PDA

View Full Version : Before and after pics!

Singer
02-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey all -- I think I finally figured out how to post these....The "after" is on its side and I had trouble rotating it but you get the general idea.

Before:

After:

txmarinemom
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay, all you new post-ops ... DO NOT BEND to look at the after - LOL!

Nice, Chris! He *did* get you straight ;-).

Pam

LynnMarie74
02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Okay, all you new post-ops ... DO NOT BEND to look at the after - LOL!

Nice, Chris! He *did* get you straight ;-).

Pam

lol...I didnt...I turned my lap top onto its side!! :) I think its w/in my 5 lb weight restriction!

Singer....nice correction!! Im hoping mine stays at the 10* mark-ish. Im so jealous of your fusion...that it goes to T10..lucky duck!!! ;0)

I will have to try to post the before & after pics...when I get them! Im not that computer savy,so we shall see.....

leahdragonfly
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great pics--that's some impressive hardware.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but how much has your mobility changed, and how hard has it been to get used to it?

Take care,

Heathmoose
02-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Great pics Chris! You got great correction!

asccbodypro
02-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Chris,

Very impressive! I can only hope for such a good correction! I will keep my fingers crossed!

Susan

debbei
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Chris,

HOLY MOLY!! No wonder you look so perfect now! That is absolutely remarkable.

LindaRacine
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Chris...

I don't rotate very well, so I could only view your x-ray for a second at a time. Do you have both posterior and anterior implants? I do, and it's been quite a while since I've seen anyone else with the same setup.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Regards,
Linda

titaniumed
02-25-2009, 02:29 AM
I couldnt look without rotating. Hope this helps

Chris
Your illiac crest heights look pretty even in your pre x-ray. Thats quite a bend down low, similar to the way mine was.
Are those leaves in there? Or am I having an alien abduction? You guys remember that post, It was a classic!
Ed

Singer
02-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Ed, I bow to your genius! Thank you for righting the picture, but now that I look at it, it appears to be backwards....the longer rod should be on the right, not the left. And yes, my pelvis was pretty even. Even though I tilted a bit to the left, I hid the big hip deformity pretty well with baggy tops.

Yes Linda, I have A/P rods: anterior rod is T10-L5, and the posterior rod is L2 to L5. It seems to me that surgeons nowadays are moving toward posterior approaches only and/or avoiding the huge anterior incisions you and I had.

Leah, my mobility was very much affected, but it's loosened up some in the last few months. I do have trouble reaching my feet and doing things like wiping up a spot on the floor or feeding the cat. My arms are very short, which doesn't help. I'm still improving month to month, though.

Thanks for all replies!

CHRIS WBS
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow, Chris, Dr. Boachie sure did a beautiful job of fixing your spine. You should see my x-rays. Theyíre really frightening. When they were first presented to me as I lay moaning in my hospital bed, all I could think is "no wonder I feel like Iíve been run over by a bus."

It seems to me that surgeons nowadays are moving toward posterior approaches only and/or avoiding the huge anterior incisions you and I had.

Maybe so, but I donít think you would have gotten such a fabulous correction with posterior alone.

titaniumed
02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
With me, it was a freight train a mile long and hit with every axle. They tied me down. LOL I guess I was flipping out. They even tied down my right arm and my shoulder was broken. I was rough on the male nurses in ICU, not the female nurses, just the guys. You might say, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was in combat mode, fighting for my life, and didnt realize this till my visitors told me I was being a little rough on the guys in ICU.

I went back down there at about 2 months later and apologised. I felt bad about it. They said that it happens.

Remember in the movie 'Frankenstein" when Igor says "Its alive", well it was kinda like that. LOL

Here is a pic of me in ICU

CHRIS WBS
02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Are you serious? Were you really tied down? Love the pic of you in ICU. At least you had a smile on your face.

Singer
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Ed, you're a scream...!

I don't remember much about the ICU. As long as the Dilaudid was flowing, I was fine.....

