Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lack of/no control of stomach muscles....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lack of/no control of stomach muscles....

Help!? I mentioned this in a reply from another post,but I wanted it here too....sorry. Ever since my surgery, I have been unable to suck in my tummy! Its really frustrating to not be able to do this. Not only can I not suck it in, but its almost forced outward, which in turn, makes me look like Ive gain some weight. I have zip up sweat shirts that I wear when Im chilly, and I zipped one up the other day and it was tight! I know how it used to fit pre op and its tight now. Im the same weight now that I was pre op & having picked up some height( 1 1/2 inches) you would figure I would look & be slimmer. Anyone have this same issue? Im 5 weeks post op.....let me know...I sure hope I will be able to regain this muscle control...it makes me crazy & want to go on a crash diet!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

My belly stuck out a bit for about 2 months...it's really common.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Lynn...

This could be any number of things including temporary swelling, an abdominal wall defect, or too much lordosis. You should mention it to Dr. Tribus.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi Lynn...

This could be any number of things including temporary swelling, an abdominal wall defect, or too much lordosis. You should mention it to Dr. Tribus.

Regards,
        Linda
        Thanks for the info....Could be swelling or still bloating...I dont think its Lordosis tho....Im looking forward to my post op....lots of questions...
        Lynn -30.... something
        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn,
          As said before, you are still REALLY early in your recovery and that is totally normal. I don't remember how long my stomach was like that, but it goes away - don't crash diet!!!! If you are really concerned, call the nurses, or your PCP. Sometimes I found the nurses at Dr. Tribus's office rude and unhelpful.

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I never experienced any of the belly, bloating or constipation issues so often described here. Guess I was just lucky. Perhaps I would have if I had undergone anterior surgery in which case these side-effects seem to be fairly common.

Comment

I definitely had that problem! It is just now starting to go away. my stomach is still swollen, but I can suck it in now...I still have a belly bump though. Did you have both an anterior and posterior surgery? I did, and I think that having that done makes it take even longer
              25 years old
              double 70+ degree curves before surgery
              Anterior on 11/11/08
              Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
              nearly perfect correction
              fused t-10 to pelvis
              with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
              Broke left rod on 10/24/09
              Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
              Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
              Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry View Post
                Lynn,
                As said before, you are still REALLY early in your recovery and that is totally normal. I don't remember how long my stomach was like that, but it goes away - don't crash diet!!!! If you are really concerned, call the nurses, or your PCP. Sometimes I found the nurses at Dr. Tribus's office rude and unhelpful.

Best,
                Anya
                Funny that you say that....about the nurses...I couldnt agree more. Every single time I call, they are nasty or at least seem like either they hate their jobs or they hate talking to me. Also, they give you grief when you try to get a refill. There are 2 nurses there, Ellen & Rose that I like, and are nice on the phone. Did they tell you that they wanted you off most/all meds by 6 weeks?? The only thing I need to keep taking is the Gabatine for the nerves..I wanna say she said Id be on that for about 6 months...I think.
                Lynn -30.... something
                UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Oh yes, Lynn - I couldn't agree more. I used to cry after talking to the nurses because I felt they treated me so badly and were so horrible about pain control. My PCP got really mad at how they treated me and completely took over my pain control. It was SO much better once I stopped dealing with Dr. Tribus's nurses. I wonder whether we should tell him how we feel??

Best,
                  Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry View Post
                    Oh yes, Lynn - I couldn't agree more. I used to cry after talking to the nurses because I felt they treated me so badly and were so horrible about pain control. My PCP got really mad at how they treated me and completely took over my pain control. It was SO much better once I stopped dealing with Dr. Tribus's nurses. I wonder whether we should tell him how we feel??

Best,
                    Anya
                    Anya----I feel silly asking this, but what is a PCP? Whoever they are...would you recomend me to them? If they are more helpful in my recovery, maybe I will be better off too! Let me know...and yes maybe we shoud say something to the office,or write a letter? Let me know....talk to you soon!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn,

Your PCP is your Primary Care Physician - so whatever doctor usually takes care of you through your health insurance. Talk to him/her and see what they can do for you - whatever it is, I'm sure it will be better than Tribus's nurses!

Good luck,
                      Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Ohhh yeah....duhh...I feel dumb now! lol I have fusion & surgeons on the brain I guess! Thats a good idea, but I think I will wait & see what happens next week @ my post op apt...I will be 7 weeks at that point....one week past the time they "want me off my meds"! lol HA! I will let you know what happens & if Im feeling fiesty enough, maybe I will then make a formal complaint! Thanks for the advice Anya!!! Take care!
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Bet you still have swelling in your tummy area, I did for a long while. My surgeon wanted to wash his hands of me after 6 weeks as far as my pain meds were concerned. Thankfully, my family dr. took over and is very understanding. By all means, let the Dr. know how you are treated by his staff! After all, his business depends on the satisfaction of his patients.

Comment

Hi, LynnMarie

Did I EVER have a swollen belly after surgery! It was awful, to say the least, and it was all due to constipation, which, in inself, was more miserable than anything the surgeon did. I used to cry from so much pain in my belly. The doc suggested I take Miralax, and that was nothing short of a miracle in my case. The swollen look finally went away, but it took a good 2 months.

Comment

My swelling isnt from constipation...thank goodness Ive had that under wraps for some time now. Dont get me wrong...it was 10 times worse when I was constipated...now its just residule...ummm.. something....muscle swelling...I guess. I dont know...all I know is that the rest of me has been (knock on wood) feeling pretty darn good, except for that! It doesnt hurt...its just...there!! Its just so obvious...how my tummy buldges out, its hard and the weirdest part, is it doesnt go down when I lay down...which it obvisouly used to. Its very odd...for those who have been pregnant before...its like that, a pregnant belly at about 18 to 20 weeks..you know, the hard belly that doesnt move. And no....Im not pregnant! ~ Yikes...what a thought/nightmare THAT would be...ughh. LOL

I will talk to the Doc next Thursday when Im in for my 7 supposed to be 6 week check up. And I know 2 things...1-If i still feel I need meds, I will let them know. If they dont want to help me, I will talk to my reg doctor about it and 2- I will certainly let Dr Tribus or someone know how Ive been treated by the nurses thus far. Not sure how far that will go...but its worth a try!
                              Lynn -30.... something
                              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Working...
                              X