Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinecore or Boston Brace?? CONFUSED

Hey, it's katelyn again.
    I just wanted some advice. I have a boston brace, i was wondering what a spincore doesn and how it is different? Does it still work and is it more comfortable? I'm not sure, I really hate this brace because it is plastic and I herd that there is no plastic in a spine core... Is that true? I tried looking up some pictures but I couldn't find any accurate ones or anyones that actually showed me what I wanted to see. So if anyone knows any sites that I can look at some pictures then please help me with that also. I'm soo confused.

Katelyn
    13 8th grade
    Boston Brace
    Started at 30 degree curve
    With brace on 5 degree curve
    Katelyn Caralle
    14 9th grade
    Curve out of brace:decreased to 15
    Curve in brace: 0
    Boston Brace

Cat Eyes, I am sorry you are confused. Most everyone is so welcome to the club.
    The SpineCor is another brace. It does have some plastic components but less than the Boston. Some say it is more comfortable to wear, others say it is not as comfortable. Some say it works better, some say it doesnt work as well.
    You can find images of the SpineCor on YouTube. But be very careful, those are all basically commercials. Take everything with a grain of salt.
    If you went from 30 to 5 degrees in brace, I think (if I understand the issue correctly) you acheived a really good in-brace correction which is a really good sign.
    Good Luck

Comment

i feel your pain

hi katelyn!

i understand how you feel. i wear a boston brace + it drives me NUTS!
      i dont know how a SpineCor brace feels, but please, HANG IN THERE!

Hannah
      AKA: cactigirl96
      Hey guys!
      My name is Hannah, I'm 14 years old, and I had a spinal fusion on 8/27/09
      I feel great now!
      Pre-op = 28T and 45L
      Post-op = 18T and 22L

Comment

maybe

you know its so confussing because most people with the certain brace say it is the most uncomfortable one, mostly because in most cases that is the only one that most people have had. so its hard to get advice unless some one has had both the boston brace and the spincor to you know compare between. mostly i think that this one is uncomfortbale but that is probably becuase this is the only one i have had and the only perspective i have.... AGREE???
        Katelyn Caralle
        14 9th grade
        Boston Brace

Comment

Boston brace vs. SpineCor

My daughter wore the Boston brace for 10 months. She out grew one and was fitted for a new one but it just never did fit quite right and she had a lot of problems getting used to it, (many trips to the Orthotist). She also developed muscle atrophy and was in a lot of pain from that and the brace was painful too.

After looking for another kind of brace that was suggested to us, I then found out about the Spinecor brace and she has been wearing it for 2 years now. She is still increasing a little by degree but not as bad as she would have without a brace or was with the Boston brace.

We have made a lot of alterations to the brace bottom piece to make it more comfortable for her. I quilted and lined both thigh bands with a thin quilted material and soft t-shirt type material over that. I also added all that to the crotch straps and added pieces of it to the plastic pieces by her hips using Velcro. I take that off when washing it. I also use mole skin where I could not get fabric sewn to or Velcro on.

We also keep the straps on the vest in place by putting Velcro pieces in between them.

She is a Risser 4 1/2 with 3-6 more months of growing so she will be wearing it for about that much longer and then be weaned. She is 16 1/2 years old.

she is 42 degrees. Right Thoracolumbar

She also would not wear it during the day for certain reasons like if being outside for many hours a day in the hot Texas heat! Just too hot.

She also has fibromyalgia and a connective tissue disorder which does not help at all. But she copes the best she can and tries to live as normal a teen age life as possible.

Comment

thank you

thank you very much for the advice, do you think that it would vary for different people if it still increaces with the spincor, does your daughter say if it is more comfortable or if it helps with pain. my curve seems not to be as suvere as your daughter and i am only 13, do you know how long your daughter has to wear the brace like until how old and how long a day???? please answer and give suggestions for what i should do and answers to my questions thank you!!!
            Katelyn Caralle
            14 9th grade
            Boston Brace

Comment

Yes, everyone is different when it comes to how they tolerate something. My daughter likes the Spinecor much better than the Boston. She hated the boston brace. It was very constricting and HOT. and caused her to be so weak that she could barely walk and had to use a wheelchair if being out somewhere where it caused her to have to walk far and long.

I can not compare if the spinecor would have been better at slowing or correcting her curve, but she really hated the boston and there are so many good results with the spinecor. It is much more comfortable and easier to wear and she can actually feel a pull and correction. It also depends on who you go to for the brace. I live in Texas and like Dr. Brian Ouellette and Dr. Tina Ingram. We see Dr. Tina now for she is much closer to us. We have also seen Dr. Miquel Gomez and Dr. Brad Ouellette.

The Spincecor is much better as far as comfort, mobility and temperature. It is much easier using the bathroom too and kids can not tell she is wearing the spinecor when she wears certain looser clothes. The boston brace was very noticeable and she had to wear clothes much bigger than her usual siz.

Carly is supposed to wear the brace for 20 hours a day but it's hard to do that. Like in the morning she does not take it off cuz she bathes at night so she just gets dressed and washed up and goes to school. But when it is very hot outside or in school or she has to do something where she knows it will be hot or too hard to have on, then she will take it off.

She is 16 1/2 and will probably wear it for another 3-6 months. She has been wearing it for 2 years now. Usually it's for only 18 months but again, everyone is different and she is still growing.

It is very easy to wear and care for. Carly much more prefers she SpineCor and if you don't like it or if it does not work for you, you can always go back to the Boston.

I did not read all your posts. What is your degree? Has your parents been reading up on the Spinecor?

Comment

well

i am oing research and reading up on the spinecor, i want to ask my doctor about it, i take more charge then my parents. also my degrees started at 30 in my middle and lower back and now in the brace it is 5 degree so as you know that is very good, but i just want to get more comfortbale neciase ot already is getting better, now i am focused on comfort and look,
                Katelyn Caralle
                14 9th grade
                Boston Brace

Comment

Most Orthopedists will not use the SpineCor. We found one in Houston that does. That is very far for us to keep going to. Our insurance paid for most of the brace that way, but then we started going to someone else and did not stay with Dr. Rex Marco.

25 degree in brace correction is amazing. So, you have a C curve also?

Yes, SpineCor is much more comfortable.

You are probably a less Risser sign too which is very good for you, which means more of a correction.

Comment

yes

yes, that is correct the only curve that i have is a 'c' curve, most people have 's' curves if I am correct. im not sure if there are any places in pennsylvania that offer spinecor but if its up to me i will research every place in a 1 to 3 hour radius. also my spine is making great progress now i just want to m=be more comfortable and look better while wearing the vrace also...

Cat Eyes
                    Katelyn
                    13 8th grade
                    Degree= 30
                    In brace= 5
                    Boston Brace
                    Want Spinecor
                    Katelyn Caralle
                    14 9th grade
                    Boston Brace