Susie*Bee
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Chris-- thanks so much for sharing. Isn't it amazing what our doctors can do?!!! I find x-rays to be pretty fascinating-- my goodness, we all sure were curvy! I love looking at people's scoli x-rays-- especially before and after ones. I just added some digital to my signature (just got them at my appt. on the 12th-- I'm amazed by my reconstruction too, although maybe I'm not quite as straight as you are-- but I'm still really good. :cool: I have to keep telling myself not to email them to all my friends and family-- they would be bored, I'm sure. I just think that all of us who've been through this can't help but be in awe of the drastic changes made to our spines... We are pretty cool that way, don't you think? And the x-rays show it so plainly, in black and white (and a little floral coloring if held up to a window for the picture...)

I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. It may take us turtles longer, but we still keep getting better and stronger. ;) Just wait another year or so and there's no telling what we'll be up to. :D

Ed-- you must have a virtual storehouse of funny clips and pics. Thanks for always providing entertainment to us! And how is being back to work going for you? Hopefully not too taxing...

titaniumed
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I didn't remember anything at all about ICU. I lost a week. When they brought me back from the twilight zone, it was a big surprise. They used rubber hoses on my wrists as I was a hose puller. (NG tube)

They pretty much had to keep me knocked out for about 10 days. I had no pca button and had to beg for a fix or a shot. They came every 4 hours. I watched the clock intently. They rotated Morphine,Dilaudid, and this heavy duty version of Lortab as you build up immunities VERY quickly.

Right now I have the flu. Its been fun coughing 2000 times per day. I don't really want to spread this around and that's why I'm posting today from home. I have the occasional fatigue days, maybe once every 10 days where I will nap in the afternoon. My PT on my arm now includes weight training. That has really helped my back. I never did PT on my back as it was a long slow recovery. I noticed quite a bit of improvement with my back after starting PT 8 months post scoli surgery. The exercising of the arms really had a positive effect on the paraspinal muscles up high in my back. I also worked both arms with all the exercises.

Chris
Dr B really straightened you up down low. I still have probably about a 25 degree cobb down low.

The look on Frankenstein's face says " Igor, when you remove the strap, I will kill you" LOL
I know that look and I know that feeling.
Ed

debbei
02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Ed,

You never told us you were such a cutie!! LOL

I hope you feel better soon. Didn't you recently start that new job? Now that you're out in contact with the public every day you get exposed to more germs....ick. Feel better soon. I hate to cough or sneeze, it's uncomfortable. Knock on wood I haven't been sick since my surgery. (maybe because I'm not out in the working world yet? :) )

titaniumed
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Debbe

I forgot about the sneezing. One sneeze would floor me there for a while.

I think that the older you are, its more reason to be conservative with your progress. I took it real easy with my back and shoulder recoveries and it worked well. Its something that really isn't worth pushing. There is a big difference between age 40 and 50. and so on.

If you can, I wouldn't go back to work for a while. Like a year. Picking up a cold at 4 mos post is just one example.

Its so much easier not to spend money that it is to make it sometimes.

Its funny, absolutely no responses from my Fabio pics, but when I put up Frankenstein, I get a complement. It it the bolts? or the haircut?
Ed

txmarinemom
02-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I forgot about the sneezing. One sneeze would floor me there for a while.

I think I remember Singer saying she didn't sneeze for months after surgery, and neither did I.

A year out, however, if I sneeze in the early morning before I'm loose, my neighbors can probably hear the "UGH!!!" (followed by a brief, explicit string of expletives, likely illegal in a few states). I know my dog runs and hides.

It's not really *painful*, per se, just having your head thrown forward is an unexpected shock to everything that's still tight. No residual soreness afterwards.

Regards,
Pam

titaniumed
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Oops, I sneezed again

Qikdraw
02-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Chris,

VERY nice correction! Very nice indeed! :D

Its odd, but while I slept a lot in ICU I remember a lot of it too. I remember when they removed my catheter, even though I was on morphine, it hurt like hell. It felt like it came from my throat all the way down. (After my second surgery I took that one out on my own) I remember being fed chopped ice, visitors, doctors, watching scoobee doo and writing things for the nurses on a pad of paper. (resperator kept me from being able to speak) I don't remember nurses rushing into the room because the resperator alarm went off a few times. That is burned in my mothers memory though.

The sneezing.... Yeah, it was over a year after where I could sneeze without pain. Like you said Pam, its not really 'painful' it just hurts. heh Laughing hurt too. After my first operation we had friends come and visit and one guy just kept me laughing so hard. The more it hurt, the more I laughed. :D

Brad