Had Pre-op appointment today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had Pre-op appointment today

It went well. It actually went way faster than I expected.

I didn't really have any questions for them though as I have done so much research that I practically could answer the questions myself.

Most of the stuff they did tell me, I had already been told before or knew from research.

The one thing I DID find out that is cool is that once she is eating regular foods again, she is on no restrictions for food, so I can bring her in whatever food she wants. I was surprised by that as I thought diet was under much stricter control in a hospital...of course, the only time I was ever in one was having babies but I know they pretty much kept track of everything I ate. I don't know if I will but it was nice to know about.

One thing that is weird is that she has pretty low blood pressure and apparently thick blood (they didn't say that but I was given hints on ways to thin it out naturally)? I know her hands are always like ice & I joke she has no blood in her fingers but it's probably more accurate than I realize. I know she clots super easily which is a good thing but it made it difficult for them to even get the few vials of blood they needed. She was poked, then they had to re-pook her after putting a heel warmer on her, using gravity and all sorts of tricks to get the blood flowing.

I'm just glad that it worked out that she couldn't donate her own blood. I really don't think they would have been able to get a full unit of blood out of her and they wanted 2 units. I think it worked out to be one of those blessings in disguises because I'm pretty sure the blood donation center would not have done this many tricks to get the blood going.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Originally posted by Beckymk View Post

The one thing I DID find out that is cool is that once she is eating regular foods again, she is on no restrictions for food, so I can bring her in whatever food she wants. I was surprised by that as I thought diet was under much stricter control in a hospital...
    My daughter had her surgery on a Tuesday and we had a pizza party on Saturday night to celebrate her release the next day. Once she was allowed to eat, she could tolerate anything and I gave her anything she wanted just to make sure she ate.

Make sure YOU don't forget to eat, drink plenty of water and sleep whenever your daughter sleeps.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My son could barely eat anything the whole time he was in the hospital. Until we significantly lowered his dose of oxycodone a couple of days after he got home, he had very little appetite or maybe just a low tolerance for food. On the day we left the hospital, he vomited a little because he was so hungry and ate a few bites of a sandwich. His appetite returned in full force once he was off most of the meds.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

For "thick" blood, make sure she drinks LOTS of water the day(s) before surgery. It will make placing an IV easier, and she'll have a better experience. If she ever gives blood in the future (for labs or donating) drinking a LOT of water (not caffeine or carbonation) will make the process better.

Sounds like you both are quite prepared and ready to go. Best wishes on Sunday/Monday.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks!

I'll have to tell her that! I'm sure she will prefer an easier time for anything to do with needles.

They just called again to make sure I didn't have any questions & ask the same 4 questions they have asked us a million times.

I think the surgery is going to be about 7 or 7:30 AM

I wonder how many more phone calls I'll get. I kind of thought it was pretty close to call after a visit on Friday to get a call on Monday! I could see maybe calling Thursday or even this coming up Friday.

I keep feeling like I should have questions or something but I really don't. The major stuff is taken care of it and the rest of the stuff is things we can roll with once we are there.
          Becky

Comment

Originally posted by Carmell View Post
            For "thick" blood, make sure she drinks LOTS of water the day(s) before surgery. It will make placing an IV easier, and she'll have a better experience. If she ever gives blood in the future (for labs or donating) drinking a LOT of water (not caffeine or carbonation) will make the process better.
            Extra hydration is actually good advice for anyone before donation or blood work. I donate regularly and it takes me *forever* to drip out a pint (generally 4-5 people will come in and out before I'm done!).

Beckymk, Carmell's comment about the IV made me think of something I always have them do that makes that a more pleasant (or at least "less UNpleasant") experience: Have them give her a shot of buffered lidocaine where they plan to place the IV.

It stings a bit (not bad), but then she won't feel them placing the IV at all (which to me is far more uncomfortable - especially if they have to attempt it more than once which is typical for me).

Not too much longer and y'all can put all this behind you. Best wishes!

Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

They also have these band aids with lidocaine or something similar. They put one on Jesse's hand where they would be placing the IV about 30 minutes ahead of time. They can also use it for blood draws, too.

Comment

EMLA cream isn't used as often as it used to. It was great for numbing the skin before placing an IV.

Also, there is a special light they can use to actually find the veins so the IV placement is accurate the FIRST time. Some places use them often (especially children's hospitals) other places don't see a need. I say that if she's a difficult stick, get the right equipment lined up before they even unwrap the needle. Will save her lots of emotional trauma, which in turn saves YOU emotional trauma. Good luck again.
                Carmell
                mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Originally posted by Carmell View Post
                  EMLA cream isn't used as often as it used to. It was great for numbing the skin before placing an IV.

Also, there is a special light they can use to actually find the veins so the IV placement is accurate the FIRST time.
                  You know ... EMLA never worked for me, for *anything* (like I've ever had a typical med reaction in my life - LOL).

I didn't know about the light, but how very KEWL. I guess it's a good thing I hadn't heard of it because it means I haven't been back to the hospital in over a year ;-). Unfortunately, they never have trouble *finding* my veins, they just go through them ... *sigh.
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Becky,
                    I don't have any surgery advice, but I will be thinking about you on Monday. I know you will be glad to have this all behind you! My daughter has an appointment Tuesday to probably schedule surgery for this summer. I will keep looking on this board for advice. I hope your daughter has a very successful surgery!

Becky
                    Mom to Emily 49T and 38L

Comment

Becky, sounds like your well on your way. FYI, no IVs or needles, catheters, or epidurals were placed in my daughter until she was put to sleep with the mask(gas). She even got to pick a flavor to smell. I would think this would be common practice with kids going into the surgery. Especially due to the fact there are numerous IVs placed. Good Luck, try to remain rested and nourished Tracy

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I'm really *hoping* 99.9% of all the stuff is put in her after she is under.

I definitely think we are going to try and do the drink lots of water...it certainly can't hurt.

I did tell Carolyn they called again regarding questions and she laughed when I told her I feel like they are expecting me to have more questions & feel kind of dumb that I don't have any. Carolyn told me next time they call & say "do you have any questions" -- ask "what color gown will she wear?" She was just being goofy because really that's about what it boils down to now with us. We know the answers to all the big things.

It almost feels like when the dentist was asking me about my crumbled tooth last year and kept saying "You didn't have any pain with this?" "This never bothered you?" I kept answering him no, I wasn't having any problems until all of a sudden I looked and part of my tooth was missing & then it started crumbling more....FINALLY after being asked what seemed like constantly about it, I asked if it was SUPPOSED to be hurting/bothering me. His answer was Yes, it should have been really hurting me before it got to this point. I had to get the tooth removed, found out I had no roots there..hence the reason I had no clue there was a problem prior to a biggie.

I feel that way with Shriner's now... I feel like asking them if I'm supposed to be having questions? I know it really is a good thing that they are making sure I know what is going on & we love Shriners. I'll have all the questions AFTER surgery on what I should be doing/not doing once she gets home...that's what I'm more freaked out about, when it falls to me to know if there is a problem without being able to double-check it with say a nurse who just happens to be there type of thing.

I think I'm just to the point of everybody leave me alone & let's just get this over with.

Although the lady in the cafeteria did say we looked like we knew what we were doing when I told her it was our first time there. We had vouchers for free meals & we weren't really sure 100% what we were doing or how to get things rung up. It was a good test run for the cafeteria considering that is where I'll be getting my food most of the time (other than any snackies I bring in for myself...I did find out they have a microwave & water available...so I can make my morning tea. I'm good to go! ).
                        Becky

Comment

Working...
                        X