PDA

View Full Version : April, May, June 2009 surgeries

Susie*Bee
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Here we go with the next bunch again. Of course, the official way to post your surgeries are on the surgery calendar, but there are many of us who like to see them lumped together this way. People can just tag on posts with their dates or send me a PM. I'll be sure to check this thread for new info, but it's a little harder for me to check through ALL the threads to see if someone mentions an upcoming surgery. Anyone can PM me a "heads up" to add someone else's surgery to the first post. Also, we can include whatever info you want about it: levels to be fused; anterior, posterior, or both; doctor, hospital, etc.

If you need help using the official surgery calendar, I explained it in this post: If you still have questions, send me a PM. http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?p=71548#post71548

APRIL
2nd - SherryM's son, John (15) - T4-T12 with thoracoplasty @ Gillette's Children Hospital in St. Paul, MN
6th - Becky331 - spinal fusion
6th - TerryB - revision w/ Dr. Lagrone in Amarillo, TX
14th - EdieG - w/ Dr. Boachie-Adjei @ HSS, NYC
15th - asccbodypro (Susan) - A/P T3-L5 fusion w/Dr. Bryan Fox: Portsmouth Naval Hospital, Portsmouth, Virginia
15th - emwonderfull (Em) - T2-L2 in Tulsa, OK
27th - Cimbom - T12-L4
28th - always smilin' - A/P revision
28th - Jo 71-09 - T9? - S1 w/ Dr. Frank Rand @ New England Baptist, Boston

MAY
11th - swilson (Simone) - w/ Dr Lloyd Hey, Raleigh NC
11th - higostudy (Maria) - revision w/ Dr. Khaled Kebaish @ Johns Hopkins
12th - Fit Kit (Kathy) - spinal fusion w/ Dr. Bridwell @ Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
12th - Ben (son of bensmommy) - will be having a hemi-vert excision (T-10) w/ Dr. Vanderhave, Ann Arbor, MI. Ben will be 23 months old.
18th - scurve4947 (Allison) - spinal fusion w/ Dr. Matthew Geck, Austin, TX
22nd - kaizan (Rhonda) - spinal fusion w/ Dr. Peter Turner @ Epworth Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
25th - crystalalice88 - spinal fusion
28th - momw/scoli's daughter, Emily (14) - T2-T11 posterior fusion @ Cook Children's in Fort Worth, Texas.

JUNE
1st- sarah105 - ~T2 to L2 w/ Dr. Grauer at Yale New Haven Hospital.
4th - dolores a - 1st of 2 surgeries-- Anterior (L3-S1)
8th - dolores a - 2nd of 2 surgeries -- Posterior (T4-pelvis)
25th - curvycakes - T1-T5 w/ Dr. Ward in Pittsburgh, PA
29th - shortlilnikki - T2 to S1 w/ Dr. DeWald @ Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
30th - 52skeedoo - posterior T5-L4

Please let me know of ones I've missed listing. Thanks!

sarah105
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi
I haven't posted on here very much but I read everyones posts all the time and it has been really helpful in making my decision about surgery. I am 20 years old and my curves are a 42 thorasic and 54 thoracolumbar. I just met with my surgeon again on Tuesday and I am scheduled to have surgery on June 1st with Dr. Grauer at Yale New Haven Hospital. I am a little nervous but not too bad yet. I'm sure that will change as the date gets closer though!

Susie*Bee
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Sarah-- good for you for getting your surgery scheduled and all. Yes, I'm sure it still seems far enough off that you're not super nervous yet. And maybe you won't get too nervous. You are young, so that is really a great advantage. :)

Do you know what your surgeon plans to do? Like how many vertebrae are being fused, etc.?

sarah105
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I haven't had the bending x-rays yet so he can't give me anything definite yet but his estimate was about T2/3 to L2ish. He said he shouldn't have to fuse too low so I should maintain most of my flexibility/mobility once I recover.:)

Susie*Bee
02-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Please let me know if you've run across others that need to be added to this... and also if you are listed here and know more info you want added, just post it on this thread or send me a PM-- I'll add it to the first post.

pmsmom
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Well, more reality setting in when I saw this thread announcing the next round of surgeries. Could you add Paula's name (my 16 year old dd).

She will have a fusion from T2 to approximately T12.

Thanks!
Marian

pmsmom
02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, more reality setting in when I saw this thread announcing the next round of surgeries. Could you add Paula's name (my 16 year old dd).

She will have a fusion from T2 to approximately T12.

Thanks!
Marian

PS--It will be a spinal fusion w/Dr. Lauerman at Georgetown University Hospital.

Susie*Bee
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Marian-- I'd be glad to. Can you let me know the date? Thanks!

pmsmom
02-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Marian-- I'd be glad to. Can you let me know the date? Thanks!

Guess I'm more out of it than I thought--her surgery is June 1 as well.

Thanks!
Marian

WNCmom
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Just a thank you, Susie, for keeping up with the scheduling!

Mary Ellen

Susie*Bee
02-27-2009, 03:38 PM
WNCmom-- It seems like a very little task... but thanks. :)

pmsmom-- got it done.

SherryM
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
My son, John is have surgery on April 2 at Gillette's Children Hospital in St. Paul Mn. We are going through Shriner's but his doctor does his surgeries at "his" hospital. John is 15, and scared :eek: Please pray for quick and complete healing. Thank you very much

Sherry

Susie*Bee
03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Added momw/scoli's daughter-- surgery on May 28th.

Susie*Bee
03-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Just added emwonderfull's surgery to our list in the first post of this thread... Are there any other new ones that I might not have seen??? Please let me know. Or if there's additional info for any of these that are listed.

Cimbom
03-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Exactly four weeks till mine tomorrow. Not like I'm counting down or anything :p Worried but sort of looking forward to it too. Just have a small and I guess irrational fear that I'll regret the surgery but not too nervous right now. Seems to be a bit up and down in that regard

Susie*Bee
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Just adding EdieG's surgery... Any others I might have missed? I've really been busy lately-- and it's going to get worse. My first grandbabies are due in May (two of them), my other daughter's college graduation is then too, then her wedding in June. Plus work keeps me busy too, of course. I'm sorry if I've missed some surgery dates-- I always tried really hard to keep up but now I'm finding it's hard to scan all the posts for new surgeries... just too much going on in my own life, but good stuff.

Thinking of all of you with upcoming surgeries. You'll be in my prayers for a successful surgery and relatively quick recovery.

always smilin'
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Enjoy those good things in life:) Thanks for all you do!

JenniferG
04-07-2009, 08:32 PM
May I echo those words. You are an asset to this forum. You are in for one amazing May...enjoy!

Susie*Bee
04-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks, Jennifer and always. I'm excited-- and at almost 2 years post-op, I feel like I can tackle this. Last year it would have been extremely hard on me. I'm one of those that takes longer... comes with age and also how one's body responds to the surgery. It's just taken a long time to build my strength back-- and I'm still working on that. But doing better all the time! ;)

I'm adding scurve4947 (Allison)'s surgery now to the first post. Allison-- let me know when you find out which levels are being fused or any other info you want added. That goes for anyone else too. If I know, I will post. Ha ha. :rolleyes:

Time to get ready for work... Hope you all have a good day. :) Susie

PS-- Anyone know how Becky331 or TerryB are doing? They both had surgery on the 6th...

Susie*Bee
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Just a reminder there are three surgeries this week: Edie, Susan, and Em. Ladies-- you'll be in our thoughts and many prayers, and we will look forward to hearing how you do. You'll be on the other side really soon and be straighter and taller-- and that is so exciting. :) Big hugs as you get ready for your big day.

