PDA

View Full Version : Brace after surgery?

treacherous
02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Does everyone have to wear a brace after surgery, or does it depend on the doctors discretion?

I am going to be needing surgery soon. I am dreading having to go through wearing a brace again. I spent almost two years in one.

briarrose
02-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I think it depends on the surgeon. My surgeon had one made for me and said it was up to me whether or not I wanted to wear it. He said he didn't see a difference in his patients who wore the brace and those who didn't. I wore it in the car for about 2.5 months (mainly to protect myself in case I was in an accident). I also wore it when I walked outside for about 2 months (again to protect myself in case I fell).

asccbodypro
02-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I have to wear a brace for approx. 6-8 weeks. Which I am not looking forward to. I am also having the lumbar discs removed so I guess that's why the brace. Whatever works is what I will do. Oh the fun stuff ahead!;)

LindaRacine
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi...

It's definitely up to the surgeon. Many surgeons put all adult scoliosis patients in a brace post-op while others never put their adult patients in a brace. While it wasn't overly comfortable, I actually felt mine gave me an extra measure of security. They're meant to remind the wearer not to twist or bend, which without the brace, is easy to forget.

Rgards,
Linda

debbei
02-20-2009, 06:22 AM
I didn't have one. I asked my surgeon prior to surgery and he said it wasn't necessary.

Susie*Bee
02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I wore one for about 5 months post-op, and I agree with Linda that it provides protection-- and it gives you a feeling that you're not going to blow something by moving wrong or getting hit...

My surgeon does not brace all adults, and I didn't know for sure if I'd have a brace or not until around my last pre-op appointment. Some factors that can influence whether you wear one are length of fusion (mine was a long one--15 vertebrae), age and strength. I'm not necessarily talking about muscle strength, but condition of your spine, etc. The brace provided the support that I very much needed. I can't imagine how it would have been without it those first months. :eek: I had a lot of discomfort set in again once I started getting weaned off the brace.

trishthedish
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I had a brace for 4 months, and as Linda says, it does remind you not to bend or twist the wrong way. As others have mentioned, it does give you a sense of security when walking, especially in a mall or other crowded places where you might fall or people might bump into you. Even though it's made of light materials, I remember it feeling sooo heavy when they put it on me right after surgery. I felt so weak! But that feeling does go away as you get used to it. Be sure and stock up on white cotton tank tops or t shirts to wear under it. They will keep you feeling dry and your brace nice and clean.

debbei
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I had a brace for 4 months, and as Linda says, it does remind you not to bend or twist the wrong way. As others have mentioned, it does give you a sense of security when walking, especially in a mall or other crowded places where you might fall or people might bump into you. Even though it's made of light materials, I remember it feeling sooo heavy when they put it on me right after surgery. I felt so weak! But that feeling does go away as you get used to it. Be sure and stock up on white cotton tank tops or t shirts to wear under it. They will keep you feeling dry and your brace nice and clean.

As I said above, I didn't have a brace and did fine without it....but initially, when I was in a crowd, no matter how small, I was always panicy about someone bumping into me. I think I gave a few people who came to close to me the evil eye :)

txmarinemom
02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Rarely are thoracic fusion patients braced: Very little bending is done through the thoracic area, and the ribs offer adequate protection (a natural brace of sorts).

Lumbar patients, on the other hand, are often prescribed one, as are patients who've experienced prior pseudoarthrosis.

Any of the above, just like anything else, can vary by doctor. For instance, while I don't personally know anyone who's been braced after a thoracic fusion, I know several who have NOT been braced after lumbar surgery.

Regards,
Pam

LynnMarie74
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi. I had a Thorasic & a Lumbar curve which were both corrected w/the fusion. My Doc said it was not needed either. I often wondered why some did and some didnt but again, we are all different & we all have diff. docs w/different opinions. I can see where the brace would be a reminder not to move incorrectly. I catch myself almost on a daily basis twisting a little or bending a little bit too much...mostly when Im in the bathroom. I always say to myself "ohh crap, remember next time!!" One of these times I will listen to myself!! :)

LisaMS
02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I wore a brace for 2 months, and I have just weaned off it completely at 3 months. It's not as big or cumbersome as the Milwaukee brace, and you don't sleep in it. At least not the kind I had. I agree with others that it's mostly to remind you not to twist or bend. Also, when I was out, it did feel like I had a bit of "armor" around me, and also people could see it and so when I asked for help with a carry-out at the grocery store, I didn't have to even explain why--they could see that something was going on. I had a lumbar curve, so that may be why I was braced.

Good luck!

Beckymk
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I haven't heard if DD will have a brace or not. I don't think so but I would LOVE for her to have one.

I keep thinking putting her in bubble wrap will make me feel so much better when she goes back to school. ;) At least with a brace if she gets josstled it won't be quite as bad???????

LynnMarie74
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Bubble wrap....now there's an idea!! LOL I wish I would have thought of that! Thanks for the laugh...I needed it this morning!

Thats all...take care, & have a fabulous weekend! :)~

Susie*Bee
02-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I wore a brace for 2 months, and I have just weaned off it completely at 3 months. It's not as big or cumbersome as the Milwaukee brace, and you don't sleep in it. At least not the kind I had. I agree with others that it's mostly to remind you not to twist or bend. Also, when I was out, it did feel like I had a bit of "armor" around me, and also people could see it and so when I asked for help with a carry-out at the grocery store, I didn't have to even explain why--they could see that something was going on. I had a lumbar curve, so that may be why I was braced.

Good luck!

Just wanted to mention there are lots of kinds of post-op braces that surgeons' have their patients wear. We had a thread awhile back about this... Mine was a TLSO brace, worn under my clothing (unless you want to look absolutely ridiculous!) but over a light-weight t-shirt/undershirt-- and Geish had one you wore on top of your clothing, etc., and that sounds like what Lisa's was too. I needed to wear mine when I was sitting, standing or walking-- so basically anytime when I wasn't lying down, except when showering. So I think there is no set kind of brace that is used post-op-- it probably depends on your situation and your surgeon.

You can do a search-- or this link has pics of Geish's and my braces (posts #10 and 11) and a lot of various brace discussion... http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7308&highlight=post-op+braces