Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peggy Huddleston?

Hi--
    I know I read about Peggy Huddleston and her books/tapes on here. They are on relaxation before surgery. I actually sent for them and am almost done with the book and have listened to the tape a few times. I'm not so sure how well it's working, but I figured it was worth a try.
    I was just curious if anyone had used it and if it was helpful. Also do they let you have earphones to listen to a tape like this or your own music during surgery? I suppose it depends on the doctor a lot too.
    As I begin my last month today this will probably be my first of many questions!
    Thanks. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Hi Janet,

I also figured it couldn't hurt. I ordered the book, started reading it, but just couldn't even get through half of the book. It just wasn't for me.

I understand how this type of thing could help some people, but with my personality type, it annoyed me more than anything. I guess I mentally prepared myself in other ways.

Good luck! I know you'll be just fine. Doing enjoyable things for yourself in the last weeks is so important.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
      ... I was just curious if anyone had used it and if it was helpful. Also do they let you have earphones to listen to a tape like this or your own music during surgery?
      You're in the homestretch!

I hope your last month passes smoothly, quickly, and you find peace (I think we all do, eventually ... one way or another ;-). Spend this last month getting in the best shape possible (you're going to need strong legs and arms - but be careful NOT to build back muscles). Pamper and indulge yourself as often as possible!

I can't speak of the Huddleston stuff: Like Debbe, I dealt with the jitters in other ways (namely preparing the house and working through a massive to do list so I'd be ready to recover solo). I was on a SERIOUS mission to cover every item on my list, and simply didn't have TIME to worry.

I'm pretty sure they won't let you bring anything in to the OR that could jeopardize the sterile environment. Also, trust me ... you're not going to be lying there for long before they start some sort of sedation (if they don't give you something before then, you can ask for it) - and you certainly won't hear *anything* while you're out.

Now, AFTER surgery, once you're in your room, they'll let you have whatever gadgets you want: The hospital had WiFi, my best friend brought my laptop up, and I was back posting here the day after surgery (LOL - I was bored!).

Best wishes to you, Janet ... it's going to be fine. Hang in there!

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks for the info. You guys have sound advice. Debbi, you made me laugh with the book making you "annoyed more than anything." I was trying to suspend my normal cynicism as I read, but I found myself rolling my eyes rather often.
        My to-do list should keep me pretty busy too. Getting my house clean enough to last a year or so is a biggie, yeah right!
        Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
        X