Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back home

Hi everyone,
    First I want to thank everyone for their support and positive well wishes that came my way during my 3 week stint in Boston resulting in correction of my kyphosis through 2 surgeries and a whopper of an incision. It really was an ordeal but fortunately, I saw my surgeon, Dr. Frank Rand once or twice a day after surgery. He would come by and actually talk to me to make sure that I was feeling comfortable and would increase my pain meds if necessary. I have never had a surgeon spend that much time with me post surgery and never had one who was concerned about my level of pain after surgery. So far, Dr. Rand is no. 1 in my book. I had some fantastic nurses and some that could have partnered with Dr. Evil. Between surgeries and after the second surgery I spent time at a genesis rehab and I came home on Sunday, March 1st. All told, I spent 3 weeks in Boston and I will go back in 12 weeks for my first post surgery appointment. I have quite a bit of post surgery pain but none of it seems like the pain that I had before surgery. My thoracic region without doubt, hurt(s) more than anything I have ever felt in my life, especially post surgery and continues to be so two weeks post surgery. Anyway I gotta go and try to sneak in a shower. MY husband is out of town so I am alone for a couple of days and the best time to get in the shower is in the morning when I have the least amount of pain.
    more later.
    peace,
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Thanks for checking in, Avis.

You be careful!

Marian

Comment

Hi Avis,
      I am so glad to hear that you are home. It certainly is an ordeal going through major spine surgery; definitely not for the faint of heart. I'm glad Dr. Rand was able to be there for you with the post-op pain. He is an amazing person. I hope that your recovery goes very well and you can keep the pain at bay. I was going to email you but was glad to see you felt well enough to post. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally,
        I wish we could have met while I was in Boston. Did you skate before surgery, or take it up after surgery. How long did it take for you to feel good enough to walk without walker or cane. I can walk with and without cane but only in the beginning of the day. As the day wears on, my pain increases and my endurance recedes. Did you have pt in the home after surgery?
        avis
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Avis,

I started skating when I hit the ripe old age of 40. That is definitely a distant memory for me. Being off my skates this past month, I was afraid that I was going to have to start back at the beginning (like holding on to the wall) but Wednesday I went skating and it was like I had been skating for 30 years (almost).

I didn't need a walker when I got home but used a cane for maybe two or three months, mainly when we were out and about. In the beginning, I probably used it for a month in the house. After awhile you will use it just to keep people from bumping into you when you are in public places. I didn't have PT at home, just walking. My PT didn't start until I was six months post-op. Dr. Rand is very conservative about starting PT too soon. After a year and three months now, I am still noticing improvement.

Let me know when you will be in Boston for your three months checkup and maybe I can get into the Baptist that day to meet you.

My best, Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

my 12 week appointment is on May 14th at 1:30.
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Avis,
              It is marked on my calendar. Take care, Sally

Comment

Welcome home Avis! It must feel good to be back in your own home. Keep us posted on your progress.

Feel better and gets TONS of rest!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                X