Two and a bit days to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two and a bit days to go

It's Saturday night and I'm ticking off all my "lasts" for a while. Last walk in the morning. Last swim today. Last paddle in the kayak last Wednesday. Last visit from my grandaughters yesterday.

I'm as prepared as I can be. I've asked the questions, read the book, been on holiday, walked, swum, kayaked, eaten well.

I've surprised myself at how calm I am at this stage. Not sure if it will continue to Tuesday morning, but I have only had a few moments when the nerves got the better of me but each time I've been able to distract myself and tell myself it's all going to be ok. I thought I'd be a mushy mess by this stage, I was more terrified 6 months ago! I really just want this thing over and done with now.

Tomorrow, I have the ironing to do, a last run round with the vacuum cleaner and pack my bag. Monday we leave about 1.30 to drive to Brisbane. My admission time is between 3 & 4pm. Then pre-op tests and try to get some sleep before the big day. I hope they *do* me early.

My daughter will let Michelle (Discombobulated) know how it goes and she can report here, anything of interest.

See you all on the other side!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Hi Jen
    I know you have several people in my part of the world wishing you well and I would like to be one of them too!
    Good luck with your op - your words and sentiments so echoed mine - the last this, the last that...come on over to the 'other side' we are all waiting for you....

Don't forget the deep breathing and I hope you are able to keep your calm moments with you up until you go in.
    With many best wishes and we look forward to reading your updates.
    Louisse (UK)
    Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Jennifer-- thanks for the last minute update and for arranging to let Michelle know so she can pass the word on to the rest of us.

I was noticing yesterday that it was almost your "time"-- but then I had forgotten about the time difference... so that makes it even sooner for us.

I'm glad you are feeling at peace with this right now. I remember feelings of excitement and anticipation just prior to mine-- with a few anxious moments thrown in every once in awhile-- but nothing stressful. I was ready-- and it sounds like you are too. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. And I'll be looking forward to Michelle's updates and then later, when you're up to it, to hearing from you again! Big hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

hi Jennifer!

It sounds like you have things in order. Good luck to you!!

Rachel

Comment

Jen,

It sounds like you are in a good state of mind. Keep positive. I know what you mean about counting off 'last' times that you do things. I was even so stupid as to tell my husband that last summer was going to be 'my last good summer'. I don't know WHAT I was thinking. You will do fine.

This is something that I did when I was in the room waiting to be taken in. The anesthesiologist came over to go over all the info with me and my husband, and I kept asking when I could get the 'happy juice.' I was nervous beyond belief. So after I signed papers and heard all his info, he gave me a sedative right there. I vaguely remember them pushing me towards the OR, but I don't think I remember one minute being in there conscious. That helped a lot. I was really afraid of being awake in the OR room and being 'officially' put under--you know, like you see on TV. I don't know if that makes any sense. To me, it seemed that one minute I was being pushed towards the OR, and the next instant, I was waking up in the recovery room with my husband standing next to me. In reality, it was 9+ hours later.

Good luck Jen. I will be praying for and thinking of you. I'm looking forward to an update from Michelle.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good luck, Jen!

We'll be here for you!

Marian

Comment

You're going to do great, Jen ;-). I did "the last" thing too, and in reality, it wasn't that long before I was able to do things again I didn't think I would!

Glad to see you're calm and positive ... it'll serve you well, and like Debbe said, the surgery (no matter how long is actually is) takes just an instant. Once they wheel you back, it seems mere seconds before you're in your room ;-) - and on your way to recovery.

I look forward to a great report from Disc (and Michelle, how are YOU, anyway?), and I'll be thinking of you!

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Very best of luck to you, Jen! You sound basically calm and ready. I'm trying to get there. Joining you on the other side in a few weeks! Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

come on over to the 'other side' we are all waiting for you....

Thanks Louise, that really put a smile on my face! I can't wait!

Thanks Susie. Sounds like the way I'm feeling is fairly common. It's such a relief to know that I am not going to pieces as expected. Well, not yet anyway! Thanks for your encouragement along the way!

Nervous, I've had 9 long months to prepare, so I really ought to be ready. I do feel I've thought of everything, organised everything and perhaps that's contributing to my calmness. Thanks for your good wishes.

Debbei, your posts, amongst others, have been tremendously helpful. Your honesty and willingness to share, has been appreciated. I hope I get that sedative before I reach the OR because I'm not looking forward to that last long ride and arrival in that room, perhaps I'll ask for one? See you on the other side!

