easy question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy question.

First of all, Sorry for my english, and hello from Spain.
    My daugther (14 years old) is going to have surgery in three months. We have to travel 350 miles to the hospital and i would like to know:
    How long it takes (after surgery) to be able to travel this amount of miles for comming back home. (By train, by car, by plane).
    She is going to have surgery in Madrid and we need to rent a house there for a period of time (recovery). I would like to know for how long i have to rent the apartment.
    Thank you very much.

Hi Canasta...

You should ask your daughter's surgeon for his/her opinion about when you can travel home. I live near UCSF, where people from all over the world fly in to have their scoliosis surgeries. I would say that most adults who have surgery, fly home within 2 weeks of being released from the hospital. Kids are probably sooner, but I don't have any anecdotal evidence of this.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Canasta,

My son had major spine and chest expansion surgery in Texas in August 2001. We live about 1500 miles away. We flew to and from Texas from our home, along with riding in a car to and from the airport. Braydon did well. If you can keep the pain and discomfort to a minimum, the traveling shouldn't be much of a problem. Lots of pillows and support for the back, but use things that won't rub against the incisions. The incisional discomfort can be more of a problem than the surgery pain. Does the hospital in Madrid have a Rehabilitation unit? Sometimes spine patients go to a Rehab site for a week or more to adjust back to doing normal activity. I don't think renting an apartment would be necessary, but you will have to talk with the local surgeon and hospital about their post-op facilities. Good luck and let us know how things go.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you for your answers.
        I didn`t check all these thing with the hospital, because i am having the first appointment (at the hospital that is going to do the surgery) in 50 days.
        Now we are going to a doctor close to our hose, here in the sputh of spain.
        Carmell, just for curiosity: when did your daugther travel from the hospital to yours home? (how many days fron surgery).
        Thank you and good by.

Comment

Canasta,

My son (not my daughter, but close) was able to travel home 2-1/2 weeks post-op. We used several travel-sized pillows to put around him on the airplane, and in the car on the way home. He only had a few episodes of discomfort. We were able to re-position him and he was fine after that. Each person is very different. The recovery time may be shorter or longer, no one can guarantee. Your surgeon and hospital staff would be able to tell you more specific information, I'm sure. Good luck and keep us posted. I'll be anxious to hear how your appointment goes in a few weeks.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Those are good news for us. Even if CRISTINA would need some more days for recovery, because we have other child and we are not taking him whit us.
            I am very impresive with this forum. You are all so kind and ready to help.
            It is a big help for us. God bless you all.

Comment

good luck

Just a quick message to say good luck, Canasta! Let us know how everything goes. Laura
              30y/o
              Upper curve around 55
              Lower curve around 35

Comment

All I can say is try to avoid cars. I remember driving home (20 miles) a week after and that was the worse part of the whole surgery. Mostly because their was no extra padding. A pillow would be great for any transportation. One big enough to cover most of her back.

Comment

Hi everybody.
                  I don`t write too much, but i read all your posts every day.
                  I just want to tell you that CRISTINA is going to have surgery 23th November. We already have the apoinments for blood donation, and test her about the amnestesy and some other things. The doctor told us that she is going to be in hospital about two weeks (thats the policy of this hospital for scoliosis surgery: to stay there 4 or 5 more days in order to get home in better shape) and she will be able to travel right after leaving hospital.
                  We are in our personal countdown. Now we realize this goes for real.
                  I have seen that some of you are going to have surgery on November. Good luck every body.
                  See you.
                  PD: her surgery is going to be anterior and posterior surgery.

Comment

Working...
                  X