PDA

View Full Version : It's almost here!!!

nervous
03-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow - how time flies! I can't believe that my surgery date is quickly approaching: March 16!!! :eek:

I wanted to tell everyone thanks for the information that you have provided during the past couple months! The input/perspective that you've provided is invaluable!

Either my husband or I will post to let everyone know how everything is going.

Thanks again and looking forward to having a successful surgery like the many of you....and being on the other side!

Rachel

Doodles
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Rachel--
Best of luck to you! I'll be thinking of you on the 16th with positive thoughts and prayers. I know you'll do great. Will be anxious to follow your surgery and recovery. Janet

Susie*Bee
03-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Rachel-- sending prayers and healing thoughts your way. Yes, you'll be on the other side very soon! That's exciting! Then it's just a matter of time / progress as you heal and get stronger. I'll look forward to that post from you or your husband! Hugs, Susie

doodie
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Rachel
Yes, time DOES pass quickly!! I would say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow but seeing as how I am also in surgery tomorrow I guess that won't be possible. :) I will be thinking of you in the coming days and perhaps we can compare notes after! Isn't that a nice word, 'after?'

LynnMarie74
03-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Wishing you the best of luck, a successful uncomplicated surgery & a speedy recovery! You'll do great Rachel & we are all looking forward to the posting from your husband! Your in my thoughts!

hugs!!

Lynn

debbei
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Good luck Rachel,

I know you'll do just fine. I'm looking forward to reading your update!

titaniumed
03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Rachel and Julie

Best wishes for both of you tomorrow

Ed

JoAnn5
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
You'll both be in my prayers tomorrow, Rachel and Julie!! God be with you both! ((((((((hugs)))))))))))

LynnMarie74
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi Rachel
Yes, time DOES pass quickly!! I would say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow but seeing as how I am also in surgery tomorrow I guess that won't be possible. :) I will be thinking of you in the coming days and perhaps we can compare notes after! Isn't that a nice word, 'after?'

Good luck to you as well!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

sccrm08
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Best wishes to you both tomorrow I will be praying for you.

asccbodypro
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Rachel,

Got your last email! I must have fianlly fallen asleep. Hopefully you are more than halfway done at this point! Can't wait to find out how it all went!!!!

Susan

doodie
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi All
This is Chris, Julie's husband. She wanted me to post an update after her surgery so here goes.

She is in ICU right now, not really finding a comfortable spot. Every few minutes she wants to turn from one side to the other. When she first got here, she had no pain but has now started pushing the "button".

Surgery lasted about 9 hours from 1st incission.

Dr. believes he was able to get at least 70% correction. He said it was pretty rigid in there.

She was fused from T3 - Sacrum.

No ribs had to be cut.

She needed 4 - 5 pints of blood

Dr. was surprised at softness of her bones in (pelvis I believe) and wants to run a bone density scan.

Thats about it. Thank you all. Good Night from Johns Hopkins.

Chris

sccrm08
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Let Julie know I am so glad she is doing so well. Hopefully the bone density test goes well.

Susie*Bee
03-17-2009, 05:17 AM
Thank you so much, Chris, for letting us know how it went. Yes, hopefully the test will be ok. Please let Julie know she's in my thoughts and prayers-- and I know what she's going through right now. Early recovery can be rough, but it passes. You have such an important roll now-- helper and cheerleader, and most of all just being understanding. Sending my best to both of you, along with gentle hugs for Julie. :) Susie

debbei
03-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the update Chris. Make sure you let them know if the pain meds aren't working for her; the can adjust them if needed. I hope she is able to get some rest. This is the roughest time, and it will get much much better over the next few weeks.

LynnMarie74
03-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Chris- thanks for the post! My husband was in your shoes not too long ago....your strength, support and love will help her the most. Its a long ride, but like everyone said, this is the hard part. In a few weeks, she will be feeling good! Good luck to her w/the bone test-fingers crossed! keep us all updated on her progress!

Lynn

doodie
03-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Thank you all. Her biggest problem right now is pain managment and sleep. Her PCA allows her a dose every 6 minutes but if she falls asleep for a little while she wakes up in pain and has to catch up again.

Is that the standard pain management?

theizzard
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Having just had surgery and the pca pump i can tell you this. First off they can increase the amount that she gets every 6 minutes and they can also set it to run without her having to push the button because of instances like falling asleep. They can also change the med if it's not doing enough for her. i had dilaudid which they kept telling me was a heavy dose but in fact was not. i actually got better pain management when put on pills because I got them every 2 hours and they were intent on reducing the pain so they were open to anything I said. My only complaint was that they didn't change the drugs I received instead they would increase the dose. they maxed me out on oxycontin and i wish i had the presence of mind to ask them to change it to mscontin at a low dose. there is always something they can do to help reduce her pain.
good luck to her.
avis

LynnMarie74
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Mine was available for me to push myself every 15 mins....there was no automatic set up unfortunatly. And I completely understand the falling asleep for a short time to be awoke by severe pain becuz your time is up. I asked if someone else could push it for me, they said "no". I tried!

Singer
03-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I had a private nurse at night to wake me up every three hours to give me meds...most of the time I was awake anyway!! Unfortunately, waking up in pain is just part of the deal at first. It gets better!

doodie
03-17-2009, 08:21 PM
The last 3 hours were pretty bad. I have been through 3 surgeries with her and this is the worst I have seen her. She was on 20mcg Fentanyl and they upped it to 30 with a few boosters and it didnt seem to make a difference.

They switched her to hydromorphine (diladid) and we moved her to her side . (she was complaining of tremendous burning in her lower back). She seems to be doing a little better now.

The will not do an automatic dosage and wont switch her to orals until she has passed some wind first.

They are going to move her from ICU to a regular room tonight.

I have passed on all your information and well wishes.

thanks again.

always smilin'
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
THanks for the updates. I will continue to pray that her recovery goes well. Hang in there! You have many well -wishers on your side!