Dr Boachie Consultation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Boachie Consultation

I am excited to have gotten an appointment with Dr. Boachie on April 2nd!!
    I am 37 and have progressive kyphoscoliosis with a double major curve. I had surgery in Dec 08 to release a tethered spinal cord but have NOT had any spinal surgery before (wore a brace for 5 years as a teenager). I am in the best shape of my life thanks to rigorous physical therapy and a daily exercise regimen before and after my last surgery. I have four kids (the youngest is 5) and I have been researching and getting advice from surgeons for over a year now. A few questions:

1 If I do plan on having the surgery in New York, how long will I likely be there? I am an OR nurse (not currently working) so I know that nothing in surgery is for certain but a rough estimate would help.

2. How many follow-up appointments are there likely to be and how are they spaced out?

3. Anyone else who has had Dr B as a surgeon --any advice?

THANK YOU!
    Jen Parker
    jennifer@wherever.org

Dr. B

Good luck with your surgery! I don't have Dr. B but a lot on this site have and I am sure you will hear from them soon! I will be 37 on March 25 with three boys 15, 9, and 1. I will have lots of help from family and husband through recovery for our little guy! Sounds as though you are doing a good job getting yourself prepared for surgery. I have been doing the same. Today, however, has not been a good day, but I am sure tomorrow will be better! Take care and good luck getting the answers that you need.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Dr. Boachie

Jennifer,
      I sent you an e-mail.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to both of you!
        Karen--I replied to your email.

Susan--we are actually almost the same age. I wrote 37 because it is right around the corner, my birthday is Mar 24. My oldest (boy) will be 14 on your birthday, then 3 daughters 12, 9 and 5.

I would love to keep in touch. I'm sorry about your bad day. Mine was yesterday, but today is great. I would love to hear about the ups and the downs as you prepare for surgery!

Jennifer

Comment

Oh to be 37 and not 57! Don't know personally this doctor but have heard lots of good things on here. Just interested in your surgery dates since mine is March 30! We'll all be in this together. Good luck to us all.
          Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Jen--Whoops, surgery isn't April--just your first appointment. I'm trying to catch up on here as we've been on vacation. I'm trying to read these too fast!
            Janet

Comment

Janet--no problem. I am anxious to hear your experiences--wow, just a little over a month away for you! I am so grateful to have found all of you--I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face all day (I have been lurking for awhile. . .so now I'm glad I jumped in)

Comment

We're glad you jumped in too! Welcome to the place that has given me a wealth of information. Janet
                Janet

Comment

Working...
                X