PDA

View Full Version : Location of incision?

alwayzsomethin'
02-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm just curious, my daughter had two curves, Thoracic & lumbar, with rotation. Her surgery was a posterior fusion, with the incision down the center of her back. Has anyone had a fusion, with access going into the side? I know of someone with only a lumbar curve facing surgery, and they were told the dr. would go in through the side, and that there might be a risk of one leg shorter than the other, also. I can't picture this. To me, access from the center of the back would be the most ideal. (better access, view, less involvment with muscles) ??? Is this common? My daughter had a great outcome with her surgery. Her shoulders are level, her hump is gone, her hips are level, head is straight, & her legs are even! Any thoughts or input:confused:

Carmell
02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Side access incisions are typically done for anterior fusions. Anyone having an anterior fusion will have an incision along their side. Sometimes a lumbar fusion needs anterior access to stabilize the spine better than "just" posterior fusion. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure.