Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medication?

Good morning!

Is anyone else on here taking medication other than prescribed? I take Tylenol daily and was told by my surgeon and spine doctor that this is "okay".

As always, I look forward to the responses!!

Thanks all!

Originally posted by nervous View Post
    Is anyone else on here taking medication other than prescribed? I take Tylenol daily and was told by my surgeon and spine doctor that this is "okay".
    Tylenol is fine. NO other NSAIDS (i.e., naproxen sodium, ibuprofen) - and no aspirin. Anything besides Tylenol can cause excessive bleeding beforehand, and it's debatable whether it affects fusion afterwards.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Other things I was suprised about being restricted are Multi-Vitamins (because they contain Vitamin E, which can cause bleeding), and Fish Oil supplements, which can also cause bleeding. I stopped taking those at least a few weeks prior to surgrey.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yes, no NSAIDS!

That is what I was told also. So I had to stop my arthritis med prior to surgery and not start up again till sometime (can't quite remember) around the 6-8 month post-op, as it was also an NSAID.

It's ok. You'll get through everything fine. And remember that too much tylenol is bad for your liver. There's a daily total that you're not to exceed-- and that is why if you are taking a pain med post-op that also contains tylenol (like hydrocodone) they tell you not to take any tylenol.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          Other things I was suprised about being restricted are Multi-Vitamins (because they contain Vitamin E, which can cause bleeding), and Fish Oil supplements, which can also cause bleeding. I stopped taking those at least a few weeks prior to surgrey.
          Yep, I forgot about all that stuff, Debbe.

When I met with Anesthesiology, they told me it was okay to take my Adderall XR up until surgery (just not the morning of - like I needed to be focused or pay attention for that - LOL!) and said it was fine to take my Xanax the morning of surgery. I was also on prophylactic Bactrim for 2 weeks prior to surgery (from a previous MRSA infection), and they approved that, as well.

Nervous, they'll (Anesthesiology) be the ones to tell you what you can or can't take when you have your pre-op consult with them. Have you not had that yet? If not, surely it's coming up soon - and they'll give you all the info you need.

Regards,
          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I have an appointment this week and then I'm supposed to have another one a couple days before the surgery. I really hope to find out more details this week.

Comment

I tried not to take anything 2 weeks before...just incase. However, that was OK for me as I didnt have any significant pain I needed to treat. They did tell me tho, that I needed to take Iron as I donated my own blood & that Tylonol was ok...wasnt too long ago,but thats what I can remember. Good luck with your pre-op!
              Lynn -30.... something
              DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
              At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
              At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
              Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
              UW Madison, WI Hospital
              **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

acetaminophen daily limit ...

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                ... And remember that too much tylenol is bad for your liver. There's a daily total that you're not to exceed-- and that is why if you are taking a pain med post-op that also contains tylenol (like hydrocodone) they tell you not to take any tylenol.
                The safe limit is 4,000 mgs per day - and even that, for extended periods, can lead to acetaminophen toxicity (it builds up over time in your liver).

Most likely they'll send you home with Vicodin/Vicodin ES or Norco, although some surgeons prefer Oxycontin.

The most common form of Vicodin is 5/500 (5 mgs hydrocodone and 500 mgs acetaminophen), but you may get Vicodin ES, which is 7.5/750.

Norco comes in either 5/325, 7.5/325 or 10/325. Lorcet and Lortab are also blends of hydrocodone/acetaminophen, but I don't know of anyone who's discharged with something so puny.

A few of the oxycodone drugs also contain acetaminophen: Percocet contains 325 mgs, and Tylox contains 500 mgs.

Oxycontin, because it's extended release, is almost pure oxycodone. It doesn't require the amount of acetaminophen binder that the other oxy drugs do.

Percodan doesn't contain any acetaminophen: Its binder is aspirin (325 mgs). I came home on staggered doses of Percodan and Norco, but I have a ridiculously high tolerance to all narcotics (done them all during pain management ... up to, and including, methadone).

Alcohol increases the risk of liver damage while taking acetaminophen, and be careful to read the labels of any cold meds, allergy meds, etc. Most contain acetaminophen, as well, and can easily push you over 4,000 mgs.

Regards,
                Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I was told to take a multi-vitamin and discussed which brands were okay. Before surgery I was allowed to take tramadol and tylenol. Also I had to take a lot of iron because I donated my own blood and also because they "took too much" and realized the calculation error in the middle of a double-double donation. yikes.

I would just clear everything with your surgeon/anesthesiologist to be sure.
                  25 years old
                  double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                  nearly perfect correction
                  fused t-10 to pelvis
                  with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                  Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                  Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                  Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                  Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
                  X