Yikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes

Katelyn fell backwards tonight! I didn't see it, but it scared her mamaw to death. She apparently caught herself with her arms and therefore didn't hit the floor hard. She has no pain and doesn't feel weird at all. I am thinking everything is fine. Wouldn't she know if she hurt or dislodged something or whatever?? I don't want any unnecessary x-rays since she has so many already. I guess maybe I will call the nurse tomorrow.

Sharon

Try not to worry too much - it doesn't sound like you are, so that's good. My son fell down at a park a few weeks after his surgery and he was fine. If Katelyn's not in pain or feeling something strange, she's probably fine too.

I was totally panicked when Alexander fell but people on this forum and the doctor's office were all telling me how strong a fusion with rods is and how the fall was unlikely to have hurt anything, esp. if he had no pain. They were right and Alexander was fine and had no residual effects from the fall.

Take care,
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

I fell HARD on my butt the day I came home (morning of Day 6) when I squatted to plug in lights. On hardwood floors. With no one around.

Although I wouldn't advise anyone to test it this way, the hardware's secure - even that early.
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Almost everyone falls after surgery and everyone thinks they've pulled out a screw or broken a rod. I fell hard on my side (the incision side, of course!) at six months post-op and turned out to be fine. I was told it takes something really big (like a car accident or a tumble down concrete steps) to damage the fusion.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks everyone, she's still not complaining so I feel pretty certain she didn't hurt anything. I appreciate the response.

Sharon

Comment

Recall that 95% of kids need no physical restrictions whatsoever and they still fuse correctly.

Modern instrumentation is amazing.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
            X