PDA

View Full Version : Yikes

smileyskl
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
:eek: Katelyn fell backwards tonight! I didn't see it, but it scared her mamaw to death. She apparently caught herself with her arms and therefore didn't hit the floor hard. She has no pain and doesn't feel weird at all. I am thinking everything is fine. Wouldn't she know if she hurt or dislodged something or whatever?? I don't want any unnecessary x-rays since she has so many already. I guess maybe I will call the nurse tomorrow.

Sharon

laurieg6
03-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Try not to worry too much - it doesn't sound like you are, so that's good. My son fell down at a park a few weeks after his surgery and he was fine. If Katelyn's not in pain or feeling something strange, she's probably fine too.

I was totally panicked when Alexander fell but people on this forum and the doctor's office were all telling me how strong a fusion with rods is and how the fall was unlikely to have hurt anything, esp. if he had no pain. They were right and Alexander was fine and had no residual effects from the fall.

Take care,

txmarinemom
03-04-2009, 02:12 AM
I fell HARD on my butt the day I came home (morning of Day 6) when I squatted to plug in lights. On hardwood floors. With no one around.

Although I wouldn't advise anyone to test it this way, the hardware's secure - even that early.

Singer
03-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Almost everyone falls after surgery and everyone thinks they've pulled out a screw or broken a rod. I fell hard on my side (the incision side, of course!) at six months post-op and turned out to be fine. I was told it takes something really big (like a car accident or a tumble down concrete steps) to damage the fusion.

smileyskl
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone, she's still not complaining so I feel pretty certain she didn't hurt anything. :) I appreciate the response.

Sharon

Pooka1
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Recall that 95% of kids need no physical restrictions whatsoever and they still fuse correctly.

Modern instrumentation is amazing.