Thank you Marion! Back soon.

Pam, thank you, too, for your honesty and advice. I can't tell you how much it helped, going from this vast unknown to forming a picture of what happens and coming to terms with it.

Everyone on this board has been great. Michelle has been emailing me, answering my questions for months and has been very encouraging. I've watched many of you go through this ordeal and come out the other side, mostly unscathed and much better for it. In case I don't get back on the board before I go, thank you so much everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    Debbei, your posts, amongst others, have been tremendously helpful. Your honesty and willingness to share, has been appreciated. I hope I get that sedative before I reach the OR because I'm not looking forward to that last long ride and arrival in that room, perhaps I'll ask for one? See you on the other side!
                    Definitely----ask for one! I'm sure they will do whatever it takes. After you get it, you won't even care any more!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jen,

It's so great that you're feeling calmer than you expected. I just know you will do great in recovery - & yes, can't wait to have you on "the other side". It's amazing to think that not long ago we were both flipping out about our respective ops, & in just a few days, we'll both be on the path to recovery

Nothing is for the "last time" - just the last time for a bit! I can't wait to hear from you in a few months telling me about the beautiful kayaking trip you just took down that magnificent secret place in the river.

Usually, you'll see the anaesthetist at your bedside before you even head for the pre-op room, as part of the pre-op stuff the day before. It's pretty standard procedure for him/her to write up for meds to help you sleep that night, then you have the choice to take it or not. S/he will also ask if you want a pre-med, as a standard question - & they're pretty good these days. I don't usually take them, but again he wrote it up in case I wanted one, & I did use it this time. All I can recommend is to have your pre-op shower BEFORE the pre-med Anyhow, the meds are so good that I dozed through about the last half hour before going down from the ward to theatre, lol. I only vaguely remember going into the pre-op room & having the temporary IV placed (several times...but only because my veins are so dodgy, lol). I asked, as I always do, for the anaesthetist to tell me before he put me out completely...but then I must've dozed off again LOL Point being, they're Good Meds, & Good Doctors....and I know you will do Great.

You know I'll be checking my inbox compulsively from Tuesday afternoon - & yep, I'll post here as soon as I hear news.

Jen, spinal surgeries are almost always started in the morning - usually really early (like, I went down at 7:30am for an 8:30am start - that will be Monday afternoon in America). So, folks, I'll have news sometime after that, whenever Jen's daughter can let me know.

Well, as always, I've rambled on! Jen, I'm thinking much of you & the family. I really, really hope that calmness lasts - you've beyond earned it!

You take care, & take it easy.

--

Pam, thanks for asking. I'm ok, if still NSF's resident crazy If you're interested, I posted up some before/after x-rays of my now insanely-metallic spine - here. It's incredible what can be done these days!

Comment

Hi Jen

Oh no, I'm late, or are you early? Australia is a day ahead of us. No I'm not late, you are just early! LOL

There will be no more lasts, just firsts.

You will do fine, talk to ya soon.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jen....again, like I said in the PM I sent you the other day....wishing you the best of luck!! Im looking forward to Michelle's posts on how you are doing! Take care & stay brave!!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital
                          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

It's 6 am and we leave for Brisbane about midday. Didn't get my bag packed because I had a lovely day of visitors, phone calls, emails and dinner out last night. So will do that and some last minute things then sit back and let it all happen!

Janet, thank you. I didn't see your post there. I will talk to you before your surgery. I hope these last few weeks go by easily for you. I know that's a big ask, but I have been reading about others being calm in the last weeks and days and thought that would never happen to me, but it has. I hope it does for you too.

Michelle, I was going to email you today but will answer your post here. I just have to thank you for being so encouraging, so helpful, so upbeat, all whilst you were enduring your own ordeal. Your friendship is very much valued and I hope to hear soon, that your anaemia is under control and you're feeling much less tired and can do the things you want to do without that constant drain.

I am expecting Laine to send out her first email in the evening, depending on when she can get her three babies to bed and asleep!

Keep up the ramblings Michelle, everything you say is helpful, I can assure you. "See" you soon!

Ed, almost there. Hard to believe eh?! I have taken on board everything you've told me and I'm as ready as I can ever be. Take care of yourself and enjoy your new, reclaimed life. Talk soon.

Comment

Good luck Michelle! I'm from Melbourne and will be having my surgery on April 27. I'm sure it'll all go really well
                              Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
                              46° curve
                              Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Working...
                              X