Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new surgery date is March 25, 09

and I am scared out of my mind...

I am having L4 L5 fused w/ instrumentation...

I am 31 with 3 daughters aged 3-10

I will have lots of help at home though....

I am fighting a sore throat head cold as we speak hoping it passes soon as I would like some nice days of good health before the surgery!
    L4 L5 fusion w/instrumentation
    March 25, 2009

Hi Smollick-- and welcome to the forum. Yes, your surgery is coming up fast... I'm so glad to hear you have plenty of help. I had 3 daughters, 7 years apart too. Mine are grown up now. Hopefully your recovery time will be relatively fast-- I don't know if shorter fusions necessarily mean shorter recovery times though, but I imagine it does.

I will add your info to the thread of January, February, March surgeries. Best wishes, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi there Smollick - its ok to be freaked out....if you weren't, Id say something's wrong with ya! Your in the right place to vent, share concerns, ask questions, etc. We've all been thru it!

Did you mean L4 to T5? Or are you just have a 2 level fusion? If its L4 to T5 that is about what I have. Im L4 to T4 & at 8 weeks post op, Im feel GREAT! Honestly! I can do just about anything....just in a different way. Of course I have weight restrictions & I cant twist very much....but you really do get used to it and find other means to get things done. You will be OK. Ask any questions you need answers to and you will get many responces.....

Take care!!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I am also getting surgery on March 25. T2-L1. Getting so close!

Comment

Hi Smollick. I am glad you posted. It is right around the corner. I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best!
          Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
          Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
          Age 54
          T10 to Sacrum
          Curve 65 degrees
          Very straight now!!!

Comment

Hi Smollick
            just wanted to welcome you to the board - scared out of your mind, yeah..I remember feeling like that too! I think we all do so close to the date.
            Hope you are feeling better today and its great to read that you will have lots of support and and help.
            All the best
            Louisse
            Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Welcome,

It's perfectly normal to be scared out of your wits. I think most of us were. Having lots of help is wonderful; be sure to take full advantage of it while you have it and get lots and lots of rest.

I had a bad cold a few weeks before my surgery and recovered in plenty of time. I think it happens to many of us.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
              X