another post op question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another post op question...

Hello friends! I hope everyone is having nice weather like we are...okay, accept for the constant rain for the last 3 days. My pretty puppy who is usually a beautiful cream and golden color has been brown and full of mud! Not fun especially when you have cream color carpet & allow her to sleep on the couch-doohh!!

Back to the question....For those who had uneven hip/waist lines(I guess that would be most of us) that got a "decent" correction: Does anyone still look uneven in the waist even tho on your Xrays you are all straight & in line? My Xrays looked great, head was in the middle of my hips, 10* lumbar curve, the thorasic almost perfect. However, I notice that my left side of my waist still goes inward more than the right. My hips feel even when I poke at them so why would there still be the difference in how my waist apprears? When I put my hand on my waist I can feel that the right side (the muscles I will assume) isnt as soft...like something is there blocking it from going inward like the other side. COuld it be that those muscles are STILL tighened up from the surgery? Or will I have this issue forever? Im 7 1/2 weeks post op. Im hoping it will eventually even out as my hips did.....That was one of the things (other than pain reduction) that I was looking sooo forward to...to be able to wear my clothes & have them look nice! Dont get me wrong, its better than what it was....but still not even. Anyone w/the same issue? Looking forward to hearing your responces!

ps-I was so happy about the great outcome at the post op check, I forgot to ask my Dr!
    Last edited by LynnMarie74; 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM.
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

My son has a relatively straight "plum line" from the top of his spine down to his pelvis. He still has c curves in the 30* range though. His shoulders remain uneven unless he consciously tries to even them out. His general posture tends to lean on one hip more than the other unless he consciously tries to straighten himself out. His posture makes him look even shorter than he is. At his tallest, he is 5'1/4" so every inch really makes a difference. I'm not sure that the surgeons can get everything totally perfect for everyone although plenty of people describe this amazing posture post op.

My son doesn't really have the waist issue that you're describing, just the other ones I mentioned above. You are still so recently out of surgery though. I've been told it can take 2+ years for the body to completely settle into its new posture and for the musculature to realign with the newly corrected spine. I bet your waist/torso muscles have a long way to go until they are more flexible and even.
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Lynn Marie, I hear ya about the rainy weather; lovely Central Il

Also, you had mentioned in the past that your jeans weren't fitting right. Is that still a problem as well?

Comment

Originally posted by nervous View Post
        Lynn Marie, I hear ya about the rainy weather; lovely Central Il

Also, you had mentioned in the past that your jeans weren't fitting right. Is that still a problem as well?
        Yea....I still have issue w/my pants/jeans. That wont change as my hips will always be wider than my waist & that is the type of cut (low rise) they all are. They used to fit perfectly about 1 1/2 inches from my bellybutton but w/the increase in my torso, they actually sit where they were intended...on my hips. Also, Im still a little bit "bloated" from my surgery I was told during my post op apt on Thursday. When he showed me my pre op Xray from the side, you can see I had a flatter belly 5 days before the surgery. (you can make out the outline of the skin) He compared it to the ones they had taken post op and you can see how my stomach is protruding quite a bit yet. He said its due to post op. bloating and also for the fact he was able to give my spine the natual curve I didnt have before(Lordosis) and that also is pushing my stomach muscles outward by about 3/4's of an inch. Interesting, isnt it?
        Last edited by LynnMarie74; 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM.
        Lynn -30.... something
        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nervous View Post
            I sent you a PM.
            Changed it! Thanks Rachel! I knew what I meant when I typed it!
            Lynn -30.... something
            UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Working...
            X