Gday Folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gday Folks

Well guys, I have finally had my corneal transplant! It was a full thickness penetrating keratoplasty with nice little zig zag stitches all around my cornea. The surgery was done under a local anasthetic and the pain was very tolerable, that is until they jabbed a needle full of antibiotics into my eyeball! Ouch, that hurt really bad. I spend a few days in Sydney Eye Hospital and they were fantastic there, the Doctors and Nurses were so helpful and I am very pleased.

I am also going to see Dr Andrew Cree at Westmead Children's Hospital on Monday to see if he can help me with my spine. My spine and fingers are crossed

Firstly I saw Dr Angus Grey and liked him, but I want a second opinion.

Has anyone here had surgery under Dr Andrew Cree? I heard he is quite good.

Anyway, I better rest my new cornea. I keep thinking about whom it came from and what things they must have see in their lives, and I am eternally grateful for their sacrifice, thankyou stranger.

Hope you are all doing well
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Jimbo-- it's good to hear from you-- and with such great news, too. My mother had a corneal transplant and yes, that's a wonderful chance for renewed sight. You have a very interesting thought about it all... how much that cornea has already seen!

Let us know how it goes with seeing Dr. Cree. I know I've seen that name on here, so hopefully you'll get some feedback from someone who has seen him. Rest up and let your eye heal. Take care!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Jimbo,
      I also am so glad to hear from you and that the corneal transplant went well. A needle in your eyeball, yikes. My husband had several needles in his eyeball when he had the detached retina last summer and he can't stand to have eye drops placed in his eye. Anyway, I hope everyone signs up as an organ donor. Take care and keep us posted in your search for a spine doc.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Congratulations on your transplant Jimbo. It is a truly amazing thing. Was it one eye only?

Good luck finding the right spine doctor for you. I know how stressful it can be; I was a basket case when I was going through that process.

Let us know how your search goes and what you decide.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks guys. And It was only the one eye. I feel really woozzy right now, too much eye use
          45L/40T
          Surgery 25/1/2010
          Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
          X