14th - EdieG - w/ Dr. Boachie-Adjei @ HSS, NYC
15th - asccbodypro (Susan) - A/P T3-L5 fusion w/Dr. Bryan Fox: Portsmouth Naval Hospital, Portsmouth, Virginia
15th - emwonderfull (Em) - T2-L2 in Tulsa, OK

Susie*Bee
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Adding shortlilnikki's surgery to the first post of this thread... scheduled for June 29th.

Any more news from our April surgeries?

dolores a
04-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Susie, my surgery dates are scheduled for June 4th (anterior) and June 8th (posterior). I finally made my decision on which surgeon to use, very comfortable with choice, will explain in another post, just wanted Susie to know the dates.

Thanks

dolores a
04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I noticed that you have listed the details of the fusion, mine will be Anterior, L3-S1 and Posterior, T4-Pelvis. Hoping that after a cat scan reading and other tests, maybe this will change to something a little less drastic! I have a meeting on Monday with the surgeons assistant, one of my biggest questions out of about 1,000 others will be what exactly will be my mobility.

Thanks again!

Susie*Bee
04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
OK, Dolores. Thanks for letting me know what to add. :) Best wishes and prayers as you finalize plans with your surgeon and find out what all is in the plan. Hugs, Susie

Susie*Bee
04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
The "three musketeers" have their surgeries tomorrow and the next day... Cimbom, always smilin', and Jo 71-09.

Also adding swilson/Simone. Any others?

shortlilnikki
04-27-2009, 02:48 AM
I was pretty surprised when I saw this... how kind of you to pay that much attention.

I heart you. :)

My surgery will be done by Dr. Dewald at Rush University in Chicago. :D

shortlilnikki
04-27-2009, 02:51 AM
John is 15, and scared :eek: Please pray for quick and complete healing. Thank you very much

Sherry

**hugs for John** I'm scared too and I'm 25. lol

If he needs anything, nicolecallas@hotmail.com is my personal email. Glad to be any help through this journey!!

Susie*Bee
04-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Added 52skeedoo yesterday and higostudy this morning. Any others?

emwonderfull
04-30-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry I forgot to ever tell you my surgery was with Dr. William Clark @ St. John Medical Center in Tulsa, Ok.

He did another surgery the day before on a lady in her thirties, so he was warmed up for me, YEA! At my 2wk post-op he said she was doing great also. But she is walking a mile two-three times a day. I haven't been very good in that dept. Not that I couldn't walk, I just wasn't. So the competitor in me kicked in..I am taking it slowly but did take two mini walks yesterday and one this morning. I remember everyone writing walk, walk, walk. I am a little more tender, but know it is for the best.

Has anyone heard from Edie, Janet or Susan?

Good luck to the next group.

kaizan
05-04-2009, 08:16 AM
HI Susie, just abit more to add to the calendar is you can, my op at the Epworth Hospital in Melbourne, Aust with Dr Peter Turner.
thanx

macky
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Kaizan I have sent you a private message.

Susie*Bee
05-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Rhonda-- do you know what levels are being fused? I got the rest added ok.

sarah105
05-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I had my pre-op yesterday and found out my surgery on June 1st will be from T2 to L2. Thanks!
Sarah

Susie*Bee
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
OK Sarah-- I got it changed. Thanks for posting about it. Not long now till you'll be on the other side of surgery. That's exciting!

JenniferG
05-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Kaizan, all the very best for tomorrow. I hope the nerves have been replaced with a desire to just have it over with. Very soon you'll be on the other side, putting all your energy into the recovery, and enjoying knowing that you are now straighter and probably a little taller! I'll be thinking of you.

Jen

shortlilnikki
06-17-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm getting nervous!! June 29th! UPDATE: They're going in through 4 small incisions on my side to remove the bottom 4 discs. THEN going in posterior T2-HOPEFULLY L5!!! He's evaluating my MRI right now to see if we can avoid the sacrum.

I haven't been on here in like 2 months or something... how is everyone?? I feel like I've missed so much!!!

Love Always,
Nikki