clothing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clothing question

My son is have spinal fusion on April 2. I am wondering about clothes during his hospital stay and after. He is 15. He will be in 2 braces after surgery. One around his torso and another "figure 8" around his shoulders. He doesn't want to wear hospital clothes anymore than absolutely necessary. He has some sleep pants but he usually wears a t-shirt of some kind with them. Should I buy "normal" sets of pajamas with the button down tops? Right now he is wearing about a size men's medium. If I buy the sets of pajamas what size should I buy? I am assuming he needs a set for everyday he is in the hospital, we live 250 miles away and can't go home and do the wash. Will he be able to wear t-shirts after he gets home, or will he need button down shirts?

Thanks for the advise

Sherry

Hi Sherry,
    My son had surgery at age 12 and he wore a hospital gown the whole time he was in the hospital. He was so out of it the whole hospital stay that he didn't care what he looked like. The nurses need to have access to the body too so I don't think that pants would work well, at least until the catheter's out (2-4 days post-op). Some people find it hard to put on and take off t-shirts for a while right after surgery.

Good luck with everything. (You might consider posting in the teen section too because this section deals mostly with adults.)
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Sherry--

I'd echo what Laurie said. We brought a pair of sleep pants and some t-shirts for my 13 yo son when he was fused last year. However, he wore hospital gowns exclusively--these are easily changed as needed and pants would have just gotten in the way those first few days. At the time he really didn't care what he looked like; if we felt he needed more coverage when he was out walking on the floor we put a second gown on him backwards and tied it in front.

He wore sweat pants and a t-shirt when he left the hospital. It helps if t-shirts are large because it's easier to get them on. I was concerned about needing button-front shirts, but the t-shirts worked just fine.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice...Mom's advice is always the best

Comment

Working...
        X