except an occasional muscle relaxant. That is very foreign to me and I love it. Now I have to put my hormone meds and a vitamin in one of those container things to make sure I take them. I didn't need any reminders with my back meds!!! JoAnn- you might be onto something there also.
                        Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                        Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                        Age 54
                        T10 to Sacrum
                        Curve 65 degrees
                        Very straight now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
                          thanks nancy. that's exactly what i was trying to find out because that has been my experience in the past. today i went walking in the mall, which was flat and didn't require my concentration to see where my feet were going and I did not have the pre surgery weakness or pain. I still think i should not have pre-surgery pain no matter where i walk but at least today there was no pre-surgery pain.
                          avis
                          It's definitely easier to walk on a completely flat surface, especially right after surgery. Mall walking did get boring for me the first month and a half, but it sure helped build up my stamina.

Comment

Working...
                          X