Looking for Doctor to advise about aging spine - 60+ degree curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Doctor to advise about aging spine - 60+ degree curves

I had surgery at age 13 in 1970 at MGH w. Dr. Riseboro. Full fusion, thoracic harrington rod. Curves worsened over the years post surgery - now in the low 60 degree range. Spine bows out from rod on xray and now Doc's believe fusion never took. I have pelvic pain where bone was grafted, lower back pain, and left hip pain. Active but physically careful stay-at-home Mom of 3 - youngest age 9. Now that I am dealing with pain on a daily basis and xrays show some spinal stenosis I'd like to find a Doctor who can advise me about how to stay as functional as possible into old age. I live within an hour of Boston and I am inclined to see Dr. Rand but fear that he is too biased toward surgery - any advice?
    Thanks
    MGH 1970

Hi MGH 1970,
    What makes you think that Dr. Rand is too biased toward surgery? He never once tried to convince me to have surgery. I had to practically beg him to do surgery on me. He offered all sorts of non surgical suggestions that I had already tried to no avail. I had to have three appointments with him before He was sure that I wanted the surgery and him to do it before they would even schedule me. It is elective surgery after all. When the time is right for surgery, believe me, you will know and Dr. Rand won't be the one to tell you.
    Good luck! Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I would consult a Schroth-trained healthcare professional. The Schroth method can reduce or eliminate scoliosis-related pain very quickly, though correcting the underlying abnormal curvatures would take quite a while.

I know of two in Massachusetts who were trained in Germany:

http://www.scoliosis3dc.com/http%3A_...liosis3DC.html

http://www.cooley-dickinson.org/dept...e/07-23-2008-2

Comment

While I think most surgeons are biased toward surgery, a good surgeon will not push surgery on someone who doesn't want it. Most good surgeons push patients to try less invasive treatments prior to surgery.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks so much for your helpful responses-
          MGH 1970

Comment

Working...
          X