help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

my daughter has a 70+degree curve and is booked in with Mr Tucker at the great oldmond street hospital in London. we are just so scared, the tears never stop! we dont know what to expect. She is 13 and only been diagnosed 2months, i worry how this will effect her adult life. Help!

Welcome to the list. First, take lots of deep breaths. I know the new-ness of the diagnosis is still very evident in your lives right now. However, the very GOOD news is that she's on the list to have this corrected as much as possible. My Braydon (also 13) has severe congenital scoliosis. His thoracic spine is fused to a 65 degree curve. Won't ever get better, and hopefully won't ever get worse. The rest of his spine compensates for the thoracic curve, so he is well-balanced. His shoulders are even, his hips are even, etc.

Ask lots of questions, if that helps you feel better. Your daughter will live with this for the rest of her life (she's already lived with it, without even knowing) and it will be okay. MANY people are in similar shoes. You are not alone. Hopefully you (and your daughter) will find peace before the surgery so she (and you) can concentrate on a full and speedy recovery. Let us know how everything is going.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

hi rajeshh,

i was treated by Mr Tucker for six years from when i was 14 until i was finally discharged when i was 20 nearly 2 years ago (wow that sounds like a long time when put like that!), i'm also from sussex in the uk, it's a small world!

he's a fantastic doctor, please don't be afraid to ask him questions, you're in very good hands. i know my parents were terrified (and i was too) of everything that the scoliosis journey involved, but you can be reassured that you're being treated by one of the best.

this forum is great, but it's mainly used by people in the US. i moderate on a UK based forum, and there are even a few more people there who have been treated by Mr Tucker or whose children are being currently. feel free to join us over at www.scoliosis-support.org

if you have any questions at all, i'd be happy to answer.
      diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
      braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
      fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
      Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
      scoliosis support forum

Comment

It really is a small world! i was wishing for someone to say they had been treated by Mr Tucker. We are still in shock of the whole thing< its always easy when its happining to someone else. The problem i have been having is the people sharing are the ones still looking for some answers.I think the ones who have moved on happy are just getting on with thier lives.THIS IS WHAT I WANT FOR MY DAUGHTER. I was under the impression that she would be discharged in a matter months not years. Is your life back to normal now? I was born in Crawley as was my daughter, but we had never heard of anyone with this condition, and now all did does is consume my entire life. I just someone to say it will all be ok, as i have been there.

Comment

in the uk, most scoliosis patients are followed for 2 years after their surgery. you see the surgeon at approximately the following times for appointments: 6 weeks post op, 12 weeks post op, 3 months post op, 6 months post op, 12 months post op then finally 24 months post op. that's a rough guide and it depends on how smooth a ride you have, but the schedule is generally stuck to. i say i was seen for 6 years because i was diagnosed at 14 and didn't have surgery until i was 18, then had follow ups until i was 20.

you're right: those who experience success in their journey do normally move on, they have no need to stick around. yes, my life is back to normal. i was driving my car again 7 weeks after surgery and riding horses from 2 weeks after that (though that's pretty rare).
          diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
          braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
          fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
          Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
          scoliosis support forum

Comment

Working...